What's new

Open Comb Pain

These are awesome razors, I'll gladly take it if you don't want it anymore! :lol:

This is what I say to anyone that has a bad experience with a razor that is pretty much known as being a good one:

It's your fault, not the tools fault.

Open combs take practice. I use mine with feather blades and they never cut me unless I make a big mistake with angle or pressure or both.

Ok, I shaved with this open comb:
proxy.php

and I got nicked big time. If I had a skin imperfection, it's gone now (including scalp). I was using Derby blades and HoneyBee soap.

What did I do wrong or am I just going to have to get my skin used to it?

I have sold off everyone I had. I looked like I was in a cat fight when I was done shaving, but damnit I'm a Tech man! Love me Tech!

I tend to only use the open comb razors when I have a few days of beard growth. This seems to work better for me.

That does seem to make a difference, I agree.

OP: Slow down. Every open-comb disaster I have is from going too fast. It is not an Aristocrat or a Tech, it will get you if you screw around.

Last edited:
I have three razors with that head style including one with the same handle. They are the best shavers I have, especially when paired with a Bolzano or a Feather. I have open combs from Merkur, Hoffritz and a gillette old. All are far more aggressive than the version you have.

I must agree with others here and recommend you change the Derby for a Personna or a Feather maybe.

Just goes to show YMMV.

Well, I spent a lot of time shaving with an SS shaver, trying out different blades and getting my technique down (thank goodness for having fast growing hair, just not a lot of it on top). Thus far, the blades that work for me are Astra and Feather. Now I'm going to pick up the open comb and give it another shot.

I refuse to give it up. I WILL shave with it untill I draw no more blood, one way or the other, I will win. Especially since I bought another beauty from Jack.

Open Comb Razor, just something so manly-macho about it :001_cool:

For what it's worth, I tried an open comb (NEW, I think) shortly after starting DE shaving and had the devil's own time with it. I was pretty sure that they were nasty aggressive monsters that were justifiable made obsolete by safety bar TTO designs, and went back to the gentle arms of my Techs, Super Speeds, Slims, etc.

Months later, I tried the NEW anew, and all of a sudden it shaved great! Still more aggressive, but what a shave!

The difference? My technique had matured. My prep was better, my lather was better, and I had begun to recognize feedback from the razor more subtle than the bite of a nick or cut.

I think the angle on an open comb is more critical, and less forgiving when you vary from the 30 degree ideal.

Keep at it, or if it gets frustrating, set it aside and revisit it in a few months. I still love safety bar razors, but if I want a really close shave, I reach for an open comb most of the time. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom