What's new

Omega Shaving Brushes

Right now I have a cheap Body Shop brush and would like to upgrade. There are a lot of recommendations on the site but I'm suffering more of an aesthetic dilemma.

I am in love with the bake-lite, acrylic handle look. For example these new omega's.

The problem is the bristles on all of these are low end boar or synthetic and I would like a decent badger brush. This is a stupid problem I realize and if there's not a simple answer I'm just going to buy a cheaper Rooney brush but I would like to know if there are any manufactures that make similar looking handles with nice brushes. Thanks!

I just got an Omega 80265:

proxy.php

It was inexpensive but I would hardly call it low end. It is quite nice.

Do you think it would be an improvement over my old brush though? I just assumed low end based on price as I would be willing to spend like $40. Maybe I'll just buy one and try it out.

I think I'm just suffering brush envy after combing though all the different brush posts on the site :)

idleivey,

You definitely need one. Your other brush needs company. While you are at it, I'll suggest getting a Rooney 1/1 because this will ultimately devolve into that hah.

I like the the color combinations of those handles though. Maybe I need to get one until I come across and Ever-Ready I like.

You can buy a Edwin Jagger Best Badger Brush for around $40. They are the same as the highly regarded Crabtree & Evelyn Best Badger Brush. Or, as Sueto suggested, buy a Rooney Pure Badger for about the same price.

I just got an Omega 80265:

proxy.php

It was inexpensive but I would hardly call it low end. It is quite nice.

I got one of these from SCS for $8 shipped and if find it to be a lot softer and overall a better performer than my Edwin Jagger boar hair brush that was twice as much. I personally, don't see any real reason to spend a lot of money on a brush now that I have one of these, because I don't see the performance getting better relative to price (ie I don't see a $40 brush being 5 times nicer than this bad-boy). Its a good value.
The Jaguar brushes have been getting good press in recent threads too.

Penworks and Penchetta make a nice brush and have a nice variety of handles from gem to old school wood ones. And don't knock the boar brushes, Omega makes quite a few nice ones and it's nice to have to compare.

idleivey,

You definitely need one. Your other brush needs company. While you are at it, I'll suggest getting a Rooney 1/1 because this will ultimately devolve into that hah.

I like the the color combinations of those handles though. Maybe I need to get one until I come across and Ever-Ready I like.

Hah! Ok yah you pretty much nailed it there. Prices for knots are pretty reasonable, I think i'll just break down and get a Rooney 1/1 and keep an eye out of a vintage Ever-ready and make my own Frankenstein brush!

i have an omega 1098 professional boar brush and it is a bit long but works like a champ and ohh so silky smooth

Penworks and Penchetta make a nice brush and have a nice variety of handles from gem to old school wood ones. And don't knock the boar brushes, Omega makes quite a few nice ones and it's nice to have to compare.

Wow Penworks is beautiful! Also didn't mean to slam boar brushes just assumed lower quality because of the lower price which is a silly thing to do :)

At first I wouldn't dare calling Omega boars low end; you are missing something in your life!! :biggrin:

Secondly I think you should dig deeper in the Omega website; I think this, this and this are the kind of brushes you were looking for. They have got a lot more under "badger brushes" ! :devil:

I've got my eye on one of these puppies:
proxy.php

If/when they are back in stock, that is....

Definitely has a vintage bakelite look to it

proxy.php

Oh, the 21047! Gary over at Shoebox might not have any in stock right now, but I did a little searching, asked some questions and found out that Em's Place is carrying the brush in stock currently. :whistling:

P.S. It's the last Omega listed in her Boar and Synthetic Shaving Brushes section.

proxy.php

Dunno about the bakelite look, but it does have nice looking handle, much better than the pic shows. ! :001_smile

The back side actually looks nicer than the front ( said the Bishop to the Nun )

( I'm normally a solid color type of guy ) :001_tongu

Last edited:
proxy.php

That is a neat a little brush. I have the badger version of it, the #599. I think I picked it up for $40. A little brush that does a monster job on lathering.

idleivey, I don't think you'll be disappointed in omega.

Omega makes some fine brushes. They can make them rather inexpensively but I would not call them low end. We are lucky we can pick them up so cheaply.

Top Bottom