What's new

Old Razor

Hi,
I picked up this straight razor the other day. I am thinking of restoring it. What would the experts here say? Do I have the chance of making a decent shaved out of it?

The answer to that is, it really depends on the steel & your skill. The toe is heavily worn & removing that pitted edge will wear the whole razor even more.
I'd just call it practice & if you get a shaver at the end. It's a bonus.

Legion

Staff member
+1

When I play with razors like that I always set out expecting to fail, but doing it anyway for experience.

Having said that, I have gotten some good shavers out of razors other wrote off, so it is always worth a try.

If it is a wedge there is a lot of steel so the pitting near/at the edge may not be a huge issue.

Also, that may not be toe heavy hone wear as for a couple years at the end of the 1830's there were razors produced in a style of wider heel than toe.

This is my I Pearce that measures 13/16 at the heel and tapers to 9/16 at the toe. There definitely wasn't any hone wear to cause this and Lummus' article on old sheffield razors mentions these (and shows a picture of one as an example).

Would need clearer pictures of the toe area to see if it is heavy hone wear or not.

proxy.php

Thanx for the heads up on the unusual design Joe.
Is yours part of a set ?

No - it actually is a razor once owned by Lummus himself. I picked it up from Robert Doyle's auction awhile back and only knew about the design from reading the Lummus article before bidding. They were only produced for 2-3 years like this I believe at the very end of the 1830s.

Edit: Actually maybe it is part of a set. Just noticed the number "2" on the front scale. Definitely wasn't another one on Doyles auction, but you can be sure if I see a number "1" like this on eBay I'll be bidding crazy high. I have a thing for paired sets.

Edit: Actually maybe it is part of a set. Just noticed the number "2" on the front scale. Definitely wasn't another one on Doyles auction, but you can be sure if I see a number "1" like this on eBay I'll be bidding crazy high. I have a thing for paired sets.

3 -7 could see you looking for an extra job :lol:

It looks like the shape of the blade to me. I haven't seen many of them and I think they're pretty rare. I'd be looking to do a sympathetic refurbishment on it and then using it.

also, that may not be toe heavy hone wear as for a couple years at the end of the 1830's there were razors produced in a style of wider heel than toe.

There definitely wasn't any hone wear to cause this and lummus' article on old sheffield razors mentions these (and shows a picture of one as an example).

+1

Hi,
Thanks for the help. I am going to give it a shot. Iam going to try and keep it all original, including the horn scales. I am going to take my time with it. I will be posting pictures when completed.
I think it will be hand sanded, I guess the angle grinder will have to wait for something else :001_smile
Iam looking forward to shaving with this one.
Thanks again for the help.

Seeing one covered in grim then seeing one that is cleaned up would make me believe that's how they were designed. Interesting looking thats for sure, I wouldn't turn my nose up to it.

Very interesting razor. I have always wondered how a wedge could be honed so unevenly. Now when I see one like that I'll look closer for hone wear.

Top Bottom