What's new

OC razors (want to try Fatip Piccolo)

Hey everyone. I tried the Muhle R41 a little while back, and i really enjoyed how it felt (blade feel) and it's efficiency. My problem with it was ATG. No matter what blade i used, or what angle, i kept getting extreme tugging on my neck. Fine with the grain, cross the grain, and against the grain on my cheeks, though i have very fine hairs on my face. The tugging ATG on my neck followed by a lot of nicks and irritation.

Do open combs have this problem in general? I do want to try another open comb, been looking at the Fatip Piccolo (I usually have a very basic taste, but that special edition black and gold looks very nice) and i'm wondering if i'll have the same issue as with the R41.

The R41 doesn’t clamp the blade overly so the resulting „chatter“ might have been the culprit for the tugging.

You won’t have that with the Piccolo but also not the pronounced bladefeel of the R41.

Avoid the Special Edition as there were issues with the durability of the black coating. All other finishes are fine.

I like the Piccolo but am even more fond of the open comb Slant (FOCS) for a carefree shave.

766B8DAB-D5CD-48D1-B29D-27DF67010BC0.jpeg

D56FF091-354B-496B-A8BA-73AF850BE825.jpeg

The R41 doesn’t clamp the blade overly so the resulting „chatter“ might have been the culprit for the tugging.

You won’t have that with the Piccolo but also not the pronounced bladefeel of the R41.

Avoid the Special Edition as there were issues with the durability of the black coating. All other finishes are fine.

I like the Piccolo but am even more fond of the open comb Slant (FOCS) for a carefree shave.

View attachment 1765089

View attachment 1765092
Ah, perfect. Thank you for your input.

...Do we know that exact reason for the durability issues of the coating? Too hot water? It looks so nice.... Though i would save 50% going for the normal edition

I've been thinking about the slant...but i've stayed off from it because of it's lack of symmetry (i know....it's dumb. But it's who i am). I'm not a 100% it would be an issue, might think about it a bit more.

For all of the r41’s aggressive qualities, it really struggles against the grain by causing a lot of irritation. In contrast, the Merkur 15c, which is very mild, excels against the grain.
Same sharp blade did fine against the grain in my R89.... Weird that they designed the R41 like that. Also had plenty of time to fix it

...Do we know that exact reason for the durability issues of the coating? Too hot water? It looks so nice.... Though i would save 50% going for the normal edition

I've been thinking about the slant...but i've stayed off from it because of it's lack of symmetry (i know....it's dumb. But it's who i am). I'm not a 100% it would be an issue, might think about it a bit more.
I read something of the plating not correctly bonding with the base plating. The razor itself is from brass so no issues there.

It is a black coating, not a plating as some people are calling it (underneath the coating, there is a normal plated brass finish). The initial versions were not very durable. It used to basically wear off after the razor has been used for a few months, leaving the razor looking like an antique with a mottled appearance.

Supposedly, Fatip has improved the coating process to be more durable. My Fatips are all nickel or chrome plated, so I haven't tried the coated ones.

I've been thinking about the slant...but i've stayed off from it because of it's lack of symmetry
Slants are ugly ducklings and I too had a challenging time getting over their weird geometry but I am glad I did as I am almost a slant only shaver now. You should really try one as it just may be what you need regarding the neck irritation and at around $30 for the all brass Fatip, it is a low risk high performance proposition.

@Tonikallinn , please get a Fatip with just an open comb head in either chrome, gold, or nickel and take the time to make it work for you. Once you get used to them, they’re smooth, nimble, and pretty much carefree. They’re persnickety, but they’re fun.
Just ordered a nickel Grande, along with some soaps from Stirling and a 25mm STF brush from ApShaveCo (ouch)

I look forward to trying out the Fatip! And the brush :)

Still sad that the dark coating of the Fatips is poor quality... That SE Piccolo, and even the normal darker variations look fantastic.

Top Bottom