What's new

Obsolete tools

Some people are mentioning stuff that is used on drum brakes. Drum brakes are still being made on new cars, although I really wish they would go away.

I can't recall the last time I've seen someone use a torque wrench that wasn't digital. Or a maul for splitting wood. Or a woodworking float.

floppy disks.

I HATE EM!

worst part is every now and then you still need them.
You get your hands on a reader and ... "#$"%/(# disk does not work

That the 5 inch variety?

Haven't used any brake spring tools in quite a while. Both of my torque wrenches are old school. Pipe threading dies. Molding planes. Hammers and nail sets - I use nail guns now.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Whew! When I read the title, I said, "Oh no, not another Dick Cheney thread!"

Some people are mentioning stuff that is used on drum brakes. Drum brakes are still being made on new cars, although I really wish they would go away.
I've found less need to do the rear brakes since they started making cars with antilock brakes.
Still use the analog torque wrench.
Still use a maul to split wood.
Recently, I've found myself reaching for my ball-peen hammer a lot. (Not because I've been doing the brakes though.)

Does anybody still use a brace and bit? I've never owned one but you woodworking guys might still have one.

I can't recall the last time I've seen someone use a torque wrench that wasn't digital. Or a maul for splitting wood. Or a woodworking float.

My father in law was using a splitting maul a couple of years ago, but he finally gave up on cutting his own firewood. He is currently 75 years old!

Tim

Thanks for all the responses, guys; keep 'em coming.

Sounds as if we all have nice collections of tools for maintaining drum brakes, carburetors, and breaker-point ignitions. We should open a garage in 1955. I've even got a battery hydrometer.

Top Bottom