What's new

Noxema, I Think I Love You.

went with the tube of Neutrogena Sensitive Skin shave cream this morning instead of my Noxema mix.....another thread mentioned it so I thought I'd try it out....and the stuff is definitely slick....went on nice, neutral scent, and like with my Noxema/glycerin I got a great shave....it's already got glycerin in it.....and "Pro-Soothe Technology" so at least I got that going for me!

Worked out nicely and I will continue to use it for now.....again for $4, why not give it a try?

Last edited:
And I don't mean to be a smartass when I ask this, but: What's the point of the lather if the Noxema is the layer covering your whiskers and skin, and the Noxema smell is stronger than the soap scent?

I was wondering the same thing.

Anyone know if Noxzema blue tub expires? I know it has the "12M" symbol on it signifying it has a shelf life of 12 months after being opened but can it be used safely after ..let's say.. 2 years? Want to try this method and I have an almost full tub that sat on my dresser for for at least two years. It's a bit runny, but nothing a good stir couldn't fix, haha.

What could possibly go wrong?

Been using Noxema off and on. There is no denying the effectiveness. I do get much smoother shaves with less irritation.

The Noxema smell though, while I like it, I don't like it as much as the creams and soaps that I choose. So I only use it on occasions. Wish I could find something just as effective, but unscented.

Any ideas?

Been using Noxema off and on. There is no denying the effectiveness. I do get much smoother shaves with less irritation.

The Noxema smell though, while I like it, I don't like it as much as the creams and soaps that I choose. So I only use it on occasions. Wish I could find something just as effective, but unscented.

Any ideas?

see my post from this morning....two posts above yours ^^^^

see my post from this morning....two posts above yours ^^^^

Completely missed it. Back in my cartridge days, I used to use this stuff to shave. Are you using it as a pre-shave or for shaving cream. I can't remember, but I thought it made a "lather" after applying to face.

Completely missed it. Back in my cartridge days, I used to use this stuff to shave. Are you using it as a pre-shave or for shaving cream. I can't remember, but I thought it made a "lather" after applying to face.

Used it as a pre shave before each pass...after my shower I put a small amount on my face and rubbed it in a bit and then lathered right over it with my MWF....very nice shave......I'm going to keep using it and see how it works out

And I don't mean to be a smartass when I ask this, but: What's the point of the lather if the Noxema is the layer covering your whiskers and skin, and the Noxema smell is stronger than the soap scent?

Aaaaaah - I didn't read your post close enough. I was concentrating on the smell part, which is DEFINITELY a legitimate concern. I have never tried the Nox/glyc. mix solo and then shaved. I am not sure if it's enough protection and how exactly it works as a "pre-shave" product, other than...... The glycerin is a humectant and locks/seals/attracts water, thus locking water into your whiskers, which I believe is 90% of the battle for clean cutting.

I have no idea exactly how the Noxema might work, other than shear slickness and a little cleaning mixed in. I just read this entire thread about 4-5 weeks ago, tried it and have not looked back since.

Peace!

went with the tube of Neutrogena Sensitive Skin shave cream this morning instead of my Noxema mix.....another thread mentioned it so I thought I'd try it out....and the stuff is definitely slick....went on nice, neutral scent, and like with my Noxema/glycerin I got a great shave....it's already got glycerin in it.....and "Pro-Soothe Technology" so at least I got that going for me!

Worked out nicely and I will continue to use it for now.....again for $4, why not give it a try?

I tried the Neutrogena this morning. Wow! Nice!! I've been on this thread since the beginning and really liked the Noxema, even promoted it in a video. Move over.. New kid in town! :thumbup:

I have to say that the scent disappearing must be an individual experience. I can put a pea size bit on my face, and it overpowers the scents of even the strongest smelling soaps/creams I use. Though, I do have a bit of a hounds nose, so maybe I'm more sensitive than most. I quit using Noxema except for with Proraso green. I may pick up some of that Neutrogena stuff listed a couple posts back.
Hmmm...must be interesting/challenging to shave around that! :001_rolle

Give it a try before the shower as well, what I mean is rub the noxema in and let it stay on your face (as best as you can)during a warm/hot shower it works great and your skin and beard feel great and the beard is really quite soft afterwards. At the end of the shower go ahead and rinse the face with warm water ,then reapply as normal for your save.

Give it a try before the shower as well, what I mean is rub the noxema in and let it stay on your face (as best as you can)during a warm/hot shower it works great and your skin and beard feel great and the beard is really quite soft afterwards. At the end of the shower go ahead and rinse the face with warm water ,then reapply as normal for your save.

Yep that is how I do it and it works great. Noxzema is also an excellent softener for your hair.

I was wondering the same thing. What could possibly go wrong?
A throw up between my face exploding or receiving super powers. Tried it today with my morning shave and sadly, I did not receive any super powers but at least my face didn't explode. The shave itself was good but I did not notice a huge difference other than the cooling effect of the Noxzema. Going to be trying this for a couple of weeks though.

Noxema worked quite well for me ... right up until I realized I was allergic to it.

My face would get beet red after shaving, despite using a known / trusted razor and blade combo.

As soon as I stopped using it, I was fine. Shame really, as I did notice a closer shave.

go back and re-read my post very slowly.

also SLOoowly:

Dude. I get YOUR post, and I wasn't ripping on the idea that Noxema would be a good shave cream. (or Nutragena for that matter.). I belong to the school of belief that "Fat Lather" is for fun and bragging rights. What touches your skin and beard is what counts, the rest just makes you have to rinse your razor more often. So... If you add shave soap to Nutragena and put lather over it, the Nutragena is giving you the clean shave, and the shave soap is your scent enjoyment. Sounds like a good combo.

Which goes back to my original question: If the Noxema is what's giving you the close shave, AND you can't smell the lather through it, what's the point of the lather?

also SLOoowly:

Dude. I get YOUR post, and I wasn't ripping on the idea that Noxema would be a good shave cream. (or Nutragena for that matter.). I belong to the school of belief that "Fat Lather" is for fun and bragging rights. What touches your skin and beard is what counts, the rest just makes you have to rinse your razor more often. So... If you add shave soap to Nutragena and put lather over it, the Nutragena is giving you the clean shave, and the shave soap is your scent enjoyment. Sounds like a good combo.

Which goes back to my original question: If the Noxema is what's giving you the close shave, AND you can't smell the lather through it, what's the point of the lather?

Try using the Noxzema and the Neutrogena in your pre-shave routine. I would be interested in reading your opinions and details of your shaving experiences.​

Last edited:
Well I had ordered a tube of Arko shaving cream for sensitive skin on a whim and I tell you what, it's just like Noxema for me, looks like it, feels like it, even smells like it. I use it as a pre shave and no nicks, no cuts, no weepers guaranteed. In fact I keep it in a Vintage blue glass Noxema container. BTW for me the Noxema is a set up for my second and third passes, it does allow the lather smell to pass onto the skin after the first pass, try it, if it works for you keep it, if it doesn't then drop it.

Always looking for the Perfect Shave.

Just purchased two new 12oz/334ml tubs of Noxzema Classic Clean Moisturizing Cleansing Cream WITH Camphor and Menthol. This is the large blue tub with the "purple" band on the label. This is the better of the two Noxzema Classic Clean products. The other NONE Camphor and Menthol is in the same large blue tub but has a "blue" band on the label and is called Noxzema Classic Clean.. Original Deep Cleansing Cream. Note: It does not say "moisturizing" on the label. The tub with the Camphor and Menthol is more 'Original' so I don't know why they use the 'Original' term on the label that does not contain Camphor and Menthol. Strange! Cost was $6.50USD or $8.00 CAN. I purchased it from a SuperStore in Canada. I have used Proraso White Pre-shave and this Noxzema with Camphor and Menthol and must say that the Noxzema is better then the Proraso White as a pre shave for 1/10th of the cost.

noxzema merkur feather myrsol green k july 25 2018.jpg

Top Bottom