What's new

Noxema, I Think I Love You.

I use it to keep my beard wet and soft while I dry off and build my lather. I rinse it off and start lathering my face and it seems to work well. I may try keeping a thin layer and lather over it.

I though that when lathering with a brush, circular swirls were how I should apply the lather to my face. As such, how does a thin layer of noxema remain as a base layer after such brush motion? Wouldn't the noxema simply mix with the lather?[/QUOTE

Do a bowl lather and apply over top of the thin layer of Noxema. You don't need to gring the lather into your beard the Noxema is already there protecting you.

Noxema is great post - shave too. Don't need aftershave or moisturizer after my shave when I finish my routine with noxema.

I have been using it for about two weeks now. I put it on right out of the shower then apply my Palmolive stick the lather. For the second pass I just use the loaded brush. Makes the shave much smoother in my opinion.

I never believed I'd find a product replacement for my beloved Noxzema Cleansing Cream. It's still the best value around for the price. I must report my shaves are more enjoyable with this Neutrogena product.

Recently I saw this product on my local grocery store shelf for 3.99. First, I experimented using the product without any other traditional shaving soaps or creams. It works well but the shaver loses the enjoyment of the traditional wet shaving experience. Upon further experimentation, I began substituting the Neutrogena in place of my Noxzema Cleansing Cream. I rub just a small amount of Neutrogena into my wet whiskers. I use my brush and lather my favorite scented soap or cream directly over-top the Neutrogena. I complete my WTG pass, rinse with cold water and repeat the process before each razor pass.

I experienced my best S.R. shave to date. The shave was on par with a DE razor, Muhle R41 and feather blade Zen experience. The Neutrogena doesn't have a strong scent like Noxzema Cleansing Cream. It doesn't mask the scent of your favorite shaving soap or cream. For those shavers who are turned off by the smell of Noxzema this is a wonderful alternative. I'll be replacing Noxzema with Neutrogena in my shaving routine.

Last edited:
I've been a noxzema guy for many decades. But if this beats it, then I'm game. It's on my grocery list now.

got some today and I'll try it out tomorrow....I've been a long time Noxema/Glycerin mix guy for every pass...but I'm always willing to try something new...especially for $4

I though that when lathering with a brush, circular swirls were how I should apply the lather to my face. As such, how does a thin layer of noxema remain as a base layer after such brush motion? Wouldn't the noxema simply mix with the lather?[/QUOTE

Do a bowl lather and apply over top of the thin layer of Noxema. You don't need to gring the lather into your beard the Noxema is already there protecting you.

And I don't mean to be a smartass when I ask this, but: What's the point of the lather if the Noxema is the layer covering your whiskers and skin, and the Noxema smell is stronger than the soap scent?

Anyone know if Noxzema blue tub expires? I know it has the "12M" symbol on it signifying it has a shelf life of 12 months after being opened but can it be used safely after ..let's say.. 2 years? Want to try this method and I have an almost full tub that sat on my dresser for for at least two years. It's a bit runny, but nothing a good stir couldn't fix, haha.

And I don't mean to be a smartass when I ask this, but: What's the point of the lather if the Noxema is the layer covering your whiskers and skin, and the Noxema smell is stronger than the soap scent?

I have been using a Noxema/glycerin mix for about a month now, and the effectiveness is excellent. The smell of the Noxema is cut down to almost nothing and short-lived. 1. - It's diluted with glycerine. 2 - It's further diluted when mixed with the water on your face. 3 - You really only need a very small amount to be effective. Just enough to barely see little streaks of white as you are rubbing it into your beard.

After about 3-4 seconds after rubbing it in, the smell disappears. Lather up and the smell of your lather will be the only smell around.
Unless you FART!

Peace!

I have to say that the scent disappearing must be an individual experience. I can put a pea size bit on my face, and it overpowers the scents of even the strongest smelling soaps/creams I use. Though, I do have a bit of a hounds nose, so maybe I'm more sensitive than most. I quit using Noxema except for with Proraso green. I may pick up some of that Neutrogena stuff listed a couple posts back.

I have to say that the scent disappearing must be an individual experience. I can put a pea size bit on my face, and it overpowers the scents of even the strongest smelling soaps/creams I use. Though, I do have a bit of a hounds nose, so maybe I'm more sensitive than most. I quit using Noxema except for with Proraso green. I may pick up some of that Neutrogena stuff listed a couple posts back.

I agree, if it's 100% Noxema and depending on how much water is on your beard at the time of application. I saturate my beard with as much hot water as it will hold, then immediately add a 1/4 to 1/2 almond sized and rub it in. The Noxema concentration becomes greatly reduced at this point.

I am amazed at the protection this offers relative to pre-shave oil or nothing for that matter.

Peace!

Top Bottom