What's new

Nokia Lumia 520 - Don't Waste Your Time

Gents, I rarely give out and out product reviews. At least as it applies to hardware or electronic items. The variables are simply too great to mean a lot to mos t people. If a product is very good but lacks, or poorly executes, one feature you really need then the whole deal could be off and slant your review much more than the next person. So approach this as more of a 'what in the world were they thinking?' sort of post.

Let me set this up a bit. I am not a smartphone user. I get the tech, do not fear it, and don't think it is ridiculous for others to use it. I simply do not want to pay upwards of 80-100 dollars per month for the privilege of using a four inch computer screen. To me it makes imminent sense to use a cheap mobile phone service for voice(I despise texting, call me old) and available wifi with a handy tablet. And yes, I understand there are millions who want it all in one package and that is most viable approach. So with that in mind we understand that 'feature phones' are becoming more rare as time goes by and eventually will disappear. I simply wanted a touchscreen phone for the size of the icons and text. Enter the Lumia 520. I had noticed it at AT&T stores for $99. Hmm, I wonder if this would work as a plain phone since it is prepaid? Should have called ATT first but I was at a Microsoft factory store yesterday and they have them for $59 so against my judgment I let the impulse purchase bug hit me. Big mistake. It won't work with my current SIM and indeed, it will require a data plan to work. This is my fault and the unit is slated for return.

What struck me about this 'smart' phone was its horrendous camera and video capabilities. Opening the camera function(more about that in a moment) resulted in an image so blurry I thought I had the lens covered somehow. This was not the case. It really is that bad. Video mode is fares no better. I am watching my grandson today and thought I may as well give the video function workout before I take it back. What a waste. The Lumia line enjoys a good rep for video quality but it is obvious this entry model has been gutted. I had two lamps on and the daylight through the window and could not get a clear image! When I did snap the shutter it took between six and ten seconds to capture an image. What are you doing Nokia? I have never been so disappointed in a Nokia product. And speaking of opening the camera. There is a button on the side of the phone that will do this and even let you switch to video mode. But capturing is slow, the menu very limited and the ability to quickly jump back and forth between still and video is nonexistent. At least to me. What it does have on the home screen are tiles for panorama(largely useless by all accounts and reviews) camera, and creative studio. The first two are not labeled by text so you have to fiddle around til you find which is which. Creative is labeled as such. Nokia has some interesting effects for video imaging but they are relegated to superfluous status on this device.

Consider I bought a $20 Kyocera Event at Walmart on Black Friday. This little Android is much more intuitive than the Nokia. At least in the multimedia department. There is a well defined camera icon on the home screen. Clicking it opens up the camera straight away and you can slide the onscreen photo icon to video at any time and hit record. So simple and well defined. Notice I did not address the phone functions on the unit. I cannot use it that way so left it alone. And though it is not the primary function of the device, mutlimedia is a HUGE part of any phone device anymore. The only word to use here is, fail. I belabour this point because at $60 I seriously thought about keeping it as a Windows driven multimedia/mp3 type device for cheap. Perish the thought immediately. Unless you are working in direct daylight the camera is useless. I did not even explore the music capabilities because half the equation is already lost. Oh, and since there is no front facing cam you cannot even use this as a cheap Skype device. Oi.

What you essentially have is a feature phone with data capability but are forced to buy a data plan to use a crippled device. I say feature phone because as it sits, it is really only useable as a phone. Most of the 'smart' in smartphone is geared toward multimedia and web use. I won't even get into how poorly IE works and scales pages on the web. I accessed that through wifi. Suffice it to say you need to pay CAREFUL attention to details if you are going to use this device as a daily driver.

Cheers, Todd

I remember when I was in school and Nokia phones were the only phones people thought were worth getting. Everyone and their mum (literally) had one. It's a shame that their more recent efforts haven't amounted to much. They used to make great standard phones with buttons and simple functions, they evn looked good but since braving the smart phone world they've lost it IMO. I would consider the new Lumia with that high quality 41MP camera but I don't want to use the MS OS on it. My uncle has a Lumia and I don't think he likes it much, but it has a good camera, I'll give it that. Don't know the model though.

OMEN, I agree but with provisos. The Windows 8 tile system is actually rather nice. You can resize, delete, or move them around with a tap and drag. So while I do not claim to be all that up to date on smartphone operation, I feel that some of this tripe is the handset manufacturers fault. Two and three icons/tiles on the home page for the camera? Just put a nice big camera shaped icon on one of the large sized tiles(there are three or four sizes, the one I am thinking of is about an inch square) and done. When you click it it should take you to an interface that has a quick to use button to switch between still and video. I found this implementation clumsy. It was mostly the multimedia hardware that I did not care for. The camera is worse I think than many of the cheap flip phones you bought five or ten years ago. No exaggeration. Unless you are in DIRECT sunlight you cannot see a usable image in the cam. I was hoping for phone to use as a PHONE which just happened to have a large touch screen and wifi to boot. Well nix that.

I am more than a bit miffed at AT&T and other carriers who are forcing us into data plans. And the FCC lets them slide by. Some of us do not want or need data capable phones. Funny, about ten to twelve years ago when texting first started getting popular, AT&T offered this basic text option for something like $4. All you cared to use was less than ten dollars. As one AT&T sales rep told me; "Well, it's not the text we're worried about you know. It doesn't use much bandwidth. Now voice, that takes a bit. It is why you pay so much for 500 voice minutes a month and can have all the texts you want so cheap." My how things changed and quickly. A mere few years later if I wanted unlimited text added to all three of my phone lines it was going to add $30 per month to my bill. Now we have these data share plans that start at $45 per month plus $40 per month for each smartphone you add to them. So to switch to data share would raise my current bill of about $90 per month for three voice only lines(taxes all in with state employee discount) to a minimum of $165 per month before taxes. Well, I would qualify for a 17% state employee discount but that would only apply to the basic $45 data share. The monthly phone charges would still be $40 each. Bollocks to that. I would rather pay $50 a month for one of those carrier provided 3/4g wifi hotspots and just carry a wifi google device with me and make voip calls. Trouble is, I would need three of them to maintain current coverage and SWMBO and daughter are never going to deal with the complexity of using it. They just want to dial and go. Some day I will probably be forced into a data plan but I am fighting it all the way.

Cheers, Todd

I had a Nokia Lumia 920 for about 6 months and it was the worst phone I ever owned. No matter where I went it would have a low service signal while everyone else had full bars. The battery life was poor at best, sometimes not even lasting 4 hours sitting in my pocket. The only thing I did really like about it, as Phog said, was the Tile system. Made it very easy to use which is helpful when the phone died so fast.

The data plans they are pitching now with every company just seem to be getting worse and worse. AT&T earlier quoted me at almost $200 for 2 smart phones, and 2 basic phones. That was even after a 20% discount was taken into consideration.

Over here it's a bit over the place. Iphone plans are always more expensive even the older ones. I have Unlimited Calls/Texts and 1GB data (my plan isn't 4g as the iphone 4s isn't) and it's £36 a month. Other phones like Samsung Galaxies get that bundle for cheaper a bit quicker although as the Galaxy S4 was released so soon after 3 over here it may have had something to do with it. I have considered a cheaper plan for the future but I wasn't a huge fan of Android or at least the Galaxy S2. The big screen was nice but once I got over that I just felt like I'd bought a £500 texting machine.

I use a Lumia 710 which has been discontinued now. I'm actually typing on it now.
I do like Windows phone. Mine is 7.5 though. It can't go to 8.

Yes, the camera sucks. So does the Zune software and music player in general.

the iphone5 camera is amazing.

Top Bottom