What's new

Next Big Step After Rockwell 6C and Razorock Game Changer .84-P?

I made the dive into DE razors from Mach 3 cartridges for head shaving about a year ago. My first DE razor was the King C Gillette that I got on Amazon for $22. The very first stroke was “whoa, this is soooo much better”. My next thought was “if this $22 razor was so much better than cartridges, does it get better from here also?”

After a couple weeks of research, my next razor purchase was the Rockwell 6C and I immediately had another “whoa” moment. Smoother, closer, and more comfortable shave compared to the King C Gillette; win, win, win. The 4-plate is the sweet spot for my head. I like having the 3-plate handy for milder shaves when I already have some irritation or nicks that I don’t want to make worse, and I’ll sometimes turn to the 5-plate when I’m feeling adventurous.

The Rockwell 6C immediately felt like my forever razor, but with it being made out of zinc alloy I started having intrusive thoughts about the threads one day breaking on me. While I haven’t seen any actual signs of wear on my 6C, I started to look for a stainless steel option that I wouldn’t have to worry about.

The very obvious choice for me would have been to just get a Rockwell 6S as my next razor, but I didn’t love the idea of at best getting the exact same shaves I already did get with my 6C for the full price of another razor. Not to mention the mixed reviews I read about the matte on the 6S sticking and dragging compared to the glide you get from the chrome on the 6C.

The next razor I decided on was the Razorock Game Changer .84-P SB. My hope was that this could be my daily driver to replace how I use the 6C on the 4-plate, and that I would still have the 6C along with its other plates handy if I felt the need for a different type of shave on a given day. The idea of using the 6C less often seemed to silence my concerns of wear and tear on it (and I’m aware that I could also just replace the top cap for less than $20 if the threads ever actually wore...)

My first shave with the Game Changer .84-P was yet another “whoa” moment; I ended up with the closest and smoothest shave I’ve had yet. The Game Changer .84-P has quite a bit more blade feel compared to the 6C that made me slow down and be mindful of the blade angle and pressure, but this ultimately resulted in a much better shave. The Game Changer .84-P feels like my daily driver going forward but I love still having the 6C available for a change of pace (I also ordered Razorock’s aluminum Lupo to have for a fun change of pace as well).

Although I love window shopping higher end razors, the Game Changer .84-P has me second guessing whether I’ll actually be able to find a better shave again. Is anyone able to recommend another razor that would yield better and/or more enjoyable shaves than the Razorock Game Changer .84-P or Rockwell 6C?

Some options I’ve browsed:

Blackland Blackbird (Titanium)
Blackland Osprey
Timeless
Rex Ambassador
Pearl Flexi
Pearl Blaze

I would watch a lot of reviews on the razors that interest you. Gravitate to the reviewers that have a similar growth (fine/coarse hair) and see if it's something you want to buy. I noticed that the Blackbird was shaving really well on those that had coarse hair like me. As anything, the learning curve with using something new and now it's a great daily shaver. I'm not saying to buy one, just window shop a bit and cross off the ones that may not suit your needs. Also, vendors such as Blackland and Timeless have 30 day returns which may be important to you. I hope you find your perfect razor!

Consider the Lupo 95. It’s actually quite smooth.
The Game Changer vs Lupo question felt easier for me because the bulk of the SS Lupo plates were sold out on Italian Barber when I bought my GC .84-P. However, I did just order the SS Lupo 72 OC to try out as well; I'll check in to compare it to the GC .84-P when it gets here.

I would watch a lot of reviews on the razors that interest you. Gravitate to the reviewers that have a similar growth (fine/coarse hair) and see if it's something you want to buy. I noticed that the Blackbird was shaving really well on those that had coarse hair like me. As anything, the learning curve with using something new and now it's a great daily shaver. I'm not saying to buy one, just window shop a bit and cross off the ones that may not suit your needs. Also, vendors such as Blackland and Timeless have 30 day returns which may be important to you. I hope you find your perfect razor!
Words of wisdom. One of the first themes I picked up on when looking into razors that it's not one size fit all. In the meantime, I'm quite happy with my GC .84-P and Rockwell 6C, not to mention the two Lupo's I have on the way as well.

Timeless and Blackbird seem like solid options should I decide to treat myself down the road.

I have both of the Pearl razors (Flexi in safety bar, not open comb). I like them both. The Blaze is one of my top "best bang for the buck" razors: Not expensive and really works well (for me).
The price of the Blaze is tough to beat. Very decent chance I end up buying that one just because.

FWIW --

The Pearl Blaze has a gap of 0.74 mm. If you're trying to find out "what's the most aggressive razor I can handle?", that suggests that it's not more aggressive than what you already have.

My Pearl Flexi, set to maximum gap, measures about 0.78 mm. So it, too, won't stretch your boundaries. (It's a very nice razor, though -- heavy, but good grip and balance.)

If you haven't checked the Razorock Aggressiveness Chart:

this would be a good time to look at it. You're into R41 / Merkur Futur territory, and I don't play there.

. Charles

FWIW --

The Pearl Blaze has a gap of 0.74 mm. If you're trying to find out "what's the most aggressive razor I can handle?", that suggests that it's not more aggressive than what you already have.

My Pearl Flexi, set to maximum gap, measures about 0.78 mm. So it, too, won't stretch your boundaries. (It's a very nice razor, though -- heavy, but good grip and balance.)

If you haven't checked the Razorock Aggressiveness Chart:

this would be a good time to look at it. You're into R41 / Merkur Futur territory, and I don't play there.

. Charles
To be honest, I'll not quite sure what else I'm really looking for at this point in terms of shave quality. I crossed the 'need' to 'want' threshold a while ago.

The Razorock GC .84-P is probably about as aggressive as I'd ever consider going, any more aggressive and the risk/reward ratio would be off for me. The aggressiveness of GC .84-P only works for me because the smoothness and overall shave quality are quite high as well.

My next razor would either need to bring a coolness factor or be noticeably smoother and more comfortable than my current options. I don't really need an adjustable razor necessarily, but I wouldn't rule one out at this point.

You are absolutely right that it isn't one size fits all. Also, how often you shave can be critical. When I was shaving every day, I found the Game Changer .84-P unsatisfactory (too much blade) and put it away. Years later, I retired and shifted to shaving every 3-4 days. Suddenly the .84-P was just what I needed. I'm glad I didn't plunk down $400 for some "high end" razor before the shift. If I did go "high end" now, I'd get something in titanium, which I think has the right amount of heft: less than steel, more than aluminum. The .84-P with a titanium handle has a weight and balance similar to that of the well-known vintage Gillette "Slim" of the 1960s. I'm sure you and I could find a "high end" model in titanium we'd be happy with. I don't know if I really need it, though.

Italian Barber has a new bottom plate for the Game Changer. So you could buy just the 1.05-p bottom plate. That'll then give you options, a bit like the Rockwell 6C.
Have you tried this plate to compare to the .84-P? I'm worried the 1.05-P would be way too aggressive for my liking. I do have the .76-P plate sitting in my shopping cart just in case I notice any irritation from using the .84-P.

You are absolutely right that it isn't one size fits all. Also, how often you shave can be critical. When I was shaving every day, I found the Game Changer .84-P unsatisfactory (too much blade) and put it away. Years later, I retired and shifted to shaving every 3-4 days. Suddenly the .84-P was just what I needed. I'm glad I didn't plunk down $400 for some "high end" razor before the shift. If I did go "high end" now, I'd get something in titanium, which I think has the right amount of heft: less than steel, more than aluminum. The .84-P with a titanium handle has a weight and balance similar to that of the well-known vintage Gillette "Slim" of the 1960s. I'm sure you and I could find a "high end" model in titanium we'd be happy with. I don't know if I really need it, though.
I head shave every another day or so (I stick to my Feather AC SS for lining my beard and neck areas). So far it seems like I'll be able to stick with the GC .84-P for my every another day head shaves; it actually cuts close enough that I probably afford an extra day or so in between. The GC .84-P does feel like too much for every day; if I needed to shave back to back days for any reason I would probably intuitively turn to one of my milder options for day two (Rockwell on plate 3, KCG, aluminum Lupo).

I've yet to experiment with the handle weights yet, but that was part of the reason I also ordered the aluminum Lupo; I figured it would be fun to test out the mismatched handle materials on the two razors. Razorock's titanium Halo handle seems reasonably priced ($30) and might be something I decide to throw into the mix as well.

Not something I need at all at this point but this thread has me considering the Ti Timeless as my next splurge (maybe birthday or fathers day gift to myself down the road). The mid-$200 price point is very high, but it's still around $100 cheaper than the Ti Blackbird.

Have you tried this plate to compare to the .84-P? I'm worried the 1.05-P would be way too aggressive for my liking. I do have the .76-P plate sitting in my shopping cart just in case I notice any irritation from using the .84-P.
I've only used the GC 1.05. I'd been using the R41 for years, and wanted something a little bit smoother. And it works great. Plus I like the option to buy different plates.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I have a couple Timeless, the Titanium and the Bronze and find both to be superb, the Ti is my all-time favorite and the Bronze a very close second.

Have you considered the merkur progress?

It’s not my all time favorite razor because I find it quite “aggressive” even at the lowest settings with its positive exposure, but given that you already use the .84 I think the progress with 5 settings could be a nice choice.

Top Bottom