What's new

Newbie Question : Using the Merkur Progress

I've read several posts on using the Progress - here's my take away - (1) make sure the little triangle on the fixed head portion of the razor is on the same side as the etch mark on the removable portion of the head (2) the selection dot is at the bottom of the handle just above the numbered ring and each selected numbered setting 1-5 should line up with this dot and (3) it should tighten down to number 1 with a blade attached -- do I have it correct ?

Now a couple questions :
some posters mention blade alignment - is this controlable ? once the blade is placed on the removable head & then set on the fixed head, isn't the alignment set ?
callibration has been mentioned - I take this to mean that if when fully tightened the setting isn't at number 1 then it needs callibration - how do you do this ?
how do you remove the yellow plastic knob at the bottom of the handle ?
and finally, is it correct to say that there isn't a "locked" position on the Progress - with a blade attached you turn clockwise all the way down & then dial your numbered setting turning counter clockwise.

Unless the Progress isn't totally blown up or you want to compare your settings with another Progress user there's absolutely no need to 'calibrate' the razor.
(1) make sure the little triangle on the fixed head portion of the razor is on the same side as the etch mark on the removable portion of the head
:thumbup1:
(2) the selection dot is at the bottom of the handle just above the numbered ring and each selected numbered setting 1-5 should line up with this dot and
Not necessarily. It's not broken if they don't align.
(3) it should tighten down to number 1 with a blade attached -- do I have it correct ?
It should be near '1'.

The other thing you need to make sure to line up after you've inserted your DE blade is the number five should be on the same side as the triangle/notch. At least, that's what the little insert that came with mine leads me to believe. If the number 5 is not in that position, then your dial certainly won't be aligned properly once you've tightened it down.

As for blade alignment problems... seems like most people have them (newer models... apparently the pre-DOVO razors do not have this issue). Unfortunately, I hadn't read any reviews ahead of time about this before I purchased mine. It wasn't until I had been using it for a week or so before I took a real close look at it... Two notes on this:

1, yes, you can somewhat compensate for the alignment problems. As your tightening the head, you can adjust the balde position. I've never been able to get it perfectly centered, and am starting to suspect it won't be possible without some major modification to the razor. 2, this may nor may not lead to bad shaves. I'm able to get good shaves out of it... but this could just be me compensating for it. Each side shaves a little differently, so attention must be paid to each stroke. After a few weeks using my Parker 96R, I was able to zone out a little whilst shaving with no ill effects.

Top Bottom