What's new

New Years Eve Campout

The LOML had to work New Years Eve and I didn't want to be stuck at home or out with the crazy people. So I decided to bid adieu to 2016 and say hello to 2017 from the relative quiet of Jennings State Forest. It's an easy 2-2.5 mile hike to the campground, right on a river. I was the only person there. In fact, I didn't see a person from the time I got on the trail until I was almost back to my car the next morning.

Overnight temperatures were perfect (low 50s) and I got a chance to test out my cat food can/alcohol stove. Used HEET and went through less than 3 ounces (boiled a total of 3 cups of water). Took longer to boil water in the morning because it was colder, but not as long as I expected. I like having this as an option.

I got a bit turned around on the way out; the trial isn't well marked. Fortunately, I ran into two very nice women riding their horses who showed me where I needed to turn.

Happy New Year!
$jennings.jpg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
HNY, hanger! Looks like a nice rig.

re: getting turned around, I now have a Suunto clip-on compass on my hat ...

AA

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Looks like you had a nice night Stephen. Weather seemed to cooperate too.

And glad you didn't get lost, you were just turned around a bit. Been there, done that. So have a lot of other people.

“I've never been lost, but I was mighty turned around for three days once.”

― Daniel Boone

:biggrin1:

Thanks for the kind words, guys. It was nice to get away, even for a night. I've got two more short trips, likely just overnight ones, planned. One will be with my oldest son (his first backpacking trip to a primitive campsite) and one with the LOML and a friend to test our DIY tarps. March is coming quick, and with it our thru-hike of the Foothills Trail!

Top Bottom