What's new

New Kanayama strop #4560

Recently, Fendrihan in Canada a shaving retailer, who stocks Kanayama strops, offered a new strop from Kanoyama(it may have been mentioned elsewhere) It is the #4560 and is at the low end of the spectrum. Now here's the thing, it has a handle, clamping the canvas piece and the cordovan piece together. I have had it confirmed that the canvas piece in this new model is 68mm, (3mm wider than the others) So the two pieces are the same size when held together by the clamp/handle. The handle itself is a 5 or so inch piece of metal wrapped in twine. It is rudimentary, but have a look on Fendrihan site and you can see it. They are selling them for $110 USD. Another interesting point is that they don't bare the traditional gold leaf stamp spelled Kanayama, Now, on this new strop, the maker has had a new stamp which is square block capitals, KANOYAMA stamped into the leather above the clamp. It isn't what I'd want, and I think it's a bit gimicky. But check it out.

I just looked and it looks okay to me, some don't like "Barber Ends" on a strop so maybe that's the reason for the wrapped handle, my guess is the leather is pretty thin and using it alone without the backing of canvas would cause it to stretch so maybe thats another reason for the handle as it keeps them together, have never really been fond of the canvas and I just don't use it, my 70000 came with it and it just hangs on the hook. I am sure it will perform well and do the job of maintaining an edge.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
The handle is kinda neat. I know some guys struggle with arthritis and can't hold the Barbers cut strops so the handle might come in handy for them.

The handle looks to be Kydex plastic, the stuff they use for holsters and knife sheaths. Very sturdy stuff, but lightweight. I may have found my new strop. Been wanting a Kanayama, but not a fan of the barber cut end.

Good point about the cordovan leather stretching. I have several Kanyama's from #10000, two #70000's and an #80000, and the way the top end 70 & 80 are set up is that the suede piece is attached to the cordovan leather via their clasp, and when stropping I and most tend to hold both pieces together. It seems to have a better feel to it, and it's because the Shell cordovan leather is thinner even their premium, #80000 does stretch if you try and pull it fairly taut, you can consciously feel the stretch, so, I hadn't thought of that when I posted this thread, but, it is an interesting move on the part of Kanoyama, to shed it's former misspelt livery, and introduce a new canvas piece 3mm wider than all the others, and it matches the conventional sized 68mm cordovan piece. I intend to place an email to the retailer, to gain some clarification as to the future of Kanayama strops. Is the name of this #4560 a KANOYAMA as it's new stamp shows? How will this change affect the traditional range of Kanyama strops we are used to seeing.? Has there been a management change at Kanoyama? These questions are important, as we haven't seen anyone who has bought the #4560 review it yet, as it is only sold by Fendrihans. All of a sudden my collection of Kanayama strops seems a good investment, with uncertainty abounding over the barand.

Good point about the cordovan leather stretching. I have several Kanyama's from #10000, two #70000's and an #80000, and the way the top end 70 & 80 are set up is that the suede piece is attached to the cordovan leather via their clasp, and when stropping I and most tend to hold both pieces together. It seems to have a better feel to it, and it's because the Shell cordovan leather is thinner even their premium, #80000 does stretch if you try and pull it fairly taut, you can consciously feel the stretch, so, I hadn't thought of that when I posted this thread, but, it is an interesting move on the part of Kanoyama, to shed it's former misspelt livery, and introduce a new canvas piece 3mm wider than all the others, and it matches the conventional sized 68mm cordovan piece. I intend to place an email to the retailer, to gain some clarification as to the future of Kanayama strops. Is the name of this #4560 a KANOYAMA as it's new stamp shows? How will this change affect the traditional range of Kanyama strops we are used to seeing.? Has there been a management change at Kanoyama? These questions are important, as we haven't seen anyone who has bought the #4560 review it yet, as it is only sold by Fendrihans. All of a sudden my collection of Kanayama strops seems a good investment, with uncertainty abounding over the barand.

I read that label change thing in the OP, but it didn't register in my brain first time around. I'd be interested to know too. Let us know if you find something out.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
They use the similar block lettering on their paddle strop, I have one.

The reason seems obvious, both the paddle strop and strops with handles have shorter leather than barber ends, and The two 'seals', maker and model number, take up around 3-1/2" of space.

Cheers, Steve

Updated info:
The new #4560 is a special order for Fendrihan, and no changes to the normal range are planned. Mr Kanoyama, has not mentored anyone new, nor has he retired, or sold the company. He will continue as normal and make his small batches of quality Shell cordovan leather strops. Fendrihans tell me they have had no issues with quality control. So I guess if I was wanting the one with the handle, it'd probably be a good time. And no, I have no connections to anyone of these bodies, I am just a fanatically addicted Kanayama strop owner, and I was worried that change may not be a good result. My everyday strop is the #70000 and is magnificent IMHO....

It's definitely the same strop manufacturer. KanOyama is the actual name of the company, with KanAyama being accidentally printed on the strops when they made the first batches. Because they didn't want to "rebrand" the product, it stuck all these years.

As for this new strop it's the first modern strop produced by Kanoyama with the corrected logo. Same leather as the ready, just more thin and shorter, 600mm I believe. Buy with confidence.

It's definitely the same strop manufacturer. KanOyama is the actual name of the company, with KanAyama being accidentally printed on the strops when they made the first batches. Because they didn't want to "rebrand" the product, it stuck all these years.

As for this new strop it's the first modern strop produced by Kanoyama with the corrected logo. Same leather as the ready, just more thin and shorter, 600mm I believe. Buy with confidence.
Welcome to B&B!

I've been waiting on a good ranger report for this strop - anyone using it and would like to chime in?

I'm looking at this to replace my '80s Illinois 835 which only has a stoppable area of 13 inches after loosing the top inch to the horse head logo, and turn the #835 into a pasted strop.

Last edited:
My package from Fendrihan arrived yesterday, but I couldn't find time to open the box until tonight. Glad I finally put in my order as they are currently sold out.

Initial observations for the Kanayama 4560 :
Pros -
⦁ Wider strop so less X pattern needed when stropping razor (measures at ~ 2.5"/60mm)
⦁ Stropping area longer than my Illinois 835 strop by about 1"
⦁ Longer handle (feels like Kydex so moisture should not affect the handle)- handle wrapped in 550 cord like material
⦁ Feels similar (slick) to my already broken in 835 when stropping
⦁ Thicker leather than my 835 (noticeably thicker).
⦁ Has a Llama on it. Seriously, only a flamingo or moose would have been better.
Cons -
⦁ Advertised as 2.7"/68mm wide (missing .3" of width which makes it just shy of covering my full blade without a slight X pattern. Which is probably fine since I can't draw the blade perfectly straight anyway... Length of 17.5" / 444.5 mm was spot on.
⦁ Llama logo/Imprint about 1" larger than horse head on 835, so strop area length increase seems to be lost to the larger logo.
⦁ Handle is skinny - may have to add some of my own 550 cord.

Tomorrow's shave will be the first real test after stropping tonight (I couldn't wait!). I'll try to update in the next couple of days and report on how things are going.
Kanayama 4560 vs Illinois 835 top.png
Kanayama 4560 vs Illinois 835 bottom.png

Top Bottom