What's new

New From SCS ~ Our 'Hybrid' Line of Shave Soap

It is with great pleasure, we are ready to introduce our "Hybrid" line of Cold Process shave soap. We hand-make our Cold Process soap in small batches as it has been made for centuries.

Using what we have found to be the very best blend of butter and oils; Shea Butter, Avocado Oil, Coconut Oil, Castor Oil, Palm Oil, Sweet Almond Oil, and Olive Oil we thought we had finally produced a good shave soap after dumping a LOT into the big green can.

Initial Tester reports were very positive. Now I would like to share (with Mr. Metzler's permission) this evaluation.

Robert E. Metzler, Attorney at Law
330 Jefferson Street
St. Charles, Missouri 63301
314-434-0920 314-434-7681 fax

September 17, 2008

Sue
Saint Charles Shave

RE: Test results of new cold processed shave soap

Dear Sue,

Thank you so much for giving me the opportunity to test your new cold process shave soap. I have tried so many products over the years that I believe that my review should be considered as coming from an experienced wet shaver. Also, the review comes from the perspective of a shaver that generally uses creams rather than soaps as his preferred choice. This preference of creams over soaps, is not due to any particular dislike of soaps but rather because I like the flexibility of easily changing fragrances from day to day.

I believe you may be surprised by my overall review of this product. It is: THIS MAY BE THE FINEST LATHERING PRODUCT I HAVE EVER USED! I have come to this conclusion based upon the following characteristics:

PRICE: It is my understanding that you are planning to price this soap at around the $10.00 range. I believe you could probably charge more given that the soap lasts so long. By comparison with glycerin soap, this soap cake could last three to four times as long as the glycerin equivalent. I believe it probably will last as long as a triple milled soap of the same size and weight.

QUALITY: The quality is superb. One thing I particularly like about the soap is that it has a bit of an abrasive quality to it compared to either a glycerin or triple milled soap. The brush has a bit of a rougher texture to work against which makes brush loading/puck lathering easier.

SCENT: The scent you sent me was Savory Rose. It has the same scent as the glycerin version but somewhat more subtle. Floral fragrances are not my first choice but I like them occasionally. For everyday use I would prefer a spicier or muskier scent but as a floral fragrance the rose can’t be beat.

LATHER: Up to now you have probably been wondering why I rate this soap so high. The LATHER is what sets this soap head and shoulders above the competition. Please forgive the rather detailed lather review but I believe it will help users who will buy this product once it is available.

This soap is unlike any other that I have used. It does not behave like a triple milled soap or glycerin soap but rather like a hybrid. In order to understand what I mean I will give you my impressions of glycerin vs. triple milled soap lathering techniques. With glycerin soap I usually lather right on top of the soap puck.

Using a brush that has been lightly shaken out I apply the brush to the soap that has been lightly soaked in water just to get it wet. Just add water and keep whipping until you reach the consistency you want. If the mix gets too thin just keep whipping on the soap and it will thicken back up. With a triple milled soap you soak the puck with water for a longer period of time, up to five to ten minutes if you want. This will soften the soap and make it easier to load the brush. You then hit the soap with a rather well shaken brush so as to allow the brush to load up rather well before beginning the real lathering process.

Whip the brush across that soap cake until the brush appears to have plenty of soap and the hairs clump up together. Then take that well loaded brush and move it to a separate lathering mug or bowl and begin the real lathering process by adding water and whipping until you get the consistency you want. NOW FORTHIS SOAP-- This soap does not want to load up well on the brush like a triple milled soap nor does it hit its stride by just lathering on the puck like glycerin soap. I have found the greatest success by treating it like glycerin soap and lathering on top of the puck and then finishing the lathering process in a separate mug or bowl.

Here is the process:
FIRST: Soak the puck in warm water for about a minute to soften up the hard soap. Then apply a lightly shook, fairly wet brush to the soap and begin whipping. This soap will not begin to lather as fast as a glycerin puck so give it time. After working on the puck for about 15 to 20 rotations begin adding water. This soap can take a lot of water. Your first addition of water can be as much as a full teaspoon without any fear. You will likely need more water anyway. Whip and add water by ½ to ¾ teaspoon full amounts until the soap EXPLODES into gobs of rich lather. Two things here: 1) I do mean explodes into lather. You are almost there when the lather really begins to morph, and 2) the water measurements are only for guidance and to give you an idea of the quantity needed. I personally like to use measuring spoons because it gives me control and avoids unwanted over-watering of the mix.

SECOND: I suggest you apply this thick, exploded mix to your face at this point. You may like the consistency, but I personally find that in almost every instance the lather is a bit too thick. I have shaved with it and it works well but it tends to load up the razor and is somewhat difficult to get off the beard the way I like. I personally feel that the lather needs a little thinning at this point. I take my brush and get as much of the lather out of the first bowl and into a final mixing mug or bowl as I can. This is similar to how you mix up triple milled soaps but with the added feature of having made a large amount of initial lather already. Add a little water at a time (I suggest ¼ teaspoon increments) and whip away. You will need very little additional water. The whole idea is to convert a rather heavy cream into a slightly more wet and smooth mix. It never hurts to squeeze out the brush between the thumb and forefinger and give it the feel test. It should feel slick and cushiony.

NOW, THIS IS WHERE THIS SOAP ROCKS!!! I can say, without equivocation, that this soap produces the longest lasting lather I have ever experienced. Once this lather is applied it does NOT break down on the first or subsequent passes when the lather has hit its sweet spot. It may need a tiny bit of water to freshen it up but otherwise it will hang in there for you.

I will, when the opportunity presents itself and/or I am otherwise bored, take pictures over time as to what happens to this lather when left on the face for an extended period. The lather, when applied to the face, looks exactly the same at the end of a pass as it did when applied originally. It’s truly uncanny. I don’t doubt that the lather would hold up for 15 to 20 minutes with little change. Hit it with a little dab of water on the tips of the brush and it will be good as new. I actually hit my brush with a spritz of water when I discovered the lather was a bit too heavy on my face on the first use of the soap. I face lathered it thinner in that manner.

For those that have the time or take the time to shave rather slowly, this is a perfect product for them. You could probably take a business call with the lather on your face and come back later never missing a beat. In this respect this soap exceeds your other soaps and creams by quite a margin. That’s saying a lot since your other soaps and creams are exceptional in terms of lather retention.

To save users some early frustration, please remind your customers that a cold process soap should have its outer layer removed before use. I don’t know what you call it but the soap does have a film/crust that should be washed/worn off before getting good results. Try washing your hands with the soap and working up a good soapy mix. That should be enough to get you going.

Lastly, here is my brush recommendation. Personally, I usually use a Omega Professional boar brush for my glycerin soaps. They are inexpensive, well constructed and get soft enough for my taste after a short break in period. I was told to use a boar brush with this soap as well. Just for the experiment, I used a C&E Best Badger with the soap after letting the soap puck soak as described. I actually got my best results with the badger brush! Just keep in mind that this result was likely due to the presoak of the soap puck. The presoak gets the soap soft enough that the badger worked beautifully with it.

NEXT CATEGORY

EFFICACY: This soap does everything it is supposed to do and more. I had no skip or tugging. I can’t say it is the slickest lather I have ever had but it certainly more than adequate. One thing I have noticed about very slick lathers is that they often mean lather build-up in the razor and difficulty rinsing off the razor and, ultimately, the face. This soap give you a lather that rinses off the razor well and yet gives a smooth feel as the razor passes over the face. Also, I have been suffering from a sinus, upper respiratory infection and have irritated the area around my nostrils. The lather did not burn or further irritate that sensitive area.

MOISTURIZING: This is not the most moisturizing lathering product that SCS makes. I wish I could tell you which of your products I like the best in regards to moisturizing properties but I just can’t recall at the moment. Having said all that, I don’t recall any of your products doing anything but leaving a soft, moist facial end result. Some are seemingly just a bit better than others and overall better than most of the competition. I believe this soap could be considered of average moisturizing quality in terms of your overall line of creams and soaps. Again, that puts it ahead of much of the competition.

Thanks again for letting me try a sample. I hope this review has been helpful. Please feel free to use any part or all of the review for your own uses. Let me know when the product is introduced and other fragrances are available.

Sincerely,

Bob Metzler

Currently we have a limited quantity of Savory Rose that will be on our website someime this weekend. The next batch is our own blend of Jasmine, Amber and Sandalwood. It will be 'cured' and ready to ship on October 7th.
Sue & Wendy

I recently tried to get some samples of your soaps in the BST. No offers. With this post though, I'll pony up and just buy a few of the new line. :smile:

Thirdeye, I bow to your experience. I spend entirely too much time on this site but like most I have developed a multitude of shave addictions, including this site. I don't need to give you any tips and your test/review of this new product will have a great deal more credibility than my review. I sent Sue an e-mail predicting that she will have a problem keeping up with demand once the lathering properties of this soap is known. What the (heck), in these economic times, wouldn't it be great to see a small home based business really take off. She really deserves more support just for her fragrances. I bought five great fragrances at her old prices for about the same money as one, to one and a half bottles of the commercial stuff that is not as good. Her glycerin soaps are great and her creams are tempermental but great when you get them right.

This soap sounds really promissing. I would love to see pictures of the lathering process and see how good this lather is. I can't wait to test it myself.

Since this soap will likely be available for sale within the next few days I will probably cut and paste the test review onto the REVIEWS section of this site. I will then try to figure out how to upload pictures. I am a big Konica film camera/lens collector so my pics will be digital conversions. Will the sizing be a problem?

Since this soap will likely be available for sale within the next few days I will probably cut and paste the test review onto the REVIEWS section of this site. I will then try to figure out how to upload pictures. I am a big Konica film camera/lens collector so my pics will be digital conversions. Will the sizing be a problem?

The gallery will resize them for you. Not a problem.

....The next batch is our own blend of Jasmine, Amber and Sandalwood. It will be 'cured' and ready to ship on October 7th.
Sue & Wendy

that sounds like a great combination....I may have to stand in line...
EDIT: I forgot to mention, I have it on good authority that Uncle Albert has been working on a similar scent, but without Amber, and with _______....what, you'd think I'd give it away?
well of course I would...I just can't remember it :biggrin1:

This sounds like the next BIG thing! Sounds very interesting and definetely worth a try. Sounds like Bob was extremely impressed. SCS regular soaps are outstanding and are near perfect IMHO. I use the lavender quite often. The fact that it is soft makes it easy to form into a bowl of choice.

The immediately preceding post talked about forming SCS soaps into the mug or bowl. I understand cold process soaps will not take to the microwave! I asked Sue about this when I got the puck originally and she said microwaving will BURN the soap. I just got the soap softened and put it into a bowl the day before use. It held on to the shave bowl just fine.

Whewww. thank goodness you didn't include Fruit Blast Sue. I am not a soap shaver much. I like your shave sticks. Make a fruit blast one please.

I think I might like to try that Rose version. I've got plenty of spice and musk scents. Are these going to be made to order or will there be a variety kept in stock?

Shep,
Right now all I have available is Savory Rose. I made a batch earlier this week in a different fragrance (jasmine, sandalwood/amber) but it won't be cured for about 2 1/2 weeks. I probably will offer four fragrances.
Sue

Shep,
Right now all I have available is Savory Rose. I made a batch earlier this week in a different fragrance (jasmine, sandalwood/amber) but it won't be cured for about 2 1/2 weeks. I probably will offer four fragrances.
Sue

I'm sorry Sue, but I haven't followed this from the beginning I guess. Are you saying you have Rose soap for sale now? And if so are they the $6 pucks shown on your website or are those something different? Are these new cold process soaps even for sale yet? Sorry for being dense. If you do have Rose available now I think I'm interested. Thanks.

Hi Shep,
I only have Rose now, in Limited amount, which will be on my website sometime this weekend. They are not the same Savory Rose currently on the site which is glycerin based. (The glycerin base is slightly more than half or the ingredients; it holds the other ingredients together. It's not one of several available for purchase-bulk glycerin shave soaps we just melt, fragrance and mold as our own).

This Hybrid soap while in the same fragrance, is a Cold Process soap that has to "Cure" (the water evaporates after completion of saponification) and is a hard, long lasting bar or puck). If you try to nuke it, you will either burn it or just ruin it. It would have to be milled into a container if you don't just put it into a mug or lathering bowl. It is in the shape of a Rose as will the other fragrances as they become available.
Sue

Cool. I'll check the site this weekend and thanks for the info. Maybe combine an order w/ that Med. Citrus splash we've talked about. My wife will flip, but sacrifices must be made for the greater good.

I have used this soap every other day since I submitted my test review to Sue. On two different occassions I added a tad bit too much water to thin it out. If this happens to you just hit the soap puck lightly with the brush and whip away. It will thicken up fast. By the way, I used T&H Lavender yesterday and the lubricating properties were almost identical.

That's great to hear! It is now up on my website in the 'soap/Cream' section.
Sue

Shazam!! Order placed for the rose cold process and a bottle of Med. Citrus. I need both like I need an extra hole in my head.

What can I do? <shrug> Gotta keep feeding the monkey.

Top Bottom