What's new

New Ambrose Strop material for paddle strop

I recently contacted Jose of Ambrose strops and asked him if it would be possible or even practical to use a piece of his new leather for a paddle strop. Jose immediately replied back that since it had never been tried for use on a paddle strop he would send me a piece to test and see how it worked.

Within just a few days I received 2 pieces of his new leather cut to size to make a paddle strop and test.

My first impression of this leather was.... WOW this is almost better than sex... really it is that incredible to touch and you just want to cuddle up to it and hold it close to your face. it has the feel of one of those really high priced suede jackets. But this leather is thick enough that it gives it good body but not so thick that it is stiff and ungiving.

After I glued the leather to my paddle I tried it out to get a feel for kind of draw this strop had. I was very very impressed, The draw was just enough that you could feel it but not so much that it felt like it was dragging and after just a few laps you could feel the ever so slight change in the draw. I think because I strop slowly I may feel it more than others might.

This is an excellent choice for a paddle strop and I would highly recommend this strop to anyone that is planning a restore to an old paddle strop or someone that just wants a new strop. Jose is awesome to work with and he would be happy to cut it any size you need for your paddle.

As for price, it would be dependent on the size of your paddle so give Jose a call or send him a PM or contact him by way of this link....

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?p=2449931#post2449931

My only advice is that you also get a piece of his linen strop material for the other side of your paddle strop.

BTW I am not in any way affiliated with Ambrose other than being a very satisfied customer.

Below are a few photos of my paddle strop :thumbup:

Last edited:
... BTW I am not in any way affiliated with Ambrose other than being a very satisfied customer...

Disclosure: I am somewhat associated with Nerdman (Ernie) of Ambrose in that he sometimes refurbishes razors for my WhippedDog.com website.

Nonetheless, I think AmbroseShave.com (Jose and Ernie) are really going to bring something to our community.

Disclosure: I am somewhat associated with Nerdman (Ernie) of Ambrose in that he sometimes refurbishes razors for my WhippedDog.com website.

Nonetheless, I think AmbroseShave.com (Jose and Ernie) are really going to bring something to our community.

I completely agree with you on this, Although I have not had an opportunity to deal with Ernie yet I can say that Jose is absolutely wonderful to talk to he is very quick to reply to any PM or email no matter what time you send it to him. ( I sometimes wonder if Jose sleeps) I can't see anyone ever being dissatisfied with the service from Ambroseshave.com They are friendly, fast, polite, and they do awesome work.

I would definitely do business with them again. :thumbup:

Top Bottom