What's new

Need Watch Advice!!

I'm looking to buy a watch for Christmas. I only can spend as high as 300.00. I like the looks of the Seiko, Bulova, watches but then again i really don't know many brands, other than the uber expensive ones. I'm looking for a dress type watch. Maybe with a leather strap? The only watch i own right now is the B&B LE Bernhardt watch. Can you help me with this?

Citizen has a pretty wide variety of watches. I have found them to be quite durable and the ecodrive feature is very neat.

AAhhh. There's something i really hadn't thought of there. What would you recommend for a watch noob?

Quartz have little maintenance other than battery changes every 1 or 2 years. Automatics require maintenance every 5 years or so. To me quartz watches have no soul. Automatics are like wearing a tiny machine.

Quartz have little maintenance other than battery changes every 1 or 2 years. Automatics require maintenance every 5 years or so. To me quartz watches have no soul. Automatics are like wearing a tiny machine.

Sounds like i need an automatic then. I like your description of them. What brands would you recommend for me to look at?

OldSaw

The wife's investment
If you go with quartz, I would recommend the Citizen Eco-drive as you will never need to change the battery.

For an automatic there are many to chose from. I will defer to the watch geeks on this. I like the thinness of my Hamilton automatic and the crystal on the back appeals to my own geekiness toward being able to look inside. However, the Hamilton was more than $300 a few years ago, so let the watch geeks be your guide.

What about a a nice seiko diver? Can't go wrong with that. I'm currently waiting to receive my Debaufre Vintage GMT. Can't freakin wait!!!

What about a a nice seiko diver? Can't go wrong with that. I'm currently waiting to receive my Debaufre Vintage GMT. Can't freakin wait!!!

He is looking for a dress watch. Nevertheless, Seiko does have some nice dress watches.

A movement made in Japan as opposed to Swiss or somewhere else. Usually referring to a movement made by Seiko.

What kind of quality is it? When you hear of watch movements it's usually Swiss or Quartz. Is Japan Movement new? Sounds like the same thing as a "Made in China" tag lol.

:sad:
The Japanese have been making watches of equivalent or better quality/$ than the Swiss for over 30 years. "Made in Japan" is as sure a sign of quality as "Swiss Made" and you don't pay a silly premium for the privilege.
In fact, if you pay $2,000 for a Japanese watch (Royal Orient or Grand Seiko) I reckon you'd get better quality than a Swiss one at the same price, though that is a statement which might very well generate its own monster thread!
To re-iterate, Japanese = excellence.
The quality of my Orient Metro is superb. It runs around +8s/day under the stress of being a kindergarten teacher (which means lots of running around, falling over and slamming desks to get the kids to be quiet) and the only flaw I can fins using a X15 loupe is a slight distortion on the polishing of one of the hands. And how much are they selling for on orientusa?

:sad:
The Japanese have been making watches of equivalent or better quality/$ than the Swiss for over 30 years. "Made in Japan" is as sure a sign of quality as "Swiss Made" and you don't pay a silly premium for the privilege.
In fact, if you pay $2,000 for a Japanese watch (Royal Orient or Grand Seiko) I reckon you'd get better quality than a Swiss one at the same price, though that is a statement which might very well generate its own monster thread!
To re-iterate, Japanese = excellence.
The quality of my Orient Metro is superb. It runs around +8s/day under the stress of being a kindergarten teacher (which means lots of running around, falling over and slamming desks to get the kids to be quiet) and the only flaw I can fins using a X15 loupe is a slight distortion on the polishing of one of the hands. And how much are they selling for on orientusa?

I guess i should have been alot more clearer in my post. I didn't mean to insult anyone lol. After all, everything is made in China now :lol: The reason i asked is because I settled on a Bulova watch today. After posting this I went to Macy's to pick out my Christmas present from my wife. I looked at the Automatics and kept coming back to this watch wich isn't an automatic. So i said screw it. I'm going to be the one to have to wear this thing when i dress up so i'm going to pick a watch i'm happy to display. I like the looks of Bulova watches and i have a nice everyday watch (B&B LE) so i went with this one.

View attachment 137130

I'm sure all the seasoned watch vets will say "Why?" The answer is simple...Because I like it lol

I'm sure all the seasoned watch vets will say "Why?" The answer is simple...Because I like it lol

As you so rightly said, you're the one wearing the watch and you have to be happy with it.

The fact that you find a watch that you enjoy that is all that matters.

Here's to enjoying your new watch and being on time .

I guess i should have been alot more clearer in my post. I didn't mean to insult anyone lol. After all, everything is made in China now :lol: The reason i asked is because I settled on a Bulova watch today. After posting this I went to Macy's to pick out my Christmas present from my wife. I looked at the Automatics and kept coming back to this watch wich isn't an automatic. So i said screw it. I'm going to be the one to have to wear this thing when i dress up so i'm going to pick a watch i'm happy to display. I like the looks of Bulova watches and i have a nice everyday watch (B&B LE) so i went with this one.

View attachment 137130

That's a nice one Bill. Congratulations.

Top Bottom