What's new

“Natural” deodorant?

I got a facebook ad for American Provenance and bought their unscented natural deodorant. I think it works remarkably well. I don't use it every time, I sometimes use Alum and sometimes a commercial deodorant and very infrequently an antiperspirant.

I can put out a good end of day odor, and after a hot stressful day at work with Schmidt’s so far I am not detecting anything. Will have to check for any skin irritation as I am prone to that with some AP-Ds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am green with envy. If I wait more than an hour to apply deo after a shower, I can sit at my desk doing nothing and still smell. Unfair!

Sweating is one thing but smelling that quickly? Maybe you aren’t cleaning effectively? Clean sweat shouldn’t smell. Takes a while for bacteria to grow.. Maybe something else is going on?

Just plain old water....

I switched from chemically engineered antiperspirants and deodorants a month ago and have not looked back.
I have been using warrior deodorant (bicarb and shea butter) with great success. So much so that my wife has stolen it.

I use potassium alum as a deodorant. It's as natural as it gets.

Aluminium isn't a deodorant. It is an antiperspirant which works by blocking your sweat ducts.
Using aluminium to block your pores and stop sweating isn't natural. There are concerns about the use of aluminium in skin products ( the subject of a thread by itself) and there is the issues of restricting your bodies natural functions (Sweating).

Any form of deodorant or antiperspirant is not "natural", far from it, but a simple deodorant which stops bacteria growth, rather than stopping the sweating and/or killing that bacteria is as close as you will get.

In my limited experience for the last month or so, the simpler methods work rather well.

Aluminium isn't a deodorant. It is an antiperspirant which works by blocking your sweat ducts.
Using aluminium to block your pores and stop sweating isn't natural. There are concerns about the use of aluminium in skin products ( the subject of a thread by itself) and there is the issues of restricting your bodies natural functions (Sweating).
W
Any form of deodorant or antiperspirant is not "natural", far from it, but a simple deodorant which stops bacteria growth, rather than stopping the sweating and/or killing that bacteria is as close as you will get.

In my limited experience for the last month or so, the simpler methods work rather well.
Once again you’re confusing alum with aluminum. Alum kills bacteria and is a deodorant

Once again you’re confusing alum with aluminum. Alum kills bacteria and is a deodorant
+1
No i am not. I am well aware of what alum is and the different versions of aluminium salts there are.

Potassium alum - Wikipedia
You're confusing potassium alum with Aluminum chlorohydrate.
While both do contain aluminum, they're both quite different. Potassium alum is indeed used as a deodorant since it kills the bacteria that causes order under the underarm. It does not work as an antiperspirant unless Aluminum chlorohydrate has been added to it. The Potassium alum deodorant I use does not contain the antiperspirant salt Aluminum chlorohydrate.
But hey, what do I know, I've only been using it for the last 5 years!
20190716_064201.jpg
20190716_064336.jpg

I've tried a bunch of deodorants since I decided to leave the world of antiperspirants, years ago. Most were irritating. In fact, all were, over time, except Sudsy Soapery. I now keep at least half a dozen Sudsy tubs my den, just so I won't run out for awhile if they ever discontinue the line. The scents are all very mild, but they hold throughout the day, regardless of the sweat. We had a very hot day last week during which I exerted myself, creating quite a sweat. No bodily scent emerged, although my shirt was drenched. I'm a fan.

I've tried a bunch of deodorants since I decided to leave the world of antiperspirants, years ago. Most were irritating. In fact, all were, over time, except Sudsy Soapery. I now keep at least half a dozen Sudsy tubs my den, just so I won't run out for awhile if they ever discontinue the line. The scents are all very mild, but they hold throughout the day, regardless of the sweat. We had a very hot day last week during which I exerted myself, creating quite a sweat. No bodily scent emerged, although my shirt was drenched. I'm a fan.

I might look that stuff up.
Nothing wrong with sweating, it is perfectly natural.

Several things on Amazon that are called “Crystal” deodorant stick. All with different labeling. Are they all the same?

Starting to get some irritation on day 5 of Schmidt’s. May need to try something else.

Thanks all for the insight and ideas so far! I know that the aluminum in antiperspirant causing Alzheimer’s etc is a unproven debate thus far, but if it were accurate...would “alum” also have the same active aluminum ingredient level? Trying to go the “not putting excessive stuff” into my body route if possible.

Alum is an aluminum salt; it’s not the same as the aluminum compounds used in antiperspirant, but it’s certainly not “aluminum free”. (Though antiperspirants can have a lot of other stuff while crystal deodorants usually have a pretty short ingredient list.)

FWIW, I’ve been using the Duke Cannon Deodorant lately (antiperspirants in general haven’t been great for me, and tend to ruin shirts) - I’ve been pretty happy so far:

Trench Warfare Natural Charcoal Deodorant (Sandalwood & Amber)

upload_2019-7-17_23-3-30.jpeg

This product from Chagrin Valley works for me as does Schmidt’s as mentioned earlier by Shantytownbrown.

So, started to develop a rash, weirdly, only on one side with the Schmidt’s. Disappointing because it worked so well.

Maybe it’s coconut or jojoba oils?

I had an extra alum block lying around so yesterday I gave that a go. So far, no stink and no irritation. I ordered a $3 travel size of Crystal. We shall see.

I use alum as a deodorant. It works great, no irritation (unlike anti-persperants). Regular deodorant sticks typically do not block odor, they mask it.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
So, started to develop a rash, weirdly, only on one side with the Schmidt’s. Disappointing because it worked so well.

Maybe it’s coconut or jojoba oils?

I had an extra alum block lying around so yesterday I gave that a go. So far, no stink and no irritation. I ordered a $3 travel size of Crystal. We shall see.

How'd it go for you?
Dave.

Top Bottom