What's new

My trip report to Pasteur's and NY Shaving Co.

So...thanks to all of you good folks on here, I decided to head in NYC a little early yesterday for a client meeting so that I could drop by Pasteur's on 34th and Park.

This really is a paradise for all wetshavers and even though a relatively small percentage of their store is dedicated to shaving products, it's incredibly easy to walk up and down that section starting, drooling, wishing, and wanting. I had gone there thinking that I might pick up "just a few" things, and ultimately I was able to stick to my guns. I did get a couple of items that I didn't quite plan on, and I was tempted by a few other things that I was able to resist...at least for the time being.

Attention: Non-shaving related tangent ahead. Skip over if not interested or have a lack of sense of humor. :001_tongu
Unfortunately, my time at Pasteurs didn't get off to a smooth start. After about 5 minutes of pacing up and down the aisle I started to feel....well, not entirely well. Trying my best to ignore the gurgling in my nether regions I persevered and attempted to continue with my browsing. Unfortunately, this started to become bothersome enough to the point that I could no longer continue with a relaxed demeanor. I already had a couple of items in my basket and I was dressed rather well, so I figured that perhaps the nice woman at the front of the store might recognize that I'm not just some random schub off the street, and therefore would allow me to use her bathroom. I approached her with the most humble face that I could muster and asked if she would provide me with some relief. She hesitated for a moment and then proceeded to tell me that if I went to the doctors office next door and told the doorman that "she" (I forgot her name) sent me over there, then he would allow me to use their restroom.

A little hesitant, I realized I had no choice but to follow her directions. I proceeded next door, approached the doorman with a smile, and informed him that the nice woman next door said I should ask him to use the facilities. He graciously pointed me in the right direction and I was on my way. I enter the restroom and notice that the previous person had gone number 1, and had forgotten to flush the toilet. Great. I go ahead and make the flush myself and get down to business.

After emptying the entire contents of both my small AND large intestine, I decide to give a courtesy flush so that the paint didn't start peeling off the walls. It was at that moment I realized why the person before me didn't flush himself. Apparently, the handle on this toilet is a bit tricky and requires the perfect touch in order to get it to work. It just so happened that when I flushed it the first time I had the magic touch. Unfortunately, I didn't have it any longer. I made about 20 attempts to flush this damn toilet...only to end my efforts in failure.

Dismayed, I figured I needed to make a very quick exit out of that building, and I knew that there was going to be a very unfortunate soul that was going to encounter the chemical spill that I had just left behind. Before opening the door with the plan on running out of there with my head down and my tail between my legs, I decided to give one final effort. Voila! The magic touch returned and the toxic waste vanished below the streets of Manhattan. Victory!

Non shaving related story over. At ease, soldier.

So anyway...I ended up with some Castle Forbes Lime shaving cream, a bottle of Osage Rub a tube of Marvis Strong Mint toothpaste, and a bottle of Pinaud Lime Sec. The Lime Sec was kind of an impulse buy and also a compromise to my strong desire to pick up a bottle of Royall Lyme. They actually had a tester of the Royall Lyme, so I gave myself a squirt on my hand just to see what the smell and longevity was like. The smell was amazing, and it turned out the longevity was quite good for a lime aftershave, as I caught hints of it for a couple hours afterwards. Unfortunately, this was the one item I saw that was very much overpriced relative to what I've seen from online retailers. Everything else there was as cheap, or cheaper.

As of this point, I haven't tried the CF lime yet, although in the tub it smells fantastic! The Marvis toothpaste was just ok...it sure has a cool looking tube and all, but I think for the price I'm going to stick my my Arm and Hammer. The Osage Rub sure does freeze the face, but I find that I smell like Vicks Vapo-Rub for quite a long time afterwards...so that's a no-go. The Lime Sec was...ehhhh. Decent enough scent going on, but it quickly fades to a soapy/powdery scent. I have a feeling it's going to get PIF'ed or sold in the near future...at which point I'll be picking up some Royall Lyme on Amazon.

So anyway...even though 3 out of the 4 things I picked up were fails, it really was a wonderful experience. I did mention to the woman up front that I heard about their store from B&B, and she graciously gave me a 10% discount on my purchase. Note...I didn't ask for it, so if you're reading this and planning on making the trip, I suggest that you not ask for it either and just cross your fingers that you caught her on a good day. YMMV.

This story is getting a bit long in the tooth, so let me just also briefly add that I also stopped by the NY Shaving Company on 49th and 3rd and picked up their St. Patricks Shaving Cream. My intention was to get their Tonsorial, due to the recommendations of a few, but I didn't really like the scent nearly as much as the St. Patricks. I shaved with it this morning and it was very good. I think a decent way of describing it is a milder version of Irish Spring bar soap with some hints of pine sprinkled in. Excellent lather and great cushion. The only caveat is that it might not be great for sensitive skin. It had quite a bit of "tingle" to it, much in the same way that Proraso Green or Martin de Candre has, so if those aren't friendly to your skin, this might not be either.

Pics ahead...thanks for reading!

$photo 3.jpg
$photo 4.jpg

You have new shaving supplies? Cool. I found a glove.

$photo 1.jpg

Last edited:
Oh...let me add, that the two things I did not get this time around that I most definitely will pick up next time: TOBS Grapefruit and Rose Shaving Cream. Mmmmmmm..... :biggrin1:

Ugh New York Shaving Company ST. Patrick? That is what they give lost soles traveling through Purgatory. I will never buy another New York Shaving Company product. It would be to mean to even PIF that stuff away to a person you hated. No cushion, no glide and irritates the hell out of a face.

If you want to experience what it is like to be a subject animal in a cometic companies test lab, shave with that stuff.

Ugh New York Shaving Company ST. Patrick? That is what they give lost soles traveling through Purgatory. I will never buy another New York Shaving Company product. It would be to mean to even PIF that stuff away to a person you hated. No cushion, no glide and irritates the hell out of a face.

If you want to experience what it is like to be a subject animal in a cometic companies test lab, shave with that stuff.

Sorry you didn't like it. I didn't say it was my favorite, but it's the first cream I've used in a very long time and I thought it was quite good. It's been almost 12 hours since I shaved with it and my face still feels smooth. I will definitely look forward to having it as a regular part of my rotation.

FYI, Mantic is a big fan of the Tonsorial...which is the reason why I was originally going to give that a shot.

I'll be using the CF Lime cream tomorrow and will post my thoughts.

Pasteurs is great but I swear they keep the thermostat at 90!!!

It does always feel somewhat tropical inside the 34th Street location. I surmise that they keep it warm to accommodate the largely elderly clientele that frequents the pharmacy in the back of the store.

I, too, am not a big fan of the NY Shaving Company cream. In my case, except for the unscented, they burn me terribly (although I like the smell of the Elizabeth Street and Tonsorial). The creams are also a little expensive without discounts at $18 plus City tax for only 4oz. In that price range, the Art of Shaving is a much better choice, and they are conveniently located near both of the Pasteur locations.

If craniac24 had mentioned that he was interested in the NYSC in the other thread where he discussed his intended trip to NYC, I would have advised him that the store will give you a discount (I think it was 20%) if you mention "mantic" (the online code) and that you are a member of this or other shave forums. Oh well, he can use it on his next trip . . .

It does always feel somewhat tropical inside the 34th Street location. I surmise that they keep it warm to accommodate the largely elderly clientele that frequents the pharmacy in the back of the store.

I, too, am not a big fan of the NY Shaving Company cream. In my case, except for the unscented, they burn me terribly (although I like the smell of the Elizabeth Street and Tonsorial). The creams are also a little expensive without discounts at $18 plus City tax for only 4oz. In that price range, the Art of Shaving is a much better choice, and they are conveniently located near both of the Pasteur locations.

If craniac24 had mentioned that he was interested in the NYSC in the other thread where he discussed his intended trip to NYC, I would have advised him that the store will give you a discount (I think it was 20%) if you mention "mantic" (the online code) and that you are a member of this or other shave forums. Oh well, he can use it on his next trip . . .

Well that's interesting. I met the owner John, and mentioned both B&B AND Mantic. No discount for me...but I didn't ask for one nor expect one. Although, he did offer me a shot of whiskey! Haha.

The selection at Pasteur is enough to make you dizzy. There is also one on the upper east side where I live but have not been there.

Top Bottom