What's new

My Thinest scales.

Had some free time this weekend, so I decided to rescale a couple of razors I had sitting around with trashed scales.

These were mostly prototypes to see how sleek and thin I could get the scales. One is average, however one I went a bit extreme, I was doubtful on it working as I was making them, however they turned out better than my wildest imagination. It took about 20 minutes "fine tuning" the peen's to get them exactly centered (Especially the extreme Utica), but they're both bang on center and close perfect.

It's my first attempt, so they're not perfect, however the images are zoomed in very close, to the imperfections are amplified a lot, they look really great IRL.

The razors are a 5/8 Utica Wembley and a 9/16 Torrey Mayfair:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

The Torrey scales, not overly thin but nice and sleek. I've put a penny in the shot for scale. The spacer is ebony.

proxy.php

Excuse the pitting :/ Still a real nice razor otherwise.

proxy.php

The Utica. Again a penny to give scale. The zebrawood wedge is tapered slightly, but hard to see its so thin at the tip of the scales.

proxy.php

A penny wouldn't fit, so here's a dime, its even too big to squeeze in there.

proxy.php

Its a very hallow ground blade, so it fits nicely in there with plenty of room. Centered perfectly. Will age and warping affect this? It very may... only time will tell. Am I crazy? Probably. But this is just an experiment :tongue_sm

proxy.php

Nice job!

What kind of wood is it?

As long as the wood was thoroughly dried & they aren't exposed to extreme condition, I think they'll be fine & hold up well!

THIN = WIN!

Vintage scales are about this thick usually.... more custom scales guys need to work on thinning out their custom scale thickness because when you do, it really pays off. I applaud you! well done! :D

Thanks everyone for the kind comments! It makes the extra time it took to get these done worth it!

Nice job!

What kind of wood is it?

As long as the wood was thoroughly dried & they aren't exposed to extreme condition, I think they'll be fine & hold up well!

I obtained this wood without knowing exactly what it is. It loooks very similar to purpleheart that I already have, only more brown in colour. In raw form its much more purple.

THIN = WIN!

Vintage scales are about this thick usually.... more custom scales guys need to work on thinning out their custom scale thickness because when you do, it really pays off. I applaud you! well done! :D

Thanks Brad, actually your work was a big part of my inspiration while making these. I appreciate the knowledge you share about your own work, it has really helped me grow my own skills.

Looks good,
The only down side I can think of on the Utica. Less wiggle room in case the blade get bumped off center.

I like it.

I like the fact that you took the time to thin the scales to a thickness which gives them a sense of lightness. Most folks use wood to make thick, clunky, scales. Yours are not clunky or amatureish. they are wonderful! Congratulations!
Respectfully
~Richard

How do you fine tune the peening to correct the center? I've tried doing more taps on one side over the other but it didn't seem to do anything (and intuitively in my head it shouldn't...)

Oh, and very nice work! I need to get thinner on my next scales for sure!

Hey Chris,

Good question. I've tried to draw a (very basic) picture of how I adjust the pins.

Basically I tap to one side lightly in a diagonal movement towards the pin. Then flip and do the same on the other side. I do this on my vice which seconds as a small anvil. Since the vice surface is not perfectly smooth, the bottom pin should somewhat held in place (it does move a bit though). This allows the pin to twist (twist might be the wrong term but I can't think of a better word right now) ever so slightly and move the blade with it. Once its where I want it, I spend a bit of time tapping the pin to "clean" it up, making it round and even looking. If its scarred I will tend to sand it lightly before buffing the pin to remove the scratches and imperfections.

I hope that helps, its a difficult process to explain in words.

Evan I'm digging those thin scales. I've been tempted to make thin scales too but was unsure as to whether they would hold up to the stresses of peening. Now I know it's no problem. Great job buddy! :thumbup1:

Hey Chris,

Good question. I've tried to draw a (very basic) picture of how I adjust the pins.

Basically I tap to one side lightly in a diagonal movement towards the pin. Then flip and do the same on the other side. I do this on my vice which seconds as a small anvil. Since the vice surface is not perfectly smooth, the bottom pin should somewhat held in place (it does move a bit though). This allows the pin to twist (twist might be the wrong term but I can't think of a better word right now) ever so slightly and move the blade with it. Once its where I want it, I spend a bit of time tapping the pin to "clean" it up, making it round and even looking. If its scarred I will tend to sand it lightly before buffing the pin to remove the scratches and imperfections.

I hope that helps, its a difficult process to explain in words.

This post belongs in the WIKI!

And, your workmanship is very impressive! I love the way those blades turned out!

Love the svelte scales. IMO very clean this way.
Excellent illustration too.

Regarding the vice scarring pinning at bottom side pin, a jewelers block placed on the vice is a nice accessory to use for that. Cheap even at Amazon. Sanding to high grit still make a perfect finish on those heads though, lol.

Top Bottom