What's new

My second restore/rebuild

Here’s my second attempt at a brush rebuild. I bought an Ever-Ready model 100 as part of a lot on the shopgoodwill.com auction. I have another silvertip-rebuilt Ever-Ready clear but I’m not entirely happy with it. I wanted to do a rebuild with a TGN best badger knot since I’d been happy with my previous scratch build of a TGN handle and a finest badger knot. That brush is on semi-permanent loan to a friend burned out by a fire, so this rebuild is a sort of replacement for my daily shave. The brush as purchased measured 10.5 cm (105mm). [pic 1]

$Before picture.jpg

It had been loaded originally with dyed boar bristle I believe. I washed it upon arrival but the original bristles just kept falling out, so I couldn’t try it out as a boar brush. I cut off the old bristles with a scissors and then I used a #115 high-speed steel cutter on my Dremel to remove the remains of the knot. [pic #2]

$handle shorn of bristles.jpg

This cylindrical cutter was exactly what I couldn’t find for the last rebuild I did but I had visited the local hobby shop since and stocked up on Dremel accessories. I found that the very center of the knot was actually some sort of plastic; the bristles were only around the perimeter of the handle. I cut out the knot “bottom” and found to my dismay that I’d gone through the shallow recess for the old knot. I removed all of the old stuff and found that the handle wasn’t very good; it was just what seemed to me to be cheap plastic with very little weight. [pic #3]

$all cleaned out dremel & nickels.jpg

I enlarged the hole in the top of the handle to better seat my new 20mm best badger knot from TGN. I filled the base of the handle with epoxy and 8 nickels to give the handle some heft and chamfered the bottom of the new knot to better fit it in the handle. After the epoxy set up, I glued in the knot with DAP Silicone Adhesive Sealer which is waterproof; it’s used for sealing aquaria. After setting overnight, I couldn’t wait to use it this morning. The rebuilt brush was 100mm overall; the knot had a 50mm loft. [pic #4]

$pre-bloom.jpg

After shampooing the bristles and “soaking” them in Tabac from 20 minutes to remove the animal odor, I used the rebuilt brush to lather up Trufitt & Hill’s 1805. My SWMBO had given me an assortment of T&H samples last Christmas and I felt this was an ideal opportunity to use some. The brush lathered well and felt good. The bristles are compact and springy, although a bit scritchy. That was unexpected but I think that will improve with more, frequent use. [pic #5]

$lathered up.jpg

All in all, a successful rebuild but nowhere near the collectible quality seen in this part of Badger & Blade; it’s just a sow’s ear situation. If I tire of the handle, I’ll dissect it to remove the knot and probably get a scratch built (turned or thrown) handle from someone on B&B and use that for the knot. I’ll do one more soon: a finest knot in a black Opal brand handle for my youngest nephew’s birthday in September(the one who I converted to DE shaving over Christmas).

Last edited by a moderator:
All in all, a successful rebuild but nowhere near the collectible quality seen in this part of Badger & Blade; it’s just a sow’s ear situation..

It looks great you did a good job if you do tire of the handle put it up on the bst and use the cash to get another knot no need to chop up a perfectly good brush that some body else will use...

Swamps: you're right. I should probably sell it at that point. After all, I have a lot of money sunk into it.........:biggrin:

Hig: It has a very nice heft to it, but in the razor/brush rack it's "top" heavy and falls out. :confused1

Thanks for the kudos, guys.

Top Bottom