What's new

My first DE shave concluded.

So today was the day. I had aquired all of the basics, a razor, blades, soap and a brush. I woke up around 8:30 am and sat everything out, excited, but hopefully about my new path to a better shave..

I had purchased a mini gift set of White Birch and tobacco butter from Burlington Coat Factory. So, it wasn't a puck, nor really cream. It all ready had the yogurt consistency in the jar. It smelled more menthol than anything. No idea what white birch smells like, and the tobacco smell was faint. I then pulled out the synthetic brush that came with the gift set and wasn't impressed..

I picked up my Shave Factory (Derby) razor bought from Sally's Beauty Supply and dropped it onto the tile floor. Should have taken that as a sign, but I inspected it and saw nothing wrong (as if I could tell) and proceeded. I placed the razor and the brush in my mug filled with warm water and took a shower. .

After the shower I began. I took a dime sized mount of the cream with water and placed it is the mug and tried to work up a lather. .It only made the cream more milky. Another bad sign. No matter how much I tried no lather. I checked the directions. Which were of no help. I finally stuck the brush directly in the cream and applied. I then realized this was possibly a brushless soap. I remembered a few guys mentioning that slightly in the limited reviews I had found online, but never processed what that meant to actually applying it. I proceeded to lather my face and head with the shaving soap. The smell was very minimal. The brush was able to lather ok. But, sadly I could get the blade to catch on my skin. I was able to shave without incident. I didn't have any nicks or cuts, mostly because I followed all the advice of light pressure, but the blade never really came into contact to cut any facial hair (which I had a 3-4 day growth of). Then, it happened, the cream started to run down my head into my eyes. Which made me ask should I be doing my face and head at the same time, or should it be done separately? So, now looking like Carrie (minus the red color of blood) with milky white goo running down my head into my eyes, distracting my rhythm while applying a sharp blade to my face and head-Ah, living the dream! I decided to power through, but sadly had it running down my neck to my chest and stomach. It was a bloody mess, especially compounded by the fact I didn't see any hair in the sink after each rinse. Thus, I was not impressed with the.Personna.blade (a last minute substitute from the Astra). It seemed to sit to far in and not set out far enough. Will definitely consider upgrading to VDH, Astra and possibly Feather blades-hell anything else, maybe a rusty soup can lid..

I had planned to do 2 passes WTG only (remember it my first time). But after the 2nd pass left me with a goatee stubble (under the nose, mouth and chin) and virtually no hair removed from the back of my head. I finished and went to take a nap, but couldnt sleep, bexause I needed to address this. So, I got up and did one final pass against the grain and not duplicating the messy disaster of earlier got mostly all of the hair that remained. I still had some very light hair on my cheeks. But, I felt it was good enough as I concluded I would also need to refine my technique by much more practice. It was the closest shave I have had in a long time.

Immediate takeaways: I got over my anxiety of having the blade contact my skin (when it did) so that's gone. The knowledge that my face has many more subtle contours than I knew, but thankfully no cuts or nicks occured. .That I need to do more research on the selection and use of my tools and products. Next, it can only get better. Lastly, tSo today was the day. I had aquired all of the basics, a razor, blades, soap and a brush. I woke up around 8:30 am and sat everything out, excited but hopefully about my new path to a better shave..

I had purchased a mini gift set of White Birch and tobacco butter from Burlington Coat Factory. So, it wasn't a puck, nor really cream. It all ready had the yogurt consistency in the jar. It smelled more menthol than anything. No idea what white birch smells like, and the tobacco smell was faint.

I then pulled out the synthetic brush that came with the gift set and wasn't impressed..

I picked up my Shave Factory (Derby) razor bought from Sally's Beauty Supply and dropped it onto the tile floor. Should have taken that as a sign, but I inspected it and saw nothing wrong (as if I could tell) and proceeded. I placed the razor and the brush in my mug filled with warm water and took a shower. .

After the shower I began. I took a dime sized mount of the cream with water and placed it is the mug and tried to work up a lather. .It only made the cream more milky. Another bad sign. No matter how much I tried no lather. I checked the directions. Which were of no help. I finally stuck the brush directly in the cream and applied. I then realized this was possibly a brushless soap. I remembered a few guys mentioning that slightly in the limited reviews I had found online, but never processed what that meant to actually applying it. I proceeded to lather my face and head with the shaving soap. The smell was very minimal. The brush was able to lather ok. But, sadly I could get the blade to catch on my skin. I was able to shave without incident. I didn't have any nicks or cuts, mostly because I followed all the advice of light pressure, but the blade never really came into contact to cut any facial hair (which I had a 3-4 day growth of). Then, it happened, the cream started to run down my head into my eyes. Which made me ask should I be doing my face and head at the same time, or should it be done separately? So, now looking like Carrie (minus the red color of blood) with milky goo running down my head into my eyes, distracting my rhythm while applying a sharp blade to my face and head-Ah, living the dream! I decided to power through, but sadly had it running down my neck to my chest and stomach. It was a bloody mess, especially compounded by the fact I didn't see any hair in the sink after each rinse. Thus, I was not impressed with the.Personna.blade (a last minute substitute from the Astra). It seemed to sit to far in and not set out far enough. Will definitely consider and upgrade to VDH, Astra and possibly Feather blades-hell anything else, maybe a rusty soup can lid..

I had planned to do 2 passes WTG only (remember it my first time). But after the 2nd pass left me with a goatee stubble (under the nose and around the mouth) and virtually no hair removed from the back of my head. I finished and went to take a nap, but realized I needed to address this. So, I got up and did one final pass against the grain and not duplicating the messy disaster of earlier got mostly all of the hair that remained. I still had some very light hair on my cheeks. But, I felt it was good enough as I concluded I would also need to refine my technique by much more practice. It was the closest shave I have had in a long time. I also got over my anxiety of having the blade contact my skin (when it did) so that's gone. But, I took away the knowledge that my face has many more subtle contours than I knew, but thankfully no cuts or nicks occured. .

Immediate takeaways: It can't get worse. Do more research before the next shave i.e. watch more videos, ask questions on the forum, educate myself by reading other members posts on the forum. I realized it's a long game and the goal is to improve

So all in all, not dissuaded, just a lot discouraged, because I thought I had prepared well for my first time-not even close: "Beware mileage may vary". I'll be doing it again, but I don't know if I'm suppose to shave everyday or when I have growth after a few days. I did feel.manly, but the little girl in me died a messy death to achieve that.

Welcome to DE shaving. If you run into issues, keep up with some of the threads and wikis on this board. They're worth gold. You also may want to upgrade your collection sometime from a brushless cream to a brushable cream.

And remember - prep is everything. A hot shower prior and some preshave lotion (like Proraso or Edwin Jagger) can make for a smooth glide of the razor against your face.

Then once you get accustomed to it... you'll get the shopping bug...creams, soaps, additional razors, etc.

I would at least pick up a puck of VDH, most stores (Target, Walgreens...) carry it and I would probably stay away from Feathers for a while, but some will tell you to go straight to Feathers so you really know what you are doing wrong. I just preferred not to learn at the expense of my face!

Welcome! Can't say I really have enough experience to give you advice except to say be patient and keep it up. You'll get this!

I can't tell you anything about the razor you are using, but I don't think it was the blades. Persona work well with most razors but work real well with aggressive ones. First thing I would do is not shave your head with a safety razor. At least while you are learning.

I am new to DE shaving as well. I have an EJ DE81 and have been using a borrowed Gillette new long comb. I used a Persona in the new and a Feather in the EJ. I noticed tonight after shaving with the new for a few days that the EJ is not as aggressive as I would like.

Anyway, shaving your head with a safety razor that you don't know how to use yet is just a bad idea in my opinion.

WalMart does indeed sell Van Der Hagen soap, which I am currently using and works nice if you face lather. Proraso has some creams that work well for bowl lathering and there are a million other ones that lots of people love. I would try to stay away from Sally Beauty Supply and Bed Bath and Beyond for razors.

Also I wouldn't be so quick to blame the brush. I don't know what brush you have but I have a $10 synthetic from Maggards and it works very well.

Go to ebay and get some Proraso soap. The green Proraso is good. You can use your brush, and get the Proraso for around $8 with free shipping. I got mine for $6.90 with free shipping. It lathers very easily, and maintains a good lather. I can get 3 passes with fine tuning touch ups.

I think most of the issue might be in your soap of choice..... I havent even heard of White Birch. If you wasnt impressed with the brush i might guess it was a bad set altogether. I agree as others have said the VDH scented luxury shave soap is awesome stuff for right around $3.50 a puck. I started off with Taylor of Old Bond Street which is something just about every wet shaver agrees is good stuff (also about $10 cheaper than Art of Shaving). Proraso is another top shelf item and sales for $10 at any site. Most of the good stuff you can get for wet shaving can only be ordered online which sucks cuz shipping is a butt. Some websites id recommend would be maggardrazors.com italianbarber.com and of course amazon.com. Something i might note if you have a shaving foam or gel you like and have used before, i would use that with your razor and blade to get technique down. Then once your happy with your razor results then try soaps and brushes.

Off the top of my head if you had 20-30 bucks to spare heres what id do. Go to amazon.com and order a feather popular razor, tube of proraso cream any color, and an Omega synthetic brush.

Top Bottom