What's new

Moth holes and Reweavers ?

I'm crushed. Moths got my two best suit coats. They may be able to be saved.

Does anyone have experience with a re-weaver type operation and how did it work out?

Can anyone suggest the best shop for this kind of work?

I live in Portland Oregon so cant give any recommendation but I have had several suits in the past repaired by good weavers. You couldn't tell the difference unless you looked ont the inside of the fabric. Its fascinating to see what they can do.

Look up reweavers in the yellow pages or online and call and ask places. I had a cashmere overcoat rewoven when something caught the pocket and ripped. They did a pretty good job but it is very fine thread and if you look carefully you can tell. Definitely worth the cost though. In general, I think the looser the weave, the better it will look.

That is to bad. I hate it when i have to repair moth damage. Harris Tweed with its complex mix can normally be sewn discreetly so that you can't even see its been repaired. That's one of the reasons I like Harris Tweed suits and jackets.

I typically keep my suits in clothes bags and also keep a few moth balls in my wardrobe to keep pesky moths away. It's also helps if you try and dry clean your tweed suits periodically.

As an example, here is a jacket i had to repair recently. The close up one is one inch away. The other two about 12 inches. I think you may see its pretty hard to spot the repair unless your really looking for it.....

I've had some moth issues of late and I don't know where to find a weaver in NY/NJ. I would drive a good distance too. I recently bought some new suits and am scared of what will happen to them come summer. I've lined my closet with cedar blocks and have my plastic suitbags. We'll see how it goes.

One day the dog was so happy to see me, he snagged (no tore a long rip) in my Hickey Freeman.

I went to the local seamstress that does my alterations. She sent the pant to a reweaver in Chicago. They did an awesome job. I was completely satisfied.

Top Bottom