What's new

Most Comfortable Dress Shoe?

The most comfortable I've owned are ECCO's. I used to have a lot of heal pain from walking around the office and data center but since I've bought the ECCO's I've had no pain and no problems walking however much I want. I have very flat feet so take that as part of YMMV. :wink:

My latest shoe purchase was a pair of ECCO's. Bought them at DSW for considerably less than they were selling for on zappos.com at the time ($165 vs $100). Have been very happy with them. However, the most comfortable shoes I have are Clarks. I wouldn't exactly consider them dress shoes, but I get away with them at my workplace that tends to lean towards the casual side of business casual.

The most comfortable I've owned are ECCO's. I used to have a lot of heal pain from walking around the office and data center but since I've bought the ECCO's I've had no pain and no problems walking however much I want. I have very flat feet so take that as part of YMMV. :wink:

:thumbup:
I agree 110%, ECCO. I love them. They seem a little expensive at first, but they last.

:thumbup:
I agree 110%, ECCO. I love them. They seem a little expensive at first, but they last.

ecco shoes are indeed very comfortable, but I do have two issues with them:

1. As far as I know, they can't be recrafted, resulting in quite diminished "value."

2. They have "ecco" printed on the shoe. Visible brand names are an absolute deal breaker for me. Not at all "dressy."

Best - MM

ECCO are great and they're not too pricey but not cheap either. I'm on my second pair of ecco dress shoes, I put my first pair through hell and back but I still were them. Maybe not as classy as Mephisto but better quality than say Rocksport.

Russell moccasins are pretty comfortable. The "boxy" moc allows for toe room and they don't pinch when you walk.Probably not the choice if you're going to visit the queen, but that only happens once or twice a year.

ecco shoes are indeed very comfortable, but I do have two issues with them:

1. As far as I know, they can't be recrafted, resulting in quite diminished "value."

2. They have "ecco" printed on the shoe. Visible brand names are an absolute deal breaker for me. Not at all "dressy."

Best - MM

I agree with your second point. That's my only beef with them, but I like them so I over look it. I'm still a 'youngin' so I'm not familiar with recrafting a shoe. I'm just getting to the point that I don't wear sport type shoes any longer. At work I've always had to wear steel toe dress shoes so that's a different thing again. I've just started to realize that if you pay a little more, the shoe lasts and is more comfortable. Just my two cents.

Oh and Rockport are my second choice especially for casual dress shoes.

Dress shoe = leather uppers, leather insole and double leather soles not rubber. Cap toe, oxford, balmoral or blucher. Brouging can be present but minimal. The Allen Edmond Park Avenue is a classic dress shoe. AEs and Aldens are both still made in the USA if that is important to you. There are very few shoemakers left in the US as most of them have gone overseas. If you buy AEs and Aldens new, they are pretty expensive. If you buy factory seconds, they are at least half the price and you will be hard pressed to find the fault in my experience. If you buy AEs or Aldens, you have to factor in that the shoes will likely last you the rest of your life. They can be resoled, re-heeled and restored whereas most less expensive shoes cannot. Consider how many pairs of shoes you would buy over the next 30 years and factor that in too. You will need cedar shoe trees and will need to clean and polish them at some regularity. Get a shoe horn too. :biggrin:

Dennis

THanks for all the help guys...I've got my eye on some pretty great looking Mephistos, those are exactly the type of shoe I'm looking for.

Sorry I couldn't go into more detail, but I was at work and had to get in as much B&B as possible while being discreet.

Once again, I appreciate the quick help.

For about 2 years, I had to do a lot of walking while being dressed up. I wore Rockports and Florsheims, and they both worked great. I still have those Florsheims, and I bought them 13 years ago.

imo it is important to try on different types of shoes as they are built on different lasts and thus will fit better or worse depending on if you have a high arch, narrow foot, etc.

for me clarks and rockports are most consistent.

i like eccos for the fit, but in my experience the soles wear out faster and can't be redone. ecco did replace a premature sole failure at no charge so thumbs up on that.

don't forget that your shoe size changes as you get older(the foot flattens) so don't expect 20 years.

The best shoes are custom made Lobbs (London & NY)

As a mid-high priced shoe I prefer Churches

Given a choice, I'll wear my New Balance 1011's

I have 3 pairs of Loakes, no there not cheap but after 5 years (one pair 7 years and still look fantastic) they still look new, however I do look after them, keep them well cleaned and store them on wooden shoe tree's, they are well worth the money.

Kind regards
NIGEL

Top Bottom