What's new

Military-Style Hair Brushes

I'm not sure why it was called a military brush - I know that they were often sold as pairs (used one in each hand at the same time) and were packed for travel by placing them bristle-side together - thereby protecting the bristles during travel.

I also suspect that these were never standard issue...not sure HRH would have ever spent this much on the rank and file and that they would have been the sort of thing purchased by or for officers.

B R A N D X®;769627 said:
I know.....I know.......definitely a bit extravagant.:001_smile

It's hard to say how much if any it has helped my scalp, what I will tell you, and keep in mind this is about as unscientific as it gets, is that my hairline on my right side slowly started creeping higher at about age 36. Shortly after I bought the Kent (At age 40) it seemed to stop and stabilize.

*If* the Kent's stiffer bristled stimulation of my scalp had anything to do with that then ultimately it was worth a whole lot more than what I paid for it.:lol:

Honestly, in the past 18 months or so I haven't seen any additional hair loss.

The firm bristles of this style brush, and I imagine the same holds true for the inexpensive copy cat brushes, cut through the retro style pomade very well and are the perfect styling/sculpting tools for the hairstyle you are going for.

I thought I would see a build up of the pomade and figured I'd need to wash the bristles with shampoo periodically, but so far, this hasn't been an issue.

The ebony handle is mighty, mighty nice.:wink:

That's interesting. My hairline has been doing the same since since my mid 30's as well, at 43 I have some recession on both sides, which by the way don't buzz your hair off in the summer like I did- only makes the recession that much more obvious. I am fortunate I still have plenty for a nice parting and I'm not balding in the back like my dad and brother were by their late 20's.
I know it's not scientific.. but that's enough to justify spending that much in my book!
BTW Stu- sent you private message regarding ordering-check it out!!!

That's interesting. My hairline has been doing the same since since my mid 30's as well, at 43 I have some recession on both sides, which by the way don't buzz your hair off in the summer like I did- only makes the recession that much more obvious. I am fortunate I still have plenty for a nice parting and I'm not balding in the back like my dad and brother were by their late 20's.
I know it's not scientific.. but that's enough to justify spending that much in my book!
BTW Stu- sent you private message regarding ordering-check it out!!!

PM responded to.

Since my receding hairline only occurred on the side opposite my part it doesn't really show *unless* I buzz cut. That's one of the reasons I grew my hair out a bit and started going for more of that classic style reminiscent of the early 40's without looking too retro/costumey.

Since you obviously feel, as do I, that men should get back to a more formal dress in general and that things like fedoras should have never gone out of fashion....if you want to joing the brigade of middle-aged guys trying to revitalize a little style and class amongst men in this country I think it's important not to go overboard and have folks thinking you look like you are wearing a "gangster costume".

The goal is to have the majority of folks just think....."hmm.....he looks really nice......like a gentleman."

Just stick with a traditional, manly and well-groomed, side-parted style and don't walk around in cargo shorts and flip-flops wearing a ball cap!:biggrin:

I'm not sure why it was called a military brush - I know that they were often sold as pairs (used one in each hand at the same time) and were packed for travel by placing them bristle-side together - thereby protecting the bristles during travel.

I also suspect that these were never standard issue...not sure HRH would have ever spent this much on the rank and file and that they would have been the sort of thing purchased by or for officers.

So I just checked the Fedora Lounge query I posted as to the history of the term "Military Brush" and one of the members steered me towards a link on........Kent's website......:biggrin:

"Kent Brushes made hundreds of thousands of brushes for the War Office during WWI. A soldier's kit included a hair, tooth, shaving, cloth, shoe blacking, shoe polishing and button brush."

That all the info I've found so far. I doubt the GI (or whatever they call it in Britain) brush had an ebony handle, but due to items being generally better made in the early to mid 20th century with less of a disposable mentality, it's not much of a stretch to imagine the GI issue brush being pretty similar in quality overall (construction and bristle) to the current $90.00, higher end Kent brushes.......maybe with a Beech Wood handle or some other lesser wood versus the ebony that mine sports.

By the way, the Kent brush is currently available with a Beech Wood handle for about $28.00. It should be very similar to the high-dollar brushes.......same or similar function....less form.

The perfect Military Brush for the Honda set!:lol:

B R A N D X®;770465 said:
So I just checked the Fedora Lounge query I posted as to the history of the term "Military Brush" and one of the members steered me towards a link on........Kent's website......:biggrin:

"Kent Brushes made hundreds of thousands of brushes for the War Office during WWI. A soldier's kit included a hair, tooth, shaving, cloth, shoe blacking, shoe polishing and button brush."

That all the info I've found so far. I doubt the GI (or whatever they call it in Britain) brush had an ebony handle, but due to items being generally better made in the early to mid 20th century with less of a disposable mentality, it's not much of a stretch to imagine the GI issue brush being pretty similar in quality overall (construction and bristle) to the current $90.00, higher end Kent brushes.......maybe with a Beech Wood handle or some other lesser wood versus the ebony that mine sports.

By the way, the Kent brush is currently available with a Beech Wood handle for about $28.00. It should be very similar to the high-dollar brushes.......same or similar function....less form.

Hmmm.. I'll check it out.. so it's same quality bristles just a different handle eh?? - Honda Mike::cool:

B R A N D X®;770465 said:

Okay I'm confused, where are you seeing the Beechwood handle for $28.00
when i go to the kent site it shows the one you have for 25.00 and the beach wood for 25.00, I think that's in Euro's thought.. never bought anything Euro before.... if I'm looking at the right one.. it looks like the beechwood has "pure soft white bristles" and yours has just "pure white bristle". as long as the handle holds up I'd be fine with the beechwood... the bristles are more important to me, not sure if black bristle or white bristle is better. my hair is thick but fine in texture if that matters.

+1 on the Swissco. Uses real boar bristles, but the wood is oak instead of beechwood, ebony or satinwood. Works just as well as the kents, just not nearly visually as nice. I use one as a travel brush. If you want one on the cheap, this is your best bet.

I have also owned a Kent handmade MHS18, and currently own a Kent oval in Satinwood MS11 with white bristles. There is not and functional difference between the handmade and the non, although the handmade has a superior finish.

My wife also owns about 5 difference kent brushes, and they are all beautiful and well made. Should last a lifetime if your willing to spend the dough.

Thanks I will check out the Swissco as well. BTW I'M DIGGIN YOUR AVATAR... LAND OF THE LOST- Cha-Ka!! That was my favorite Saturday morning show along with the other Sid and Marty Kroft shows like Sigmund and the Sea Monsters!!! that avatar takes me back to grade school days!!

+1 on the Swissco. Uses real boar bristles, but the wood is oak instead of beechwood, ebony or satinwood. Works just as well as the kents, just not nearly visually as nice. I use one as a travel brush. If you want one on the cheap, this is your best bet.

I have also owned a Kent handmade MHS18, and currently own a Kent oval in Satinwood MS11 with white bristles. There is not and functional difference between the handmade and the non, although the handmade has a superior finish.

My wife also owns about 5 difference kent brushes, and they are all beautiful and well made. Should last a lifetime if your willing to spend the dough.

Okay I'm confused, where are you seeing the Beechwood handle for $28.00
when i go to the kent site it shows the one you have for 25.00 and the beach wood for 25.00, I think that's in Euro's thought.. never bought anything Euro before.... if I'm looking at the right one.. it looks like the beechwood has "pure soft white bristles" and yours has just "pure white bristle". as long as the handle holds up I'd be fine with the beechwood... the bristles are more important to me, not sure if black bristle or white bristle is better. my hair is thick but fine in texture if that matters.

Yeah....I was basing that on the price listed on Kent's website in BPS. I ran the conversion but came up with the wrong number. When you click the US flag you get a price of $30.45, but that's before shipping....and.....they list it as Out Of Stock.

You don't want the softer bristles, but I was under the impression that all white bristle Kents were the same and that the black bristle brushes were the softer ones.

Mine is very stiff and took a week or so to get used to, but now I love the way it feels.

Kind of like how my Sonicare toothbrush started off tickling my gums so bad I could barely stand to use it. Got use to that too!:biggrin:

Check this out:

American solider, 1936, Manhasset

'Sometime in 1913, I brought a pair of Kent Military hairbrushes. These brushes remained with me until 1915 when I gave one brush to a brother officer. The remaining brush was kept in my musket bag, where it was grazed by a German bullet and had some of its bristles clipped!'

It accompanied me through the Civil War in Russia, received a prolonged bath in the Amur River. Then back to China where it was in a railway accident. The brush withstood the climate of the Philippines and also the termites. It saw the Straits Settlements, Siam and indo-China.

Now it is in this country. However, it has become more ancient, but no less honourable. Its bristles are very short, but it does duty in keeping my dog well brushed! But after 23 years, I feel it is time to replace it!'

*That*....is what I'm talking about!!!

B R A N D X®;770569 said:
Yeah....I was basing that on the price listed on Kent's website in BPS. I ran the conversion but came up with the wrong number. When you click the US flag you get a price of $30.45, but that's before shipping....and.....they list it as Out Of Stock.

You don't want the softer bristles, but I was under the impression that all white bristle Kents were the same and that the black bristle brushes were the softer ones.

Mine is very stiff and took a week or so to get used to, but now I love the way it feels.

Kind of like how my Sonicare toothbrush started off tickling my gums so bad I could barely stand to use it. Got use to that too!:biggrin:

Check this out:

American solider, 1936, Manhasset

'Sometime in 1913, I brought a pair of Kent Military hairbrushes. These brushes remained with me until 1915 when I gave one brush to a brother officer. The remaining brush was kept in my musket bag, where it was grazed by a German bullet and had some of its bristles clipped!'

It accompanied me through the Civil War in Russia, received a prolonged bath in the Amur River. Then back to China where it was in a railway accident. The brush withstood the climate of the Philippines and also the termites. It saw the Straits Settlements, Siam and indo-China.

Now it is in this country. However, it has become more ancient, but no less honourable. Its bristles are very short, but it does duty in keeping my dog well brushed! But after 23 years, I feel it is time to replace it!'

*That*....is what I'm talking about!!!

Wow.. that's loyalty and quite the testomonial.

I was doing a little more research on the Kent Brushes before I purchase one and got a response on the Fedora Lounge... that you are supposed to use two different brushes simultaneously when your brushing your hair... ( for example the white bristle than the black bristle), has anyone heard this before??

Seems like I've seen old time pictures where men were holding 2 different brushes. Supposedly this helps to smooth it more and lay flatter and also impart more shine. Interesting!!!

I was doing a little more research on the Kent Brushes before I purchase one and got a response on the Fedora Lounge... that you are supposed to use two different brushes simultaneously when your brushing your hair... ( for example the white bristle than the black bristle), has anyone heard this before??

Seems like I've seen old time pictures where men were holding 2 different brushes. Supposedly this helps to smooth it more and lay flatter and also impart more shine. Interesting!!!

Interesting.....that's a new one on me. It makes sense though since the white bristles are the coarser of the two.

Top Bottom