What's new

Mickey Lee Soapworks - The Kraken

So after much delay thanks to the USPS, I finally received my order from MLS. I got the shave soap, the AS splash, and the balm.I have no self control so I always order the matching set when it's offered. I also never order samples because I like the surprise hahaha.

This is my first MLS order and I'm very pleased with it. First shave I used my Feather AC SS folder, Semogue 620. I'll skip all the adjectives but I love the scent and I had a fantastic irritation free shave. The scent is not what I was expecting, it smells very much like Coast bar soap, it even looks like it with White and Blue swirls. Well done.

The AS splash seems to have a ever so slightly different scent profile but nice alcohol content, great stuff.

The balm is the stand apart item for me. It comes in a jar instead of a squeeze bottle like many of my favorites (Stirling, PAA great balms). The texture is kind of whipped and fluffy sort of like Proraso post shave but even fluffier. In this case a little goes a loooooong way. I put on what I thought would be the right amount and it was wayyyy too much. Great stuff though, this is the type of balm that will keep you hydrated all day. I think I'm going to pick a few others from MLS...

MLS Kraken is one of top 10 all time scents. I absolutely love it! I have the soap and AS, it looks like based off what you said I need to buy the balm.

I would like to try it but there is sort of a stigma to it. Whenever I go use the bathroom I tell my wife I have to unleash the Kraken.

I just shaved with this soap for the first time. Very interesting scent. I smell the underlying barbershop scent. I agree with the Coast Soap comparison. It's like Coast with a creamy edge to it. Very refreshing and clean smelling.

Easy to lather. Beautiful thick, creamy lather with nice sheen and strong peaks. Great cushion. Slick but not as much residual slickness as Fine, Stirling, or even Soap Commander.

I like the soap a lot and I look forward to purchasing another Mickey Lee soap in the future.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
It's "Clean Bath," as opposed to Godrej, "Clean Industrial Bath."

Both are good stuff, but that tub of Kraken is 6x the size.

AA

MLS makes fantastic soaps. They are one of my favorite makers. I am currently traveling and I only brought 2 soaps with me. Jurate is one of them. Its a fantastic scent. The kraken was one of the first soaps I tried and honestly I use MLS quality of lather to determine if a new soap is worth buying. If the lather is not AT LEAST as good, then I usually don't purchase. MLS is top quality!!

MLS makes a good soap, and The Kraken is my favorite. The bath soap & shampoo bar smell just as good, but haven't been in stock for quite some time now. When they are available I'll be getting several of each.

Paradise Frost is another great one, citrus & menthol. Sadly it's been discontinued. If you can find it, give it a shot. I'll be happy to buy/trade if it's not to your liking.

MLS The Kraken is probably my favorite "Aquatic" or "Beach" scent. I know it doesn't really smell like either, but it smells like the beach if I was in one of those girly romantic novels. Is that Bad?

The Kraken is the only MLS soap I have, but it is a great one! I love the scent... Coast bar soap is a good description. The Kraken is easily one of my favourite soaps to use for both the scent and performance.

imcndn

So after much delay thanks to the USPS, I finally received my order from MLS. I got the shave soap, the AS splash, and the balm.I have no self control so I always order the matching set when it's offered. I also never order samples because I like the surprise hahaha.

This is my first MLS order and I'm very pleased with it. First shave I used my Feather AC SS folder, Semogue 620. I'll skip all the adjectives but I love the scent and I had a fantastic irritation free shave. The scent is not what I was expecting, it smells very much like Coast bar soap, it even looks like it with White and Blue swirls. Well done.

The AS splash seems to have a ever so slightly different scent profile but nice alcohol content, great stuff.

The balm is the stand apart item for me. It comes in a jar instead of a squeeze bottle like many of my favorites (Stirling, PAA great balms). The texture is kind of whipped and fluffy sort of like Proraso post shave but even fluffier. In this case a little goes a loooooong way. I put on what I thought would be the right amount and it was wayyyy too much. Great stuff though, this is the type of balm that will keep you hydrated all day. I think I'm going to pick a few others from MLS...
Just ordered some last Friday. I love their Grand Havana A.S.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I got kraken after reading that it was a barbershop scent. To me it is not and I was disappointed in it. YMMV but it seems like a canoe scent. Ive used it maybe twice and don't love it

I'm adding my opinion on this soap here not to poo-poo the many positive reviews, but to add a critical review for balance. Based on these reviews, I almost ordered the full size of the Kraken soap. Instead, I went for a sample as part of the "Sea Shaving Soap Sampler" from WCS, and I'm glad I did.

The lather is really good. The scent however, to me is best characterized as "dryer sheets." It's artificial and intensely "soapy." I can't detect any hint of anything that I would associate with sea, ocean or seafaring romantic in this soap.

Top Bottom