What's new

Martin de Candre

So i sprung for a bowl of Martin de Candre, very expensive. Not much lather. For a few days, I went back to some old bowls, Mandarino something, and SoCal Hipster. Much better lather, good smells. I guess it's good to rotate.
Jack

With a new 200g jar of MDC, what I do is to scrape a bit from the middle using a teaspoon to create a modest pocket.
This allows for a bit of room to both bloom the soap for initial uses plus makes some space to lather from the jar.

When I first got samples of it, I had a little trouble getting the lather right scooping out of the sample jar, mostly because I don't usually load soaps that way. But loading the brush off a full sized jar always yields a ton of lather for me, the challenge is knowing when to quit.

I'm completely befuddled by this. MdC is the easiest lathering soap ever made. I typically load a damp brush for 10 seconds and end up with a bowl of lather yielding 3 passes and then some. How are you lathering?

Total agreement. I bowl lather and both MdC and Canada are by far and away the easiest soaps to lather. I swear they lather just staring at them.

I can confirm what others have already mentioned: MdC lathers like it's being paid to do so.

However, when I first tried MdC, I was mildly disappointed. Despite reading tons of reviews praising its ease of lathering, I didn't load the soap enough. I couldn't believe how little lather I got, and the shave was subpar compared to many cheaper alternatives.

Now, I rarely pick anything else but MdC. I load for 10 seconds into a bowl and continue to swirl around for another 20 seconds. Then, I have the most slick and smooth lather, which gives me an almost guaranteed great shave every time.

My advice would be to experiment with the loading times and spend some time finding the right lather consistency you like. I'm sure your experience with MdC will improve

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I'm completely befuddled by this. MdC is the easiest lathering soap ever made. I typically load a damp brush for 10 seconds and end up with a bowl of lather yielding 3 passes and then some. How are you lathering?
MdC has been my go to soap for quite a few years now. I've never experienced any difficulty with a new jar of soap. I load a damp brush for 4-5 seconds, but that is a useless number unless you use my brush and my water - and my lightening speed on the puck.

I have used no soaps that load as easily as MdC. CCS and SV are close. I will say that no matter how many hundreds of times I've used it, when I first spread the soap on my face it always looks like too little soap. Then I add water and make too much lather.

Top Bottom