What's new

Making my own shaving soap puck

Ive just had somebody give me 600g of coconut oil so i was tossing up on cream or a soap puck...decided a soap puck...any recipes with coconut oil thats been tested ? Also any advice as ive never worked with coconut oil before

A couple items i dont have ill just buy the rest next week not expensive ill give it a try...yes i have soap making experience with bars of soaps its very very close to making a loaf but one or two ingredients i havnt used yet ...will be interesting...as far as scent goes...peppermint maybe....orrrrrrr lime....orrrrrr peppermint and limes...i think i even have french lavender oil somewhere

You will find two schools of thought regarding Coconut oil. One is that you should limit the amount in your recipe to a smaller amount (usually 9-10%), the other that it is used in a very high amount.
The famed Martin De Candre soap is made with about 48% coconut oil and 52% stearic acid (with plenty of glycerin added to keep the high concentration of coconut oil from being to drying)
Williams Mug soap (one of the higher tallow soaps) is only estimated to have only 9% coconut oil with tallow being 70-75% and stearic acid being the rest.
I think most gents who attempt a basic coconut oil and stearic acid soap made with Potassium Hydroxide get decent results. You can play with the amount of water used (i use 34% for a pretty firm soap) to get different textures and firmness.

I'm planning to try this one at some point, not in a hurry though:

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Get some stearic and try some of the MdC clone recipes (52% stearic, 48% coconut). I added ~13%-15% glycerine and let soapcalc tell you how much KOH. It's a really simple recipe and makes a great shave soap. I also added some lanolin to mine.

Maybe we could lobby for a shave soap/cream making sub-forum. From the article on Silver fox crafts, it sounds like there are at least a few folks here doing so. I haven't looked, but wonder if there's much available information regarding the making of shave soap.

Mark

Too much coconut oil makes for a fluffy and drying lather.
The Silver Fox recipe is pretty darned good. You could start with that.

Hi All,

I have been wet shaving for about 5 years now and am really keen to make my own soap.

Could anyone give me a few pointers on where and how to get started and clue myself up on the things I should know and supplies I should have before I can get soap making?

Thanks!

I'm afraid that is not possible with the modern Williams ingredient list. Sodium stearate is listed first and must be the greatest ingredient.
Williams Mug Shaving Soap
I meant to say the "original" or Tallow first version of Williams mug soap... the one folks regard as a favorite among tallow soaps. However, since Combe swears they have not changed formulas despite the changes in labeling (from tallow first to sodium stearate or steric acid first) we are left to reconcile the label order ourselves. It IS worth saying, there is no law requiring soaps to list ingredients in order of decreasing concentrations...although we all assume/trust it to be standard practice.

I meant to say the "original" or Tallow first version of Williams mug soap... the one folks regard as a favorite among tallow soaps. However, since Combe swears they have not changed formulas despite the changes in labeling (from tallow first to sodium stearate or steric acid first) we are left to reconcile the label order ourselves. It IS worth saying, there is no law requiring soaps to list ingredients in order of decreasing concentrations...although we all assume/trust it to be standard practice.

Thank you for the clarification about Williams.

I am going to have to disagree with you about the US ingredient labeling requirements. By my reading of the FDA web site, shaving soaps and creams are considered cosmetics.
Cosmetic Product Category Codes

As cosmetics they should fall under stricter labeling requiremets as outlined here:
Cosmetic Labeling Guide

Also, I am neither a lawyer nor a soap maker. This is just my layman's interpretation. If we have anyone with specific knowledge in the matter I would welcome the input.

Last edited:
Thank you for the clarification about Williams.

I am going to have to disagree with you about the US ingredient labeling requirements. By my reading of the FDA web site, shaving soaps and creams are considered cosmetics.
Cosmetic Product Category Codes

As cosmetics they should fall under stricter labeling requiremets as outlined here:
Cosmetic Labeling Guide

Also, I am neither a lawyer nor a soap maker. This is just my layman's interpretation. If we have anyone with specific knowledge in the matter I would welcome the input.

You are correct. "Soap" is not covered by the FDA but as soon as you add something descriptive like "Shaving Soap" or "Moisturizing Soap" then it becomes a cosmetic and is then governed by the FDA and as such, must comply to FDA rules and regulations. All ingredients should be listed in descending order and any order is acceptable below 1%. Most products follow this rule whether they are required to or not anyway. These laws were not in place when Williams was new in 1840 so it makes sense that the order listed now is different than the original listings.

Last edited:
Top Bottom