What's new

Looking for Surgical Grade Aloe Vera

Any more info you can share? Never heard of it. I use plain ol' Aloe Vera gel as an aftershave balm sometimes. It's basically aloe and a preservative or so. What makes a surgical grade different?

This would be for treating folliculitis .
Just looking for the most efficacious aloe vera ; " medical " grade vs. cosmetic .
I'm throwing every lotion and potion at it .
So far , looks like best results is with diluted hydrogen peroxide 3% .
I may go behind enemy lines and drop a turmeric bomb !

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
This works for myself, not sure if you have come across it. I use it in my pre-shave after I bush wash my whole face, just use a small dollop of it and smear it over my wet face and lather right over it(a bottle lasts a long time for just shaving). I buy mine at Walmart!
Z-preshave Aloe Vera gel (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Not that it's medical or surgical grade, but there are a number of Witch Hazels with Aloe that might give you some relief. Thayers, Stirling, Dickinson's are three that come to mind.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Look at the Dermoia brand. A lot of their products contain pure AloeVera plus Manuka Honey. Both have proven antibacterial properties. We used Manuka honey on surgical wounds and skin ulcers with good results. Almost all Folliculitis is caused by a Staph infection although there are other, less common, causes. Do you know what’s causing your condition?

... retreated , only to stage a fierce counterattack !
4% BP may be irritating rather than healing .
So I switched tactics and carpet balmed with NeoSporin .

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
... retreated , only to stage a fierce counterattack !
4% BP may be irritating rather than healing .
So I switched tactics and carpet balmed with NeoSporin .
Both BP and NeoSporin can cause skin reactions. NeoSporin isn’t used anymore in medicine because it can cause skin ulcers. Sounds like it’s time to see the doctor. If you have an MRSA infection, nothing is going to get rid of it without heavy hitting antibiotics. Where is your folliculitis located and how severe is it?

Both BP and NeoSporin can cause skin reactions. NeoSporin isn’t used anymore in medicine because it can cause skin ulcers. Sounds like it’s time to see the doctor. If you have an MRSA infection, nothing is going to get rid of it without heavy hitting antibiotics. Where is your folliculitis located and how severe is it?
Thanks for the info .
I have a doc appointment upcoming .

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I picked up an MRSA infection from a coworker years ago.... I took several weeks off work until I got the all clear. When I returned to work... that's when he told me.. he and his wife had been re-infecting each other over and over with it... and he continued to work. His main job was getting all the labels prepared for the products we were shipping... so all of us came in direct contact with what he was touching. Several of us got it... Thankfully, it was treatable, unlike some of the varieties.

He transferred to a different location right after that, which was a relief.

Edit: my doctor also prescribed a nasal antibiotic. He said.. that's usually where things go wrong. The pills work... but the Staph stays hidden in the nasal passages... and you re-infect yourself.

Top Bottom