What's new

Long term storage of zamac razors

I got into safety razor shaving a few months ago. Really loving the Dovo Primo. I want to get a backup razor, for when my current one isn’t good any more. This may be several years or even ten years. what is the best way to store a chrome plated zamac razor for long term storage? to avoid chipping and corrosion of the plating. i want to avoid moisture I know. what else though? should it be coated in oil?

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Zamack razors are known to fall apart due to moisture. It really makes you wonder who's bright idea it was, to invent a razor made out of a material that falls apart the easiest, when brought in contact with water. All it takes is a slight nick to the chromium plating, and there goes the razor.

Having said that, IMO, considering that you are going to be storing it for years of non use, this is what I would do. Get yourself a razor storage case, take the razor apart, and store the individual pieces of it inside the case. Then, get yourself pack of those desicant moisture absorbing things and stick two of them in there, and close the case.

Store the case itself in a dry place away from the sun, a closet works good. This, IMO, is the best way to make sure that your Zamack razor lasts years in storage, but thats just my opinion, YMMV.

As long as you don't - drop it, overtighten the handle to the head, clean it after each shave and then keep it away from moisture, then your razor will definitely live longer and maybe it might outlive you. What usually happens is that people either drop their razor and the top cap thread breaks or the thread just corrodes away. With some razors like Merkur Futur or the discontinued Merkur Vision, the razor might start rotting from the inside out.

Despite the fact that I don't like zamak razors, I do own a quite a few, because I've bought them very cheap or because they were gifted to me. I don't think I would spend more than $30-$40 on a zamak razor, unless it's something truly special and unique.

If it's a 3 piece, disassemble it to dry.

Wrap the parts in paper towel, put in a box and hope you remember where you stored it in 30y.

Do you have a vacuum sealer? I would think that sealed up with or without a desiccant pack it would last a very long time.

I had a neighbor that wanted to keep a large sum of cash on hand, at his house, for emergencies. He was looking for a way to store it under the house in the crawl space. I mentioned using a vacuum sealer. Fast forward a few years and he suddenly passed away.

He had given his son instructions on how to find the cash if he wasn't here. Since the time I suggested the vacuum sealer there had been a few winters with heavy rain and some mud had flowed into the crawl space. After he passed away his son dug out the excess dirt in the crawl space, followed the map, and dug up the pirates booty. It was still sealed up and fresh and crisp as the day he buried it.

IMG_5588.jpeg

Last edited:
Plating is your protection here. If your plating is intact, the zinc alloy will be fine indefinitely. As others said, remove the blade and stick it in a dry place. I personally wouldn't go crazy with all the vacuum sealing and desiccants, but it probably won't hurt. Clean it, dry it, and stick it in a box.

Plating is your protection here. If your plating is intact, the zinc alloy will be fine indefinitely. As others said, remove the blade and stick it in a dry place. I personally wouldn't go crazy with all the vacuum sealing and desiccants, but it probably won't hurt. Clean it, dry it, and stick it in a box.
Why does Zamac deteriorate? Does it react with water and corrode? Maybe there're different alloys of Zamac, but I've had more than a few electric guitars with Zamac bridges and never had a problem with them deteriorating.

Why does Zamac deteriorate? Does it react with water and corrode? Maybe there're different alloys of Zamac, but I've had more than a few electric guitars with Zamac bridges and never had a problem with them deteriorating.

Most zinc alloys these days don't deteriorate to my understanding. Impurities in the alloy can cause zinc rot and this used to be a big problem, but it's mostly resolved. The plating is just another layer of protection.

I have a Dovo Prime II and will say it has one of if not the best plating finishes I have seen on any razor. This will certainly help the longevity against corrosion along with the brass handle mating with the top cap screw. Muhle has pretty much done the same thing with good plating and a brass top cap screw.

Even though I like efficient/aggressive razors, the Dovo feels mild but gives a very efficient shave. I really like this razor.

I have a Dovo Prime II and will say it has one of if not the best plating finishes I have seen on any razor. This will certainly help the longevity against corrosion along with the brass handle mating with the top cap screw. Muhle has pretty much done the same thing with good plating and a brass top cap screw.

Even though I like efficient/aggressive razors, the Dovo feels mild but gives a very efficient shave. I really like this razor.
agree!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I use these to store blade tucks, razors, razor spare parts, stands, etc.... All things shaving. Without the dividers, they are great for razor tucks... with the dividers, you can store razors safely. And they are stackable... I keep them in our walk-in closet on top of a few storage boxes we have in there... so they are easily accessible and I don't like bending over all that much these days. <eg>

I have no idea why Walmart comes up with a link that says "robot or human"... but it takes you to thin fishing lure tackle boxes made with Zerust polymer that prevents rust. The actual name is Flambeau Outdoors, Tuff Tainer Utlity Tackle Box with Zerust, 5007, Large, Plastic

Last edited:
Top Bottom