What's new

Local Antique Find!! Not Bad at all

Well, I've nothing against Capitalism or profit. OTOH, I've nothing against good deals either! You won't find a lot of Fat Cats selling razors o neBay I doubt, but whichever, the antique dealers often buy them for pennies (a lot come from Estate Sales). So selling cheap still seems like a great margin to them, and if they don't do their homework to learn about these (there are so many different things for them to learn, really can't become expert in all), then they sacrifice potential profit. But as long as they're happy, the buyer's happy, who cares?

Same really with eBay. Some there know razors, others don't. I've bought from both. I've bought for pennies, and paid hundreds. I'm happy with nearly all purchases (the few I'm not weren't the high dollar ones).

And yes, Detroit :thumbup1:. Now where was that Windsor Yellow pages.... :biggrin: Kidding! I still have tons of small town antique places around here to check out!

Where I live in NC there are quite a few antique stores and I can't wait to get home from Iraq to go shopping and find the stuff many out there are finding in the antique stores. Maybe I can get a haul like you did. I am jealous. Well done.

Where I live in NC there are quite a few antique stores and I can't wait to get home from Iraq to go shopping and find the stuff many out there are finding in the antique stores. Maybe I can get a haul like you did. I am jealous. Well done.

Many seem to have better luck in the smaller towns and cities for whatever reason (traffic?). But give any you can a try (estate sales can be good too, even better pricing, but a lot of leg work with often no joy).

Stay safe (thank God the heat is about over!), come home soon, and thanks for your service!

proxy.php

Sledgehammer39 said:
Gillette Brass (NOT SURE WHAT THIS ONE WOULD BE)

Just noticed this from the top of the page. That's a NEW with the ball end handle (those handles were also used on the Old Type, and are prone to small cracks in tube). It's the long comb version. They were produced through the 1930's.

A few weeks ago, someone in Australia had a '48 British Aristocrat with those same numbers in a tatty box for sale on the bay. The picture was terrible and fuzzy and the seller obviously had no clue of what they had. I believe it was a rhodium finish. They had some ridiculously low starting bid and I think they even misspelled Gillette. I thought my ship had come in on that one until the last 10 seconds when the bids went from $30 to $135. Bummer. I'll bet the seller freaked out on that one though.

Just noticed this from the top of the page. That's a NEW with the ball end handle (those handles were also used on the Old Type, and are prone to small cracks in tube). It's the long comb version. They were produced through the 1930's.

Hey T Rick... I took a closer look at that Gillette and you are correct I do see a small crack in the tube near the base of the shaft near the ball-end.. I am not really into brass colored razors anyway.. I might just scrap it..

Hey T Rick... I took a closer look at that Gillette and you are correct I do see a small crack in the tube near the base of the shaft near the ball-end.. I am not really into brass colored razors anyway.. I might just scrap it..

Scrap it?? That thing is over 70 years old, still shaves great! No need to scrap it. Sell it, or if you prefer, give it away to someone here on the Forum! Make great starter razor PIF'd to a noob, or just to someone who hasn't had the chance to try one.

BTW, the cracks can be dealt with. First, yours is on the ball end, which means the razor will not fall apart in use. If they're really loose or on the head end and pose a danger of the head coming off in use, one option is to epoxy them together. Works great so I hear.

Another Member here, Buddydog, is a Jeweler who restores and replates razors (gold is generally proper for these, and they look great). He can fix the crack too. Of course it's no longer an ultra cheap bargain then. I just shined mine (bar handle version) so it's shiny brass on the handle and the cap is copper. Looks good, shaves great!

Scrap it?? That thing is over 70 years old, still shaves great! No need to scrap it. Sell it, or if you prefer, give it away to someone here on the Forum! Make great starter razor PIF'd to a noob, or just to someone who hasn't had the chance to try one.

BTW, the cracks can be dealt with. First, yours is on the ball end, which means the razor will not fall apart in use. If they're really loose or on the head end and pose a danger of the head coming off in use, one option is to epoxy them together. Works great so I hear.

Another Member here, Buddydog, is a Jeweler who restores and replates razors (gold is generally proper for these, and they look great). He can fix the crack too. Of course it's no longer an ultra cheap bargain then. I just shined mine (bar handle version) so it's shiny brass on the handle and the cap is copper. Looks good, shaves great!

OK OK OK.. I am not gonna scrap it.. I might just give it away..:blink:

Top Bottom