What's new

Liven up this forum

What other nation would leave 1/2 of it's coat of arms lying rotting on the ground due to laws about how to use it legally?:blushing:

edit:
actually, make that both halves. Double the shame.

My nation would! Next time you see an American McDonalds, look at the trash can. You'll see half of every burger imaginable just thrown away and decomposing.

Wait... The grease-burger is my nation's symbol... Right? :lol:

Alright, so I am curious about the denim. How does it compare to other linen/cloth strops? Do you use any pastes or such with it, or just plain? (I like the idea of denim as it is so easy to get my hands on :thumbup1: )

So far, I think this thread is great and looking forward to reading more of it.

Alright, so I am curious about the denim. How does it compare to other linen/cloth strops? Do you use any pastes or such with it, or just plain? (I like the idea of denim as it is so easy to get my hands on :thumbup1: )

So far, I think this thread is great and looking forward to reading more of it.

Well, Denim is a bit of a challenge to get right, but it makes a great surface... The best thing you can do is use very thick denim. I used a pair of women's jeans that were destined for the bin. Turns out that the denim I used was quite thin, and very stretchy. As such, it's not the best for stropping from a practicality standpoint (the results are still fine, the material is just problematic.) That's the reason I have it backed with thick paper, which I taped on... It keeps the denim from stretching and from curling in at the edges. If you use good, thick denim then you'll be absolutely fine...

Comparative to other fabrics, I'd give denim an 8/10. It's not my favorite, but it's very good on the edge, and works very well... It can also be found damn-near anywhere.

I know some people put very fine abrasives in Denim and use it once a week... I personally use mine plain (however, a great thing to load denim with is generic sidewalk chalk. Very fine, very smooth, minutely abrasive.

Cheers,
Jeremy

Do you know any history on Monark razor strop co.. I'd kinda like to know stuff like how and when they were made.

Jeremy,
Here's one for ya...
I've read a bit in old barber's texts about strop treatments, (particularily linen) in regards to loading the strop with beeswax or soap, and also to sanding the linen to create some more smoothness, and I'm tempted to give it a try.

Have you done much experimenting with linen/cotton components?

I've done some experiments, but none of those... I personally don't like to make my linen softer, I like to have it be a rough material (or to have "character"... Think of SRD's poly web, or Tony's raw linen, they're rough in feedback, but smooth on the razor, they'll thoroughly clean an edge, but won't damage the micro edge. That's what I'm talking about) and so sanding them would probably just fluff them up, or make them weaker...

However, I have tried using soot/ash in my strop once. I can't remember the exact characteristics (it was a certain kind of wood... There's a thread giving more details over at SRP by AFDavis, that's where I got this idea). After honing, I loaded the fabric with soot, then used that as the pasted post-hone strop, followed by dusting it off so it was very finely coated, and using that every few shaves... The results were fantastic, but it wasn't a stellar enough improvement (in my books) to do it on a regular basis...

Otherwise, No, I have not played with beeswax, soap or sanding (on fabrics), sorry

Top Bottom