What's new

Let's Talk Containers!

I received my first Stirling container this week. It is definitely a nice container (best quality I've seen so far) but I have to say, for me, the geometry of the Soap Commander containers is ideal. I think these are my second favorite though. The soap that came in it is also nice :) Fun thread!

Wow. I can't believe an old thread like this and all these posts and nobody's mentioned the Ikea "Grundtal" containers. $8 bucks buys three 4" stainless screw top containers with clear plastic see-through lids. I make my own labels to fit from the inside for a custom touch. Fill the container about half way or a little better and you'll have room for great lather development. I'll have to post up some pics when I get home.

GRUNDTAL Container - IKEA

-Kesto

Wow. I can't believe an old thread like this and all these posts and nobody's mentioned the Ikea "Grundtal" containers. $8 bucks buys three 4" stainless screw top containers with clear plastic see-through lids. I make my own labels to fit from the inside for a custom touch. Fill the container about half way or a little better and you'll have room for great lather development. I'll have to post up some pics when I get home.

GRUNDTAL Container - IKEA

-Kesto
Nice

A couple of quick and dirty shots of the Grundtal containers from Ikea. Beg, borrow or steal the label images and print them out on photo paper in an 8.9cm circle. Cut them out and tape them (picture side facing out) inside the lid with HVAC aluminum tape to protect from moisture. Trim the tape to about 2mm larger than the photo label and carefully press it face up into the lid, sealing the tape around the edges. Turn it over and admire your work! It'll last for years, or until you peel it apart. The containers come with a magnet stuck outside on the bottom which I pop off with a small screwdriver (only held on with double sided tape). They stack better without the magnets on the bottom.
Grundtal1.jpg
Grundtal2.jpg

They're sold in packages of three (for only $8.00!) and I have, well, a bunch.

-Kesto

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
proxy.php

These, glass bowls with lids, from Anchor Hocking. I like glass, rather than plastic, so I can microwave any glycerine-based soaps to fit perfectly. (About 10 seconds on "high" will get it done. Do NOT ... repeat, NOT ... microwave triple-milled soaps ... but these ones usually fit right in perfectly anyhow.)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
A couple of quick and dirty shots of the Grundtal containers from Ikea. Beg, borrow or steal the label images and print them out on photo paper in an 8.9cm circle. Cut them out and tape them (picture side facing out) inside the lid with HVAC aluminum tape to protect from moisture. Trim the tape to about 2mm larger than the photo label and carefully press it face up into the lid, sealing the tape around the edges. Turn it over and admire your work! It'll last for years, or until you peel it apart. The containers come with a magnet stuck outside on the bottom which I pop off with a small screwdriver (only held on with double sided tape). They stack better without the magnets on the bottom.
View attachment 764746 View attachment 764747

-Kesto

Very nice!

View attachment 764746 View attachment 764747

-Kesto

Used them in the past, didn't like the specks of rust. Soap and water are like seasalt and water, you would need marinegrade stainless steel. Seems Ikea didn't take this into account.
Discolouration of the soap is harmless to be sure, just didn't like the look of it.

I can't quite get on-board with spending a ton of extra money to get a brand-specific bowl/container with your soap. Example: MWF refill puck is $15, in the dish is $20 more. I've got cheap coffee mugs a-plenty.
That said, I can get on-board for spending money on something purely for the attractiveness of it. If you like it, what the heck, go for it. My inner tight-wad often battles with my urge to live luxuriously. That nice Tabac bowl is only a few dollars more, though, now that you mention it...

I have noticed that some folks on here use those shallow Pyrex dishes with the nice tight-fitting lids to store their pucks. I have considered switching from mugs to those, to keep things tidy and easy to store.

The Proraso containers are nearly perfect, to me. There's enough headspace in the container to load the brush without being messy, the shape of the container is easy to hold while loading brush, and the lid fits on snugly. It may or may not be the prettiest tub in your collection, but it is a good practical design.
So, it is cheaper to get the MWF and Tabac in the designated bowls if you order from the right place. I bought MWF in the bowl from Connaught and had it shipped to the US for less than $20. They have a free shipping threshold to ship stateside. Their rate for shipping is very reasonable if you don’t want to spend up to the free shipping threshold. I was pleased because everywhere I see it here in the US is $38 plus shipping.

Milky glass Tabac ...
Great for a lot of different pucks or refills.

Even Ogallala pucks fit so good into them.

Top Bottom