What's new

Let the buyer be...observant

Finding vintage razors at antique stores and similar places is a lot of fun, but I've noticed two types of sellers in the typical antique mall.

The first is just somebody selling antiques. They'll have one or two razors, maybe a mug. The second type is...one of "us". An enthusiast. Their display or booth or cubicle will have multiple razors, and probably brushes and other things. And while discovering one of "us" like that is always exciting, you should inspect whatever it is you're buying thoroughly. Because sometimes you have to ask, "Why is this guy selling this?"
20240510_142325~2.jpg

It wasn't until after I got this home that I figured out why the vendor let this Slim go. That circled shiny bit there is a burr caused by an impact. And you can feel it on your skin.
20240510_142519.jpg

I'm going to try to smooth it out with an Arkansas stone, but had I been more observant at the mall, I would've passed.

That's unfortunate! I hope you can smooth it out. But the downside to that is it will take some of the plating off. Excellent advice though, inspect the item before you buy. When I'm buying online I usually ask for more pictures so I can better determine the condition of the razor. If the seller won't send more pictures, I won't buy.

eBay can be difficult considering buyers and sellers that may not know the product. I briefly debated pointing out the bend to the seller to try to get a deal but decided against it. I suspect based on the lack of bids the buyer may not be too happy. Notice how the door engages the safety bar to open and the gap.
IMG_3648.png

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts
Sorry to hear about the burr. You should be able to smooth that out and then have it replated if necessary, and then the razor will be amazing.

Top Bottom