What's new

Le Grelot 1/4 - RasurPur

Samouraï;1424633 said:
I want another one. How much do vintage Le Grelots go for?

Oh, and also, I am having one issue: some water spots/early rust spots. I have been oiling it after every shave, but it is still having issues. Maybe they were there before. I have two other razors that aren't having any issues and aren't nearly as pampered.

I have found that to keep spots off my Le Grelot
  1. Rinse with hot water then wipe and leave open on a towel while I clean up.
  2. Blow out the scales
  3. Apply some kind of mineral oil. I use Ballistol with a Japanese applicator. The link is just to show the applicator. I have seen them elsewhere and they are excellent because they keep your fingers away from the blade and work very well

http://www.japanwoodworker.com/product.asp?s=JapanWoodworker&pf_id=15.574.60&dept_id=22889

I find any little water spots come off with 0.25 or 0.5 diamond pastes on a rag or Q-tip just before honing if I wish to rub them off.

I now do this to all razor that I have,including a stainless, it just saves grief in the long run.

Take Care,
Richard

Last edited:
I have found that to keep spots off my Le Grelot
  1. Rinse with hot water then wipe and leave open on a towel while I clean up.
  2. Blow out the scales
  3. Apply some kind of mineral oil. I use Ballistol with a Japanese applicator. The link is just to show the applicator. I have seen them elsewhere and they are excellent because they keep your fingers away from the blade and work very well

http://www.japanwoodworker.com/product.asp?s=JapanWoodworker&pf_id=15.574.60&dept_id=22889

I find any little water spots come off with 0.25 or 0.5 diamond pastes on a rag or Q-tip just before honing if I wish to rub them off.

I now do this to all razor that I have,including a stainless, it just saves grief in the long run.

Take Care,
Richard

I might have to get some diamond paste then. I blow out the scales and all of that other stuff, but I can't keep it from getting those spots. I am at least glad to see that others are having issues.

Ambrose, I am pampering all of my razors (that W&B) don't worry :wink:

Sounds like you take great care of your stuff Richard. Im only worried this thread is enabling me to get another le grelot. :rolleyes:

Sounds like you take great care of your stuff Richard. Im only worried this thread is enabling me to get another le grelot. :rolleyes:

I had been using a straight for about 9 months when the Le Grelot hit town, as it were. The B&B razor was a Le Grelot and when I shaved with it a couple of weeks.....I thought that the razor was special enough that I bought another in case something happened to the one that I had.:biggrin: They are really all that I shave with. I have been unfaithful :wink: and bought others but the twins always call me back. I am weak that way....:001_rolle

Case in point about protecting the blade, is that the oil keeps the blade protected. Once it is in your routine it really takes hardly any extra time.

Take Care,
Richard

Really? Oh, man....

Do you recall the pleasure you received at some of the "firsts" in your life?" First car, kiss, oreo...the list could go on.

Shaving with a 1/4 Le Grelot fits in with those but never loses the magic of the first shave, shave after shave.

Oooooohhhhh First Le Grelot....

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Sweet and thanks Martin

Cheers

Last edited:
I have got to stop reading this thread: "Must resist buying Grelot 1/4 grind!" "Must surpress 'hate" for and extreme jealously of those that have bought one!" <g>

The pouch the razor comes with acts as a vapor barrior keeping moisture out and in. Be careful to soak up those pesky hiding droplets before you stash your razor until tomorrow. I got one dot of oxidation on my blade because I was lazy and not paying attention. I am much more careful now.

I have got to stop reading this thread: "Must resist buying Grelot 1/4 grind!" "Must surpress 'hate" for and extreme jealously of those that have bought one!" <g>
I'm doing my best to resist the urge. I'm in no position to drop €115 on a razor, but I'm soooooo close to pushing that button. I'm sure I'll cave here soon. :lol:

This looks like an amazing razor; I know it would totally be worth it.

it seems like the le grelots are sold out at rasurpur.
Thiers Issard itself made the official statement :

Offizielle Verlautbarung von Thiers Issard
Die 1/4 hohlen Le Grelots sind ausverkauft und es befinden sich keine mehr in der Fabrik.
quote from rasurpur

translation:
Official statement from TI
The 1/4 grind Le grelots have been sold out and there are none left in the factory.

I am one of the sorry guys that didn´t buy one

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
It is. After fine-tuning it, this morning shave was great in every way.

:biggrin:

... glad to hear you like yours, Leon. I seem to remember you weren't too happy with it when it first arrived, so I'm glad it worked out. :thumbup1:

... glad to hear you like yours, Leon. I seem to remember you weren't too happy with it when it first arrived, so I'm glad it worked out. :thumbup1:

Yeah, it needed some fine tunning only.
I wasn't too happy not with its performance, but with its looks - warped scales, tiny spine wear, etc. But it sure shaves great.

Top Bottom