What's new

Lapping film, try it.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
What is the advantage to the scratch patterns on the Jnat? Is it just a means for edge integrity under a loupe or microscope?

I've never shaved off a Jnat edge, so I'm not really sure I understand.

It's more an aspect of how the edge feels in conjunction with the sharpness off the stone. It's a huge YMMV thing, but I prefer a natural edge vs a synthetic edge, and the Jnat gives edges keener than say, a coticule.

You guys honing on submicron films likely get very keen edges already, so the only benefit going to a Jnat would be a possibly smoother edge and a lighter wallet. :smile:

Yes, this would be very interesting to see and something I've wondered about after reading many of the other threads.

I think the A4 has more substance, and is better. Newspaper may be too thin and disintegrate under there...

I guess I should have known, if I thought about it, that thicker paper would act differently than thin. I used thicker than normal paper a couple nights ago and the results were not good. This wasn't heavyweight paper like 90-pound card stock but it was heavier than standard legal pad stuff. Perhaps I also used too much pressure, but the final passes on the 1 micron film with the thicker paper definitely rounded the edges. Normally it works great, but I did four razors and all were much less sharp after the thicker paper polishing. Again, I'm sure I was using too much pressure as well given the resiliency of the paper. As in all things razor related, I'm still learning... :)

Just ordered all my gear too. DMT 1200, 3um and 1um from ThorLabs. Already made a balsa bench hone with crox. Gonna try a seatbelt pasted strop too (thanks paco). Pretty much set for life.

Thanks to everyone especial Seraphim for the great info on lapping film.

How much is the shipping from Thorlabs? I asked them about a year ago, and they said 30 euro for 2x10 pack of lapping film from München to Hungary...

Did I get a wrong price, or everyone else is OK with these prices? :)

The inventory guy at Thor Labs must be scratching his head wondering about the spike in lapping film sales.

:lol:

I just ordered some from a vendor here. I'm looking forward to trying these out. I have no doubt that they work brilliantly for basically nothing compared to buying hones, I'm more curious about the feel of the edge.

I also ordered some chopsticks and DE blades based on Seraphim's recommendations

5 minutes of scouring the dumpster at a granite/stone place about a mile from my house......

proxy.php

Now all I need is the films!

Had a bunch of razors that came in on Thursday so I decided to finish them on lapping film.

DMT, 4K/8K (with slurry) and then 9, 5, 3, 1, .3 lapping film. Went easy at first (10 laps on each). The results were good but they weren't ready. Went back and did 20 more on each film and they came out very nice.

Used a $1.87 piece of marble tile from the lumber yard. Cut it to 3" x 12" (or so) and mounted it on a 2 x 4 with epoxy. Did the wet paper under the film thing for the .3 film. Seemed to work fine. I agree that you have a nice feel when using the film. For the first time using them, I would say I had a success. I'll be interested in seeing how long the film lasts. I did eight razors - only used 1/3 of a sheet of each size and the pieces I used are fine - showing some dark but nothing serious.

They won't replace my basic stones - setting bevels or the initial work takes more horsepower.

Last edited:
Top Bottom