What's new

Lamy 2000 Ballpoint?? Thoughts?

I have a Fine FP, the Rollerball, AND EVEN THE MECHANICAL PENCIL!! So I guess I need to round out the collection, but they do use a very proprietary refill, just wondering how folks experience has been with them, the M16 I think....

They work well, oil-based ink that doesn’t smear, good flow, not much risk of them drying out since the are sold in a hermetically sealed pouch - just a bit hard to find in some areas.

The Lamy 2000 series is a classic :thumbup1: - and I admire Lamy for their innovative styling.

B.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I don't have one, but I hear they are out standing...for a ballpoint that is. I've also heard the proprietary Lamy refills are decent. Enjoy!

The proprietary refill is/could be a drawback depending on availability. If you easily can source it I highly recommend the pen. The 2000-series pens are a joy to use.

Huge Lamy fan across the board. Their stuff just works.

Having said that, their BALLPOINT M16 refill is super proprietary and not readily hackable v. their M63 Rollerball which can be hacked with most Parker/G2/Pentel Energel refill and a >2 mm spacer.

Solution 1- buy a quantity of Lamy refills when you buy the pen.

Solution 2- Buy the Monteverde brand refill that is engineered to be a replacement for the M16.

You work hard for the money. You want what you want. You are rounding out a set. Go for it.

Last edited:
You can get it to complete your collection… but it’s very “meh”.

If you see it for a great price, fine, but I wouldn’t really bother.

I have a Lamy 2000 ballpoint in my pocket as I write this post.

It is my favorite ballpoint and I have many. Besides being comfortable in the hand and writes well I also like that it clips easily in my shirt pocket but is still quite secure.

The medium point M16 refill does not write as wide of a line as many other medium cartridges and to me this is a good thing. Also, while a being a smooth writer, it does not skate over the paper. Some other brands have a tendency to get ahead of me (skate) when writing.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
The 2000 ball point is wonderful. (In part) The taper fits my hand perfectly. I’ve used it a lot such that it has a nice smooth finish yet is still got a nice texture. Very satisfying click. I am however frustrated with the refills. They are expensive. And be aware that they can and do dry out. I’ve had several dry and/or not work right or become intermittent. Which is also frustrating. For example it can go dry seemingly like it’s dead. Then the next day it works fine for awhile. Unpredictable. If memory serves the click roller ball refill is in the sealed silver package. The ball pen refills are on a paper card with a plastic bubble. Not air tight. I used to have a local shop who stocked refills but he’s closed. I had amassed a nice supply when he was in business and had a rude awakening when they dried out. When the refills are working the broad blue was my absolute favorite. That lays down a beautiful thick blue line. Unmatched in any other refills I’ve tried. It’s not messy and doesn’t leak like the bic crystal broad pen. Given my overall frustration with the refills I haven’t used that pen in awhile. The refills are costly and I could put up with that but the drying out was a pain. However all that rant aside I do still have a fondness for it. The pen itself is pretty reasonably priced and it’s nice to have the set too. I found some web info on conversations for refills but ended up getting distracted and didn’t pursue it.

Reactions: ike
Top Bottom