What's new

La Faulx by Atelier Durdan Pass Around…..

EB164E60-DD3A-483B-BE5E-241B87A99B95.jpeg
Second Shave
I love it!! I've only used it twice but I don't think I've ever seen such an impressive razor. If there's an end to my wet shaving, La Faulx will be with me.

I just ordered a Romulus on sale for $47 since it was my first order on Ali. If I like it as much as others do I think I’ll pick up this La Faulx in the near future. It interests me more then most razors based on all the rave reviews.

I just wish I’d have gotten to test the different plates in a pass around to know what to order. Shipping costs are crazy so I’d rather get the right plate on the first try. I think the + or ++ is what I’ll go for since I like the GC .84p, EJ 3one6, ATT R1 as far as aggression goes.

I have a bunch of GEM blades to, so the Vestige would also be great. This razor hobby is costly when your trying to find the best shave. Early on buying vintage and zamak razors wasn’t too bad. High end SS razors start to add up.

I just ordered a Romulus on sale for $47 since it was my first order on Ali. If I like it as much as others do I think I’ll pick up this La Faulx in the near future. It interests me more then most razors based on all the rave reviews.

I just wish I’d have gotten to test the different plates in a pass around to know what to order. Shipping costs are crazy so I’d rather get the right plate on the first try. I think the + or ++ is what I’ll go for since I like the GC .84p, EJ 3one6, ATT R1 as far as aggression goes.

I have a bunch of GEM blades to, so the Vestige would also be great. This razor hobby is costly when your trying to find the best shave. Early on buying vintage and zamak razors wasn’t too bad. High end SS razors start to add up.
Your thinking is correct. I purchased all plates (costly trial and error) and found the + and ++ to my liking. My favorite is ++. I can shave daily with it no problem. For reference my other daily drivers are Blackbird, Yates H, Stando Chors, ATT Windsor SMRH, Rocca, Athena, Ares, Lupo 95, etc.

The La Faulx is the best AC razor I’ve ever used. I may even like it better than most of my DE razors.

Your thinking is correct. I purchased all plates (costly trial and error) and found the + and ++ to my liking. My favorite is ++. I can shave daily with it no problem. For reference my other daily drivers are Blackbird, Yates H, Stando Chors, ATT Windsor SMRH, Rocca, Athena, Ares, Lupo 95, etc.

The La Faulx is the best AC razor I’ve ever used. I may even like it better than most of my DE razors.
Sadly the only razor I have from your list is the Lupo 95, but I’d love to try the rest out. The Lupo 95 is at the upper limits of what I’m comfortable with.

Did you also try the new +++ plate?

I’ve read a couple people say the classic felt better then the + because the gaps were about the same without anything changed except blade exposure. It’s made me wonder if I should grab the classic plate just to make sure it’s not smoother somehow since it was the original design? Otherwise I’d likely just buy plates + and ++ and hope I got it right. I imagine the +++ plate is a bit above what I’d like but I’m also afraid of getting the ++ and wanting the next step up.

It’s a shame shipping isn’t $15-20 at most. It really makes it cost prohibitive placing multiple orders. But if I really liked the La Faulx I’d consider buying a Vestige so I may place 2 orders anyways.

Any idea how often they run sales? Black Friday?

Good morning to all, I've been looking at this razor (La Faux) for somewhile now and have also read through this thread in it's entirety and I wondered if I could ask a question of you fellow shavers. Can anyone of you that has both the smooth comb and the grooved comb plates, please post a picture side by side of them both? Looking through the thread I think that most of the photos that have been posted are of the groomed comb plate, am I wrong here?

Edit: I haven't placed an order yet, as I recently put my name down for the second run of the Paradigm DB - but will do once this arrives.

Sadly the only razor I have from your list is the Lupo 95, but I’d love to try the rest out. The Lupo 95 is at the upper limits of what I’m comfortable with.

Did you also try the new +++ plate?

I’ve read a couple people say the classic felt better then the + because the gaps were about the same without anything changed except blade exposure. It’s made me wonder if I should grab the classic plate just to make sure it’s not smoother somehow since it was the original design? Otherwise I’d likely just buy plates + and ++ and hope I got it right. I imagine the +++ plate is a bit above what I’d like but I’m also afraid of getting the ++ and wanting the next step up.

It’s a shame shipping isn’t $15-20 at most. It really makes it cost prohibitive placing multiple orders. But if I really liked the La Faulx I’d consider buying a Vestige so I may place 2 orders anyways.

Any idea how often they run sales? Black Friday?
I have not tried the +++ and have no plans to do so. The ++ provides exactly what I’m after.

Now there is a difference in the Classic and + plates. The + has a tad more blade feel and a noticeable increase in efficiency. They are both super smooth. Even the ++ is still very smooth but with added blade feel.

Lots of folks here enjoy the Classic but for me it’s a 5 pass shave and buff session every time. It’s so easy on the skin I could probably do 10 passes without irritation. The + and more so the ++ give me the best overall experience.

I just ordered a + baseplate to go with my Classic. The La Faulx has become my Number One razor with the classic head, it may become untouchable with the + head. I may have to stop buying other razors!
Can one buy just the plate of this SE razor and combine it with a Yaqi Excalibur handle?

It's true the classic and + have almost the same gap but there is a slight bump in exposure.

La Faulx plates.png

I have only tried the classic on a pass around (no other plates were available) but the Vestige was smoother in the classic over the + and without question compared to the ++. Would imagine the same is true for La Faulx.

If ordering today I would get Vestige and La Faulx both in + (Vestige+ was very similar to classic in feel)

The classic La Faulx is very smooth. If your criteria is smoothness over efficiency get the classic.

It's true the classic and + have almost the same gap but there is a slight bump in exposure.

View attachment 1842731

I have only tried the classic on a pass around (no other plates were available) but the Vestige was smoother in the classic over the + and without question compared to the ++. Would imagine the same is true for La Faulx.

If ordering today I would get Vestige and La Faulx both in + (Vestige+ was very similar to classic in feel)

The classic La Faulx is very smooth. If your criteria is smoothness over efficiency get the classic.
I have the Classic plate and recently tried the ++ plate. I have only used the ++ once but I can say that it is every bit as smooth and comfortable as the Classic and much more efficient. I don't know why this is so, but it was an excellent shave with no irritation or blood. I have not tried the + plate.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I think I’ll keep an eye out for + and ++ base plates to show up on BST as people end up preferring one over the other. If they are in the States, shipping costs will be far less.

Top Bottom