What's new

Knot Depth

I'm new to DE shaving and am using what was my grandfathers shaving brush. I think it would be fun to get into forming my own brushes and have seen various threads regarding how to secure the knot, how to deal with hollow handles, wood types, and just about everything except how deep a knot should be within a handle. So, what is a good depth for a knot? Does a face lather require the knot to sit deeper into the handle?

The last brush I finished, I used a 20mm Finest Extra knot. I set the loft around 50mm. It was recessed about a 1/2 inch into the hole. I can lather with soaps, creams, and face lather with no problems.

Restoring an old brush is so easy. I am not very handy at all, and I was able to do this.

Go to "search" and type in "restore brush" and their are quite a few very good detailed threads to study.

I'm new to DE shaving and am using what was my grandfathers shaving brush. I think it would be fun to get into forming my own brushes and have seen various threads regarding how to secure the knot, how to deal with hollow handles, wood types, and just about everything except how deep a knot should be within a handle. So, what is a good depth for a knot? Does a face lather require the knot to sit deeper into the handle?

On a restore you are going to have to just see what the old handle will allow for loft. It the handle is hollow and the knot base will go into that hollow you can set the knot to just about anything you want. Add cork and epoxy to the base to establish a new "floor" in the handle then glue in the new knot.

On some old handles you will not have that luxury...and have to try to buy a knot that will result in the desired loft, or drill it deeper etc.

As to what is the "right" loft...that is personal choice. I like my brushes to have some backbone and go for short lofts....others like floppy mops.

I set the only one I have made...a 23mm knot at 46mm....a nice dense knot with backbone.

My read from most of the discussions here resulted in this general guide for me:

Short loft...44-48mm Good backbone, super for soaps---fine for creams, face lather. (harder to get into the bowl to lather).

Med loft 48-55mm Less scrubby, bowl and face lather, soaps and creams depending.

Long loft 55mm+ Going towards flop/mop, bowl lather primarily with creams or very soft soaps.

Last edited:
Top Bottom