What's new

Kayaking the back country

Thanks for sharing, Mike. I like the whimsy of the "pointless cairn," and love that old Coleman stove! Above all else, though, having an entire island (or whatever size) to oneself would be a wonderful way to enjoy a few days.

This looks like a great place. I said in another thread that last night was my second night at work and I am already looking for a place to go this fall. This looks like it has real potential. Were there many other people around?

Blake

I consider it to be a great place. It is open year round, but May 1st is the opening of fishing and the ice is almost always out by then. for the first few weeks in May it is crazy busy according to the rangers. June and July are high season for family camper types. I was there third week in June. Even with that, I arrived Sunday mid day and it was pretty deserted. Left Friday mid day and I didn't notice a big week end crowd yet. Campsites are free and there is no registration. there are 60 campsites first come first serve. 2 for handicapped, 20 with picnic tables and the rest without. all sites have fire rings and pit toilets. I would say that as I paddled around only 1 in 4 campsites were occupied. the rangers talk about firewood being picked over by the time I got there, but I don't think it is possible. even my small island had so much down timber on it, that I could have collected several cords of firewood and still been able to find more. If you like exploring and flat water paddling, I highly recommend the Turtle Flambeau.:wink:

Thanks for sharing, Mike. I like the whimsy of the "pointless cairn," and love that old Coleman stove! Above all else, though, having an entire island (or whatever size) to oneself would be a wonderful way to enjoy a few days.

Thanks Chad

You know,, it was nice having my own island. about 100 or so yards long and 75 yards wide. I know it's weird, but using that old coleman stove is very satisfying to me. It works like a champ.

I belong to the Song of the Paddle forum. Most of the members are UK paddlers and apparently they have certain areas that are plagued with pointless cairns. Traditionally a cairn would show the way or alert travelers to some significant feature. Unknown subjects have been errecting pointless cairns which serve to confuse and annoy many of the old timers. Since I live in an area where all the water ways have mud banks or shores, I had never been able to build a cairn. I did it on a whim for the UK members benefit. I probably chuckled at my joke a lot more than they did. :blushing:

I probably chuckled at my joke a lot more than they did. :blushing:

Well, I've enjoyed your cairn joke quite a bit (and quite inexplicably -- sometimes the smallest things are the source of the largest amusement)... and besides, now it's easier to find my way to the shave gear each morning. :wink:

Well, I've enjoyed your cairn joke quite a bit (and quite inexplicably -- sometimes the smallest things are the source of the largest amusement)... and besides, now it's easier to find my way to the shave gear each morning. :wink:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Blake

I consider it to be a great place. It is open year round, but May 1st is the opening of fishing and the ice is almost always out by then. for the first few weeks in May it is crazy busy according to the rangers. June and July are high season for family camper types. I was there third week in June. Even with that, I arrived Sunday mid day and it was pretty deserted. Left Friday mid day and I didn't notice a big week end crowd yet. Campsites are free and there is no registration. there are 60 campsites first come first serve. 2 for handicapped, 20 with picnic tables and the rest without. all sites have fire rings and pit toilets. I would say that as I paddled around only 1 in 4 campsites were occupied. the rangers talk about firewood being picked over by the time I got there, but I don't think it is possible. even my small island had so much down timber on it, that I could have collected several cords of firewood and still been able to find more. If you like exploring and flat water paddling, I highly recommend the Turtle Flambeau.:wink:

I was looking at this place on at work tonight. It looks incredible. The site said something about a "quiet area" but I didn't quite understand where it was. I found the lake in question, it just didn't make sense at 0330 in the morning. Out of curiosity, what camp site number did you stay at?

I was looking at this place on at work tonight. It looks incredible. The site said something about a "quiet area" but I didn't quite understand where it was. I found the lake in question, it just didn't make sense at 0330 in the morning. Out of curiosity, what camp site number did you stay at?

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/facilities/turtleflambeau/documents/2009Turtle-FlambeauMap.pdf

I know what you mean, and it wasn't because it was 0330. The online map of the lake lacks contrast in the color used to outline the quiet area. If you blow up the pdf to 125%, look at campsite C9, just to the east of it you see a line drawn across the water, that is the line used to outling the quiet area. Everything to the east of that line and contained by the shore of the North east group of lakes past Murrays landing up to where the Flambeau River enters, is the quiet area. I had them send me a paper map and the quiet area is drawn in a contrasting purple that stands out clearly.

I camped at Campsite D-23. Not in the quiet area, but it was quiet just the same.

Last edited:
http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/facilities/turtleflambeau/documents/2009Turtle-FlambeauMap.pdf

I know what you mean, and it wasn't because it was 0330. The online map of the lake lacks contrast in the color used to outline the quiet area. If you blow up the pdf to 125%, look at campsite C9, just to the east of it you see a line drawn across the water, that is the line used to outling the quiet area. Everything to the east of that line and contained by the shore of the North east group of lakes past Murrays landing up to where the Flambeau River enters, is the quiet area. I had them send me a paper map and the quiet area is drawn in a contrasting purple that stands out clearly.

I camped at Campsite D-23. Not in the quiet area, but it was quiet just the same.

Wow, you weren't kidding about that private island were you? Looks like a nice place to spend one's vacation if that map and those photo of yours on that other site are any indication.

This looks really great. I am surprised it isn't flooded with speedboats. I am thinking this may be our place. I am planning our next trip for this fall, around September.

Thought I might wake this thread up. I am about to leave again. This time, on Motomike's suggestion, I am going to the Turtle-Flambeau Flowage in Wisconsin. My wife is going too, of course. My friend and his daughter, who accompanied us last time, is going as well, as is his wife this time. His wife is afraid of the water, which is why she didn't go last time. But, she missed her family and thought it sounded like we had fun (I don't know if she actually listened to the stories. :eek:) so she is going with us too. We leave Saturday morning after I get off work. I can't wait!

Bon voyage! I'm interested to know, what if any changes in equipment are you making since the last trip?

I have an actual backpacking hammock that I bought yesterday. Also, we are scaling back the food and other misc. major time. We brought way too much crap last time.

We are bringing less clothes. We were able to wash our clothes in the water every evening, which doubled as a bath. I am bringing two sets of BDU's, T-shirts, 3 socks. I am going to change underwear every day though.

The Bannock was a hit so we are doing that again. Last time, I couldn't figure out why we had so much extra food. Turns out, my wife was making double batches of it. :eek: This time, single batches for dinners. Then, we can enjoy snacks more, like popcorn. Also, Larry was in charge of breakfast. The pancakes didn't work that well. We ended up buying those "Just add water" kinds and it was great. I thought that was what he had initially.

Last time, we had one of those cook sets that had all of the pots and pans and plates, cups, etc. that fit inside. My wife washed these and left them on the rocks. We were able to recover some of this stuff the next day. Therefore, we are a little shorter on pots. :biggrin:

That is all I can think of right now.

Sounds good, if TMI in places. :biggrin: Bannock is definitely great. For some reason I'm reminded of the aluminum foil we used to cook canned biscuit dough in during Scout outings. You're probably way ahead of me, but my guess is that the evenings up there can get chilly, so I'd pack a jacket or long johns, too.

Sounds good, if TMI in places. :biggrin: Bannock is definitely great. For some reason I'm reminded of the aluminum foil we used to cook canned biscuit dough in during Scout outings. You're probably way ahead of me, but my guess is that the evenings up there can get chilly, so I'd pack a jacket or long johns, too.

My wife was just mentioning that. I'm full of TMI. :biggrin:

My best friend had set a goal to kayak every river in the state which was Nebraska. Unfortunately, he passed away this year at the age of 30 and never accomplished what he set out. I tried his kayak and have decided I want to kayak from where he grew up all the way down to the Gulf Of Mexico. We used to canoe as kids/teenagers so it wasn't bad to kayak. But I am not looking to do White Water Kayaking.

My best friend had set a goal to kayak every river in the state which was Nebraska. Unfortunately, he passed away this year at the age of 30 and never accomplished what he set out. I tried his kayak and have decided I want to kayak from where he grew up all the way down to the Gulf Of Mexico. We used to canoe as kids/teenagers so it wasn't bad to kayak. But I am not looking to do White Water Kayaking.

I'm by no means a thrill seeker. No white water for me. In fact, I paddle on still water most of the time.

Now I am the envious one. I think September is a good time to go up there. I really look forward to the photos on your return. don't know if you found it, but there is a list of gps coordinates to all the camp sites and the landings on that DNR website. I plugged severel into my gps receiver and it made getting around the flowage very easy. just pick a waypoing and have the gps point the way.

What campsites are you thinking of and why?

happy paddling.

also, for those of you who live in the midwest or are interested in canoeing and kayaking, Adventure canoe is a site just getting off the ground. I would dearly love to see them catch fire and get a good sized membership, check them out.

http://www.adventurecanoe.com/

Now I am the envious one. I think September is a good time to go up there. I really look forward to the photos on your return. don't know if you found it, but there is a list of gps coordinates to all the camp sites and the landings on that DNR website. I plugged severel into my gps receiver and it made getting around the flowage very easy. just pick a waypoing and have the gps point the way.

What campsites are you thinking of and why?

happy paddling.

Unfortunately, I have no GPS. :frown:

As far as sites, we considered yours. However, we are thinking about staying in the the lake north of there. That would mean putting in at Fisherman's Landing. We want to be secluded, and thought it may be wise to stay in the quiet zone. Any suggestions or advice?

Unfortunately, I have no GPS. :frown:

As far as sites, we considered yours. However, we are thinking about staying in the the lake north of there. That would mean putting in at Fisherman's Landing. We want to be secluded, and thought it may be wise to stay in the quiet zone. Any suggestions or advice?

Well, I had bears on the brain when I picked my campsite. deep water all around and about a quarter mile to the nearest land. plus far away from othe campsites. The bear idea was probably silly. up there they don't give bears a second thought. the only ones you see are the ones stuffed inthe bait shops. but they are around. they won't come out to your campsite unless they have a reason to, so if you are careful with how you handle your food, I have decided not to worry about them. There are many good campsites in the quiet area. with the size of your group, I would look for one with a picnic table. On the west side not to deep in the woods so that the winds can keep the bugs away. sand rather than rock beach better for swimming and easier on your boat hull. for me, as far away from others as I can manage. Good luck, waiting with bated breath.

Top Bottom