What's new

Karve Overlander Aluminum. What's up with it?

When it’s a small business, sometimes there is a choice to make between manning the machinery and manning the phones.

If there were laziness involved, then it would also show up in the quality of the final product.

If there were deviousness involved, we would have heard about it a long time ago.

The guy just sounds swamped.
These were my thoughts as well.

Be well
Jay

I can think another Canadian small business called Wolfman Razors that does not have such
issues all the time...occasionally someone fails to get a "are you ready to order" email, but
that is swiftly remedied by emailing an assistant named Tara.

Why does Karve have such lingering issues when Wolfman doesn't?

I can think another Canadian small business called Wolfman Razors that does not have such
issues all the time...occasionally someone fails to get a "are you ready to order" email, but
that is swiftly remedied by emailing an assistant named Tara.

Why does Karve have such lingering issues when Wolfman doesn't?

Initially Wolfman Razor prices were much, much lower. But as popularity grew, in order to keep quality high, he had to dramatically increase price and add a waiting list to curb demand. They are now a luxury item.

Careful what you wish for.

Karve is still affordable, give him the chance do what he has to in order to keep it that way.

Last edited:
Initially Wolfman Razor prices were much, much lower. But as popularity grew, in order to keep quality high, he had to dramatically increase price and add a waiting list to curb demand. They are now a luxury item.

Careful what you wish for.

Karve is still affordable, give him the chance do what he has to in order to keep it that way.
Actually you aren't even close on this!! The quality has always been there, has never changed, and remains the cream of the crop to this day...

The reason for the price increases was because flippers were buying the razors cheap and flipping them on Ebay and other sites for much higher prices and people were willing to pay the prices being charged by them so James made the decision to raise his prices and created a list to curb the flippers, which to date has worked out to his benefit.

Please reread what I wrote.

I said he chose to do what he did to maintain his high quality standards.
Maybe you should re-read what I wrote!! He never had to raise his prices to maintain his high standards at all...

The reason for the price increases was because flippers were buying the razors cheap and flipping them on Ebay and other sites for much higher prices and people were willing to pay the prices being charged by them so James made the decision to raise his prices and created a list to curb the flippers, which to date has worked out to his benefit.

Flippers exist because of high demand.

To discourage flipping you either increase supply or curb demand.

For a small company to increase supply it needs to either spend a whole lot to expand OR
start cutting corners.

For a small company to curb demand, and discourage flipping at the same time, is to raise prices. By doing so Wolfman was able to keep his quality very high.

20230621_105140.jpg

Aluminum Overlander (all black) is in the house. Pre-use I have to say it feels nice in hand. Weighs a bit more then my Henson and the handle feels very secure in hand.
Congrats! Funny you say that about the weight, I thought it weighed a bit less than the Henson, but when I looked up the specs, it weighs exactly the same (within unit conversion rounding error - Henson gives the weight in ounces, Karve in grams).

I received it yesterday and it's definitely the smoothest ATG razor that I've ever used.
A month or so ago I was itching for a brass Overlander but never pulled the trigger since I didn’t want to deal with any patina. I just decided to go with a Feather Popular and it’s my favorite razor I’ve ever had, by far.

But for some reason I looked at the Karve website and saw the aluminum Overlander was back “in stock”…why do I do this to myself?

I am just fine with a Popular. I loved it so much I bought a backup. I know it’s all subjective but is the Overlander worth that much more than say a Popular or something equivalent?

I looked at the Karve website and saw the aluminum Overlander was back “in stock”

Back in stock actually means it needs more work done to it...so dont expect it to ship out the
way normal retailers do business...it's been a sticking point for some. If you don't care, then enjoy.

Last edited:
One of the downfalls of forums such as this, to a newbie anyway, is you soon realize there are WAY more safety razor choices out there than the cursory google search will show you. I just got the point of breaking the SAD, and now I start to read threads like this and find myself looking at another razor, perhaps more than anything because some of them are just cool to look at :001_smile

One of the downfalls of forums such as this, to a newbie anyway, is you soon realize there are WAY more safety razor choices out there than the cursory google search will show you. I just got the point of breaking the SAD, and now I start to read threads like this and find myself looking at another razor, perhaps more than anything because some of them are just cool to look at :001_smile
The overlander is a great razor. Highly recommend

A month or so ago I was itching for a brass Overlander but never pulled the trigger since I didn’t want to deal with any patina. I just decided to go with a Feather Popular and it’s my favorite razor I’ve ever had, by far.

But for some reason I looked at the Karve website and saw the aluminum Overlander was back “in stock”…why do I do this to myself?

I am just fine with a Popular. I loved it so much I bought a backup. I know it’s all subjective but is the Overlander worth that much more than say a Popular or something equivalent?
I love all my Overlanders.. but I will recommend that you stick with something if it works well for you.

My first order from Karve, Aluminum Overlander all black placed week ago. Order confirmation tell explicitly that order will take up to 4 weeks. I'm fine with it, they didn't sell it like ready for shipment. Actually there is nice feeling also when waiting, like it is special when it takes longer time. If it is not 3 months or more of course.. :001_smile

Can anyone compare the shave between the aluminum and brass versions of the Overlander and the Christopher Bradley razors? I normally prefer the weight of SS and brass, but I love the efficiency of the F and G CB plates, just wondering if they shave much differently?

Top Bottom