What's new

Just something about spiders I love.

Ok, so what you can see in my pictures above are eggs and post-embryos. Post-embryos are affectionately nicknamed Eggs with Legs (EWLs). Spiders don't "hatch", they molt. So an EWL molts out of the egg. The outer shell of the egg is all that is discarded, and all of the energy stored in the egg is still in the egg portion of the EWL, which will become the spider's abdomen. After the EWL molts it becomes a 1st Instar spiderling and looks more like a proper spider. Again, it only molts off the outer layer of "skin" (exoskeleton), and all of the energy stores inside, still remains inside it's abdomen. All of my spiderlings from above are now 1st instar, but I don't have a picture of them yet, I can take one tonight. They are basically too small and not developed enough to fend for themselves and eat, but they have enough fat stores to last them until they molt into 2nd Instars. After that molt they will start to get their "hairs" (setae) on their body and look more like a proper baby tarantula. They will then be able to hunt, and eat tiny crickets.

These are the Spyders I love:

View attachment 542933

I guess that would be the genus K.Spyderco?

You know, I wonder if these guys are related?

proxy.php
VS
proxy.php

Let me ask you guys this... when you transfer a spider back to the great outdoors, how do you do it? No way in tarnation I'm picking up one of those things!

Let me ask you guys this... when you transfer a spider back to the great outdoors, how do you do it?

If I'm capturing a wild spider, that found its way indoors, I trap it in a catch cup and place a piece of cardboard over for a lid. Or a Tupperware container, or whatever is handy. Then I just take it outside, and gently toss the spider, or shake the container over the ground. They have an exoskeleton, and are light, so a short fall isn't much to them.

If I'm capturing a wild spider, that found its way indoors, I trap it in a catch cup and place a piece of cardboard over for a lid. Or a Tupperware container, or whatever is handy. Then I just take it outside, and gently toss the spider, or shake the container over the ground. They have an exoskeleton, and are light, so a short fall isn't much to them.

Gonna arm myself with a cup next time I clean the garage.

Wolfies are just as harmless. They are just out and about more.

That may be true, but they are super fast and I swear they will turn and face you with no backing down. Similar to the scorpions we have around the yard. Tarantulas are fast, I know, but they have nothing to prove. To me Wolfies have something to prove, tarantulas are the cool easy going surfers of the arachnid world LOL

This^^ tarantulas on the porch or side of the house get a gently nudge back into the farthest parts of the property LOL

Top Bottom