What's new

Just bought a Canon Rebel t3i...any tips?

Now you need a bunch of L lenses :) .
Just figure out what you like to shoot, whether it be landscapes, architectural or people then buy the best glass you can afford. Get a good durable tripod with a really good head that uses arca swiss connectors (like the ones from really right stuff). Flash, if you shoot people get the best other stuff can get by with little less as it will be used for fill. Niggest thing get out and shoot a bunch to work on technique.

Read the manual and learn how your new camera works. Sure, you can use a DSLR like a point-and-shoot, but I would hope that you bought it looking for better performance and control.

Read the manual and learn how your new camera works. Sure, you can use a DSLR like a point-and-shoot, but I would hope that you bought it looking for better performance and control.
+1 ... digital cameras have a lot of bells and whistles that you will never know about unless you read the book. Take some time to get to know your camera, shoot a lot of practice pics under varying conditions, and experiment with the different settings. You'll never know what that camera can do if you don't try out all the functions. And when you get that once in a lifetime shot, there's no time to refer to instructions, you need to know what functions are there ahead of time.

And pay particular attention to calibrating "White Balance." This will help your portraits to have natural skin-tone, and other shots to have accurately displayed colors.

And if you're not familiar with it already, practice editing, cropping and adjusting those pics in PhotoShop or a similar program. Many mediocre shots can be made into outstanding photos with just a little bit of tweaking.

My advice is to forget about Scene Mode etc. Go straight to Aperture Priority, set it at 5.6 then experiment with autofocus, ISO levels and metering settings. If I had a camera with only Aperture and Manual modes, I'd be happy. Also, if you're not wanting very large prints, the sharpest setting on my Nikon is fine Medium JPG. Don't know if it's the same on the Canon, but I'd do some test shots and take a look at what you get using different image quality settings. As said previously, the only way to learn is by doing, so go out, have lots of fun and leave your shyness at home. It doesn't matter how many pictures of that tree/bike/car/whatever you take as long as you have a good look at them back home and gain some understanding of why some shots work and some don't- it could be purely technical aspects or it might be composition. Don't be embarassed about coming back to a place to get a picture you want when the weather is right etc. The most important part of any photographer's kit is the DELETE button! There will always be another picture.

Thanks for the tips so far folks....

I plan on taking lots of pictures of my dog, some nature shots, and probably some random city shots. I don't see myself doing much portraiture and/or people shots. I'm not much of a people person, lol...

Anyway, any suggestions related specifically for shots of animals?

BTW(for mdunn), I got a great deal on a refurbished on Canon's website. Used a 20% off coupon code that's good until the end of this month plus a free shipping code....check it out.

You have picked out a great camera. Here is a book you may want to look at.
$canon book.jpg

One of the first accessories I'd buy is a good camera strap, like a Domke Gripper Camera Strap 1" with Swivel Quick Release. Domke makes great bags also.

Im picking up one of them this week! Will be watching this thread with interest

+1 how funny! SWMBO and I checked this exact camera and a comparable Sony model three days ago at a retail store. We will be purchasing soon, I will follow this thread with interest. I've never popped into the darkroom threads before.

That or an ND filter. Just get something protecting that lens.
A good bag is far more important than it sounds. Being able to have everything safe, dry and where you left it is great for your peace of mind. also check-lists become a lot easier as you can see the hole where your spare battery should be for example. I have a mesh side-pocket on my bag which only ever gets used for the lens cap. If the cap isn't on, it's in there- nothing else is ever in there. Well, apart from that time Eva Mendes slipped me her number, the sly minx!

get an extra charger. One stays in the wall at your house, the other stays in your camera bag. That way, when you travel, you don't have to worry about forgetting it. An extra battery never hurt either.

I'd also pick up a good fixed lens like the 50mm 1.8, or something in a wider focal length (35mm range). My "nifty fifty" is the lens that stays on my camera 80% of the time.

But bear in mind that if you want a 50mm focal length on that body you need to buy a 35mm lens- and check it autofocusses itself as I don't think the EOS 600D has an internal focus motor. I simply would not have bought my own nifty fifty if I'd known these two facts beforehand. Or perhaps more precisely, if I'd known how difficult it is to take very sharp pictures quickly using manual focus and the fact that a 50mm lens on a DX camera is 75mm

Last edited:
Here are a few tidbits/links that I’ve found very helpful in getting my arms around DSLR photography:

Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera [Paperback] is an excellent book that easily explains the building blocks to obtaining a proper exposure with your camera. It’s especially helpful in getting one out of the “Green” auto mode on the Canon DSLR.

http://www.goingmanual.com/photo/ is another great site for figuring out how to make your camera do what YOU want it to do, rather than the computer.

[url]http://kelbytraining.com/bundle/the-scott-kelby-digital-photography-library-bundle-2/ [/URL]is an excellent set of books.

Some good links from Fro knows photo:

http://froknowsphoto.com/

Flickr also has several helpful forums that I’m a member of including:

· flash photography techniques

A couple of good sites for developing you flash skills are:

· Neil Van Niekik’s Tangents blog

Bob Atkins has tons of equipment reviews including just about everything you’d want to know about lenses.

Ken Rockwell is very knowledgeable and VERY opinioned guy. Sometimes I agree with his recommendations and sometimes I don’t but it’s always entertaining to read and written in clear English.

Digital Photo Review is the mother of all camera review sites. They have reviews going back to the late 90’s.

Sanyo’s Eneloops are the world’s best rechargeable batteries for your external flash. Hold their charge for a long time and allows the flash to quickly recycle for the next shot. Wish I had these babies back in the 80’s and 80’s.

Thanks for the links! My camera arrived Friday night so I've just been playing around with the different settings and picture modes so far. I bought the Kindle version of the book ackvil posted and it has indeed been helpful so thank you for that. Seems like a great camera and I'm already eyeing a 75-300mm telephoto.

Seems like a great camera and I'm already eyeing a 75-300mm telephoto.
You might also want to consider the 55-250mm IS telephoto. The image stabilization will often allow you to get usable shots hand held, in situations that would otherwise require you to lug a tripod around. The 75-300 has a slightly longer reach, but it is not stabilized.

Top Bottom