What's new

Joya del Jefe Connecticut

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Joya del Jefe Connecticut cigar?

I ask because it looks like I'll soon have 35 of them on their way to me via CBid... Out of a lot of 8, I threw out an early bid of $1.00 for 7 of the 8 five packs. The reasoning being that by the auction end, I might be able to pick up an unknown fiver for a buck. Well...there hasn't been any activity on this lot, so now I'm a bit worried that I've got 35 dog rockets on the way if I win. :eek: Worst case scenario, I'm only in it for $7.00 +shipping.

Live and learn. :rolleyes:

I ask because it looks like I'll soon have 35 of them on their way to me via CBid... Out of a lot of 8, I threw out an early bid of $1.00 for 7 of the 8 five packs. The reasoning being that by the auction end, I might be able to pick up an unknown fiver for a buck. Well...there hasn't been any activity on this lot, so now I'm a bit worried that I've got 35 dog rockets on the way if I win. :eek: Worst case scenario, I'm only in it for $7.00 +shipping.

Live and learn. :rolleyes:

Let us know, at the end of the day at least you aren't out much.

It's official. 6 of 7 won. I will soon have 30 of these on my doorstep...I'll keep you all posted.

Hey Matt, want a fiver?

It's official. 6 of 7 won. I will soon have 30 of these on my doorstep...I'll keep you all posted.

Hey Matt, want a fiver?

Sure, if they are good! :wink:

EDIT: Checked them out on the CI site and they didn't get any terrible reviews. Throw them in the humi and forget about 'em. They will probably be pretty good in 6 months to a year. Or start growing in your humidor.

Ok, they've been shipped and are expected to arrive Monday or Tuesday. Yikes...I didn't even take storage into consideration. :whistling:

A friend purchased some a few years ago. They were his giveaway sticks when we went smoking and they weren't too popular. The Joya de Jefes he had were short-filler so the ash kept dropping in your lap. I've had better tasting cigars, too.

For cheap smokes I'll recommend the Belinda Spanish Twists that come in your choice of natural or maduro. If you want something a bit more upscale, I hear the Padron Fumas are great. Tough finding them in stock, though.

A friend purchased some a few years ago. They were his giveaway sticks when we went smoking and they weren't too popular. The Joya de Jefes he had were short-filler so the ash kept dropping in your lap. I've had better tasting cigars, too.

For cheap smokes I'll recommend the Belinda Spanish Twists that come in your choice of natural or maduro. If you want something a bit more upscale, I hear the Padron Fumas are great. Tough finding them in stock, though.

Hmm...these are definitely long filler. Here's the CigarBid description:

Joya del Jefe is a mild to medium-bodied Dominican that’s mellow and pleasant. The wrapper is a gorgeous, golden tan Connecticut-shade leaf covering a blend of all Dominican long fillers.

They actually arrived today and look pretty good. I can't say when I'll actually be able to fire one up though because I've been dealing with some stomach issues lately that have been putting the kibash on just about everything. :mad:

Joya del Jefe is a mild to medium-bodied Dominican that’s mellow and pleasant. The wrapper is a gorgeous, golden tan Connecticut-shade leaf covering a blend of all Dominican long fillers.

They actually arrived today and look pretty good. I can't say when I'll actually be able to fire one up though because I've been dealing with some stomach issues lately that have been putting the kibash on just about everything. :mad:

Smoke'm out!

Looks like I was mistaken. Well, they still did not hold their ash as long as every other kind of cigar I've smoked (which is getting to be a bit!).

Sorry about your stomach problems, I hope they go away soon and you can let us know how those sticks are. :smile:

Hehe. The Doc asked me about my drinking habits. When I told him that I've curbed it quite a bit in the past few years, he prescribed me a six-pack! He's a younger doctor with a good sense of humor.

Did he ask you if you are a smoker? I've been wondering what the answer to that would be. While I'm fairly certian my two cigars a week aren't detrimental to my health, I'm not sure my health insurance or my doctor would agree. I assume that they assume that cigars are just as bad(if not worse, because they stink!)than cigarettes like the rest of the human population.

Did he ask you if you are a smoker? I've been wondering what the answer to that would be. While I'm fairly certian my two cigars a week aren't detrimental to my health, I'm not sure my health insurance or my doctor would agree. I assume that they assume that cigars are just as bad(if not worse, because they stink!)than cigarettes like the rest of the human population.

Good question, Matt. He did ask me about "tobacco exposure." I told him that I smoke an occasional cigar and elaborated further to say that "occasional" is about one or two a week for me...and no cigarettes or chew, so on so forth. His response was, "So have you got your wife to smoke with you yet?" I took the whole anything in moderation bit from this because after he asked that, we were done with that topic.

As far as insurance goes, when I was filling out paperwork for a life insurance policy (which I ended up not getting in the end, so I don't know if this would have really panned out ok), my agent told me to fill it out as a non-smoker. I told her about the cigars, but she said they are after cigarette smokers. She said to stop for 2 weeks prior to the nicotine test being taken and I would be fine.

Fine Print: Like I said, in the end, I ended up with a different insurance company all-together and no life insurance through them, so no need to worry about it yet. If someone were to find themselves in this situation, you might want to answer yes as a smoker and avoid any potential insurance fraud. I don't know the first thing about insurance, but this seems like something that could bite you in the *** someday.

Happy smoking! :lol:

Just got back from a walk with my dog and a cigar. I decided to give the Joya another shot (I brought a Fresco Maduro torpedo along just in case) and I have to say it was much better than the first.

To be clear, these are not great cigars...in fact I have a hard time calling them good cigars, but I think I can find a use for them as Dog Walking Cigars. In other words, when it's cold and windy out and I feel like a cigar, but don't want to grab anything worth while because I won't be able to appreciate its subtleties. Instead, I can reach for one of these and not stress out if I have to pitch it or just am not enjoying it in general.

Just got back from a walk with my dog and a cigar. I decided to give the Joya another shot (I brought a Fresco Maduro torpedo along just in case) and I have to say it was much better than the first.

To be clear, these are not great cigars...in fact I have a hard time calling them good cigars, but I think I can find a use for them as Dog Walking Cigars. In other words, when it's cold and windy out and I feel like a cigar, but don't want to grab anything worth while because I won't be able to appreciate its subtleties. Instead, I can reach for one of these and not stress out if I have to pitch it or just am not enjoying it in general.

Dog Walking Cigar! You should send that to CI!

Top Bottom