What's new

Journals

DoubleE said:
My fountain pens bleed in my Moleskine as well. I now just use a nice rollerball in it and save my fountain pens for thicker paper in a couple of my other journals. I love the size and look of the Moleskines. I wish the paper was just a little thicker.

Jerry

When a fountain pen bleeds into the paper it is in part the papers fault but the writer may also be able to change things a bit. Writing bigger and faster with less pressure--thinking of the fountain pen more as a paint brush.

That being said--I am being a bit of a jerk here because--I agree my fountain pens which have generous ink flows or nibs that are not fine or comparatively fine mediums bleeds (which is most of them that I consider most worthwhile using) into the Moleskine pads.

MJB

MJB said:
When a fountain pen bleeds into the paper it is in part the papers fault but the writer may also be able to change things a bit. Writing bigger and faster with less pressure--thinking of the fountain pen more as a paint brush.

That being said--I am being a bit of a jerk here because--I agree my fountain pens which have generous ink flows or nibs that are not fine or comparatively fine mediums bleeds (which is most of them that I consider most worthwhile using) into the Moleskine pads.

MJB

MJB:

You're probably correct that writing faster may help with the bleeding issue. My problem is if I write fast, there's no hope of anyone being able to read it, and likely not me either!:blush: My penmanship sucks and always has. I must write slowly if there's any hope of legibility.

I would love to be able to use my fountain pens and if I use an XF nib, it does help!

I gave up on the Moleskines because of the bleeding issue. I am returning to my Levenger notebooks for general use with fountain pens.

Scotto said:
I gave up on the Moleskines because of the bleeding issue. I am returning to my Levenger notebooks for general use with fountain pens.

I'm going to have to give the Levenger's a try!

I love moleskin books but my problem is the ink seems to take longer to dry with them. For journal writing I use clairefontaine (?) and exacompta. I think I got them both from swisher pens. swisher pens has a horrible website BTW.
my exacompta has silver-gilt edges, a ribbon bookmark in it, and says journal on the front. I actually like the clairefontaine journal better but it's in plain black and no bookmork, so I use it for taking notes.

Hi folks! It is true that Moleskins have become the unofficial trademark of many an aspiring writer. I started, a long time ago, in those familiar "black and white speckled composition" books. Now, I have found a hard-bound journal source, that is easy on the pocket, and yes, they take just about any kind of ink.

Here is the website .... don't laugh too loud, when you read it, please?

http://shop.manconinc.com/ProductDe...rodid=7530002223521&sku=7530002223521&bcuse=1

I have used for years, when I was 'a government wonk', and when I worked in supply, and then electronics, in the Air Force. It is not as 'light' as a moleskin, but ask our folks 'in the sand', since they swear by them, too. Besides, most 'bookstore journals', are the same dimensions as these, so they fit nicely on the shelf.

Hi folks! It is true that Moleskins have become the unofficial trademark of many an aspiring writer. I started, a long time ago, in those familiar "black and white speckled composition" books. Now, I have found a hard-bound journal source, that is easy on the pocket, and yes, they take just about any kind of ink.

Here is the website .... don't laugh too loud, when you read it, please?

http://shop.manconinc.com/ProductDe...rodid=7530002223521&sku=7530002223521&bcuse=1

I have used for years, when I was 'a government wonk', and when I worked in supply, and then electronics, in the Air Force. It is not as 'light' as a moleskin, but ask our folks 'in the sand', since they swear by them, too. Besides, most 'bookstore journals', are the same dimensions as these, so they fit nicely on the shelf.

Thanks for the link. Don't know if green is the color of choice but the price is certainly right.

Moleskine is hit or miss on being FP friendly. Rhodia and Quo Vadis make have the same style books as the Moleskine and are FP Friendly.

I have a Rhodia Webbie that uses Clairefontaine paper. It's terrific paper, very smooth with a nice sheen. But it can take a little longer for the ink to dry on it.

A couple of months back I bought an ARC notebook from Staples. Surprisingly good paper with it, available in ruled, graph and other styles. Very fountain-pen friendly paper. It seems Staples has a sale on them every few weeks, so they're a pretty fine deal. Like the Levenger system, you can refill them easily. I've used the Levenger, but prefer the Staples ARC, which also costs quite a bit less.

I used to use Moleskine, but after a friend turned me on to the Miquelrius flexible notebooks, I've never gone back.

I have used Rhodia and Moleskine. I got the Moleskine partly to try it, partly because I liked the format of the yearly planner. Frankly I can stand the Moleskine paper, but its nothing special. The Rhodia, however, is freaking awesome...

My preference (in order) Quo Vadis Habana, Rhodia Webbie, Exacompta, and Clairefontaine softcover. I do not care for Moleskine.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
To answer the OP's question, I suggest that you take a Quo Vadis Habana notebook with you to Queen Elizabeth's coronation.

I use the Staples Sustainable Earth Bagasse composition books, cheap as dirt, good with fountain pens, and now I have a leather cover for it I got from Renaissance Art. Great combo for journaling.

Planners are another category, and I prefer a good old MS product like Outlook because I came program it to beep at me.

Top Bottom