What's new

Jerry Stack / Brian Brown / Portland Razor Co

I have three 6/8 Brian Browns. I think it partly depends on the size of ones frame and face. I'm 155 and a size 38 jacket so the 6/8 is plenty big for my facial features.

Looks like BRW is the clear choice, I contacted him for a quote and looking to place an order very soon. Just have a outstanding question on if his blades run a bit larger in case I need to order a 6/8 to get a 7/8 etc. Then need to finalize the scales. (not sure his process).... very excited to put a BRW razor into action as I want it as my main.... A bit worried a 7/8 could be too big but I am 6'5" 220 so small I am not, just only have experience with my 5/8 razor.

I have not measured either my 6/8" or my 7/8". The 7/8" is big, but the bright side is you can shave half of your face without rinsing. I recall the first time I used it, I was a little intimidated by the size. But I got a wonderful shave the first time out. And it is one of my favorites. The 6/8" will be bigger and beefier than your 5/8" experience though. Perhaps save the extra cash and start at 6/8". Then you can jump to the larger razor later.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I would recommend trying a lower-priced razor in that size before you sink a lot of cash in one. They didn't work for me but as with all things shaving, YMMV.

Brian will fit a set of scales that are proportinate to the blade. No worries there. I have a BRW in 6/8 and another in 7/8..there is no size issue good or bad with either. Next BRW blade I oder will be 6/8..and it will probably measure closer to 13/16. That is fine by me. I am 6'1" about 225. Size 10 gloves. Body size does not really matter when considering blade size I don't think.

All of the brands you have mentioned, or are mentioned in this thread, are generally top-notch and you won't go wrong with any of them from a quality or craftsmanship perspective. I have Aust, Koraat, Brown, PRC, and a bunch of others, in different sizes and points from 5/8 to 8/8, French to round to Barbers Notch. I also have a full beard (or nearly so, I trim it closely and take the tops of my cheeks down a bit to present a cleaner line).

Since you don't have a ton of shaving experience yet, and you have a beard, here are my thoughts:

Maker and grind really aren't important from a needs perspective. Buy whatever level of hollow appeals to you, and with your budget you have a lot of choices, so buy a razor that is aesthetically pleasing.
For the purposes of beard lines, 5/8 or 6/8 will be easier to maneuver until you get your muscle memory going.

Point also doesn't matter so much. Square is fine but buyer beware...they can bite at first when you are trying to get things perfect with the tip! You can get to individual hairs just as easily with a round point as a French or square, it's just about getting better at shaving which takes a little bit of time. Personally I like Spanish points and Barbers notches, but that is purely an aesthetic choice for me.

Stick with a straight versus a smiling edge at first. It's easier to get a straight beard line with a flat edge, especially on your cheeks. Once you are more experienced, any razor will certainly do the job.

Sorry to harp on experience so much, in the long run whatever you decide on will be fine, I was just outlining what will be easier at first from my own experience.

Looking in other lower cost options as a few members have recommended and it looks like Thiers-Issard is a superb brand every has one of. I only see rounded pointed at most sites but the companies site offers a lot of options. How can I get the blade options I want as their site is not easy to read etc.

Top Bottom