What's new

I've decided to get back into Slingshots

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Another low-energy choice for ammo is clay. Even lower: chickpeas. I get clay balls from Pocket Predator. They have some good slingshots as well.
Thx for the reference to Pocket Predator.... They do have some very nice slingshots. I might even buy one, you never know. I think I like their Ranger Recurve. I had a lot of fun with them when I was a kid. I can't remember the name of the one that we all had... it was small... some sort of metal frame, but when I do a search on Amazon, they don't come up so they are probably history.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
When I was about 6 or so at our house in Sacramento, CA the neighbor kid "Mikey" got me in the back of the head with a slingshot. I had to go to the hospital and get stitches. Lots of blood. I remember my father paying the neighbors a visit over that incident. :001_smile
Ouch.... I'll bet your dad didn't let you get one after that. We used to have wars with slingshots and these quarter sized green unripe plums. The wars always ended when one of us went home crying after getting hit in the head. We tried to aim for the body because we all wore long sleeve sweatshirts to limit the damage but someone always took a shot to the head, eventually.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Thx for the reference to Pocket Predator.... They do have some very nice slingshots. I might even buy one, you never know. I think I like their Ranger Recurve. I had a lot of fun with them when I was a kid. I can't remember the name of the one that we all had... it was small... some sort of metal frame, but when I do a search on Amazon, they don't come up so they are probably history.

Saunders Wrist Rocket was the 1970s go-to:

They didn't fold, and were hard to conceal.

This skinny teen would "clamp" the thing around my side, under my shirt. Later got a folding one, in which the rest would fold and it could go in a back pocket, Dennis the Menace style.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
ebay idiot sent 5/16 clay ammo, not the 3/8 ordered and I'd prefer. For $11, not sending back. Shot a few, tiny mass. A lead projo this size will work or steel, but. Not happy.

AA

Legion

Staff member
Here in NY wrist brace style slingshots are illegal and specifically noted by name in the law. It is a class A misdemeanor!

S 265.01 Criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree.
A person is guilty of criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth
degree when:
(1) He or she possesses any firearm, electronic dart gun, electronic
stun gun, gravity knife, switchblade knife, pilum ballistic knife, metal
knuckle knife, cane sword, billy, blackjack, bludgeon, plastic knuckles,
metal knuckles, chuka stick, sand bag, sandclub, wrist-brace type
slingshot or slungshot, shirken or "Kung Fu star"
Same where I live. I still have one somewhere, but don't use it because I am not really into tubular bands.

Same where I live. I still have one somewhere, but don't use it because I am not really into tubular bands.
All slingshots are banned here, even at a forest or river bank. Unless you are doing something you shouldn't, no one here would get tagged. I don't shoot it busy places and generally shoot in my yard, with a catchbox at the side of my house.

As for tubes, I use certain sizes for plinking using small frames (non wrist rockets) or with Gypsy Tabs. The stock tubes on Amazon and sports stores for those wrist rockets are not high quality and usually discouraging to new shooters.

Those old Crossman and Trumark can be easily banded up with flats too. I just prefer to shoot a non braced frame anyways.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I had two slingshots as a kid.. I have been able to identify one of them... the Wham-o wood one.. the other was small, metal... I looked on eBay to see if I can spot the one I had.. no luck far. It didn't have a wrist support or anything.. just a small, metal slingshot.

I'll keep looking. I thought it might have been a Crossman but I haven't seen a photo of mine when looking at Crossman slingshots images online.

Legion

Staff member
I had two slingshots as a kid.. I have been able to identify one of them... the Wham-o wood one.. the other was small, metal... I looked on eBay to see if I can spot the one I had.. no luck far. It didn't have a wrist support or anything.. just a small, metal slingshot.

I'll keep looking. I thought it might have been a Crossman but I haven't seen a photo of mine when looking at Crossman slingshots images online.
Milbro?

s-l500.jpeg

Years ago we made a large caliber slingshot at work. We used about 50 feet (~15m) of surgical tubing, and a patch of canvas. We slotted the canvas to form the pouch to hold the “ammo.”

It took three people to operate. The sling started out at over 10 feet (3m) long and required a person anchoring it on each side. The third person would load the pouch, back up and, stretch the tubing. It could fire at a distance of over 100 yards. (~91m)

The ammo? Water balloons.

Our antenna range was situated 300 feet (~91m) higher in elevation than the rest of the company property. On a hot summer day we’d call up friends below and they’d come out and gather below in the landing zone and watch it rain down water balloons. We even warned our security department while they were qualifying on the gun range one day. (Luckily, they didn’t shoot back.)

Our accuracy was usually minute of Zip Code.😉

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I decided to dip my toe back into slingshots because of this thread. I didn't want to spend a lot of money, esp. at the beginning so I found a nice one on Amazon.... then I looked on Ali Express.. same slingshot as the one on Amazon, both made in China, perhaps by the same company... for around 1/4 of the price. The problem? They don't ship anything out the whole month of January because it contains their New Year's holiday. I won't see it until the end of February, most likely.

I did get the shot/ammo though. It's been here for a couple weeks now. ;)

I decided to dip my toe back into slingshots because of this thread. I didn't want to spend a lot of money, esp. at the beginning so I found a nice one on Amazon.... then I looked on Ali Express.. same slingshot as the one on Amazon, both made in China, perhaps by the same company... for around 1/4 of the price. The problem? They don't ship anything out the whole month of January because it contains their New Year's holiday. I won't see it until the end of February, most likely.

I did get the shot/ammo though. It's been here for a couple weeks now. ;)
Wrist Rocket?

Top Bottom