What's new

Irish Whisky

Hello, anyone tried Michael Collins Irish Whisky? I like Black Bush and saw this at the supermarket. Imbibed in some this weekend. It came with a flask, which was cool. This is very smooth. It has a slight honey, vanilla flavor, pleasant, very easy drinking. Less than $20.00 w/o flask.

I love Bushmills, but I haven't had it in years. I think it's the only Irish Whiskey I've tried.. I'd love to try others if I had the chance.

-Mason

I'm not a fan of Irish Whiskey in general, but if you are going to drink it go for Bushmills 10. It's fairly moderate in price and will do the job. Though for my money you can find much better Scottish single malts for comporable prices to Irish.

I'm not a fan of Irish Whiskey in general, but if you are going to drink it go for Bushmills 10. It's fairly moderate in price and will do the job. Though for my money you can find much better Scottish single malts for comporable prices to Irish.

I agree, I prefer Scot single malts.

S

sullivanpm

Hello, anyone tried Michael Collins Irish Whisky? I like Black Bush and saw this at the supermarket. Imbibed in some this weekend. It came with a flask, which was cool. This is very smooth. It has a slight honey, vanilla flavor, pleasant, very easy drinking. Less than $20.00 w/o flask.
Try the Mick Collins Single Malt it is much much better than the blended.

Hello, anyone tried Michael Collins Irish Whisky? I like Black Bush and saw this at the supermarket. ...

How does it compare to the Black Bush? I find BB to be dangerously smooth.

Other irish whiskies currently in my cabinet are Red Breast and the standard Jameson.

As a somewhat off-color aside, I happened to acquire both the Red Breast and Black Bush on the same day. Yes, interesting conversations ensued after telling my friends about those acquisitions. :biggrin:

:clover:

j.

I probably haven't had enough examples of Irish whisky to make a recommendation..I like a jameson's or bushmill 10. but irish is, to make a clumsy analogy, "2D" as compared to a scotch, which is kinda "3D" to me. I too would like to try a better one than what I have had already.

I probably haven't had enough examples of Irish whisky to make a recommendation..I like a jameson's or bushmill 10. but irish is, to make a clumsy analogy, "2D" as compared to a scotch, which is kinda "3D" to me. I too would like to try a better one than what I have had already.

Bushmills 10 year single malt (green label) Is one of my favorites. With scotch you have the added dimention of peat.

Sometimes I think scotch drinkers give Irish whiskey short shrift. Malt whiskey doesn't have to taste like a smoldering peat bog to be an enjoyable dram.

If you haven't already and you would like to explore Irish whiskey further, Redbreast 12 is excellent.

Check out Middleton Irish Whisky. Runs about $100+ a bottle. Fantastic stuff. The aftertaste is like peaches and cream. For a cheaper, similar taste, find Red Breast for around $50.

I picked up some Powers tonight. I am enjoying some as we speak, neat. I think it has a nice flavor to it. I was a little hesitant to plunk down the cash for something like the Red Breast, but seeing as how I like the Powers, I'd be more willing to buy it in the future.

I picked Powers because I'd seen it recommended elsewhere, and also because I'd read that it was the most popular brand in Ireland.

S

sullivanpm

Powers is good but the problem with Irish Whiskey is that some of the best does not get imported so my suggestion would be to fly to Ireland and do sort of a whiskey tour from South to North.:biggrin:

I have always had a soft spot for Bushmills. When I was a kid we used to take the odd holiday up in that part of the world and happily my parents now have a holiday home in Portballintrae which is about a mile from the Bushmills Distillery. A long autumn walk up the coast past causeway, cliffs, crashing waves and ruined castles, finishing off in a cosy bar beside the fire sipping whiskey distilled a stone's throw away:thumbup1: .......

apologies for digressing, back to the point....there was always a wider variety of scots blends and single malts and some interesting expressions/finishes. The contrast between an Island Malt like Ardbeg and a lowland malt like Tamdhu is not I think a contrast that can be found within the world of Irish whiskey. However Irish distillers seem to discovering a bit of pride in the product and are now upping their variety and, I think, their quality. Bushmill's Distillery reserve and the 10 year malt are excellent and I am delighted to hear that Bush has fans across the pond,

Cheers!!!!

Top Bottom