What's new

Injectors!

First, thank you Thrideye for this week's RotW. Your choice of razor came right on the heels of the last few days of reflecting at the sink on how injectors don’t seem to get a whole lot of press here. That being said if you are sitting on one, I encourage you to dust it off and give it a try for a week.

I came into possession of an L1 Schick injector a few months back along with a Slim and an SS during the unfortunate business of clearing our my late Grandmother's house. I believe the injector was one of my Uncles' as the dates are all wrong for that particular handle to be my Grandfather’s. While the other two have been in heavy rotation along with my GEM, I finally remembered to pick up blades out in town last week. As an interesting side note, while I haven’t seen any Injector handles in town, finding injector blades (2 types, Schick I and II, 10 blades for 950-1150 yen respectively) is a easier than finding DE blades.

I am certainly kicking myself for not doing this sooner. This razor has been giving me the most consistently amazing shaves. Out of curiosity, how may of you keep one in your normal rotation?

I use a Schick "Golden 500" Injector for 95% of my shaves. I love the way it shaves and I get zero irritation from the razor.

Patrick

They can be an awesome shaving implement.

I have used them myself a bunch of times although for various reasons I never really got into them for regular use.

The question is, why don't they get much air time around here? I think its because they lack many characteristics that attract guys to traditional shaving equipment. They're small and light in the hand, and let's face it, they're somewhat cool to look at but they're nothing compared to a classic DE.

I think it would be cool if Merkur made a new Injector that was heavy, shiny, and bigger.

I shaved for many happy years with the Shick injector until they and the blades vanished here in the UK.
If they had not, I would still be shaving with them and probably never discovered this site!
All's well that ends well.

Cordially, AvT.

I've got a very nice near mint J2 (courtesy of a member here) that get regular usage in the rotation, especially since I scored a nice cache of US-made blades last April.

I used a Schick injector for quite a while, back when the Hydro-magic first came on the market. I can't really recall why I happened to get away from it. I always have been one to be trying something new, and I guess I just tried a newer razor and never got around to going back to the injector.

In recent times, since I've been collecting razors, I've tried a couple of injectors, including my old Hydro-magic and my old Pal Adjustable. Perhaps I haven't really used them again for an extended enough time, but I really don't think that, I'm likely to go back to the injector.

I'm now hooked on old Gem SE's.

Regards,
Tom

When I started shaving in the mid-1960's. the Schick Injector was my favorite razor. I didnt use any of the Gillette DE's that were in style then. I liked its simplicity and ease of use. I would like to get one from that time period, they seem to be somewhat rare and pricey on The Bay. During their time, the Schick Injector was a strong competitor to Gillette.

Top Bottom