What's new

In-between a R41 & Fatip ??

So I need a new razor. Well "need" is a stretch, maybe "want is a better word. I'm still looking for that Goldilocks razor.

R41 is slightly harsh
Fatip is too mild

Would the Lupo 1.27 be a good in-between razor ?

What recommendations do you have.

:pipe:

So I need a new razor. Well "need" is a stretch, maybe "want is a better word. I'm still looking for that Goldilocks razor.

R41 is slightly harsh
Fatip is too mild

Would the Lupo 1.27 be a good in-between razor ?

What recommendations do you have.

:pipe:
Which Fatip razor are you referring to?

I'm still looking for that Goldilocks razor.
It doesn't exist. Keep what you already have and be content. Yesterday I bought a Yuma, possibly the cheapest and lowest quality safety razor in current production. I only did it because it was 1,50. Change in my pocket. Just for fun. Not because I needed It.

Guess what happened on my first shave with this piece of pot metal: I got a fine shave. A shave just as good as with any other razor I ever owned or still own. Razors that literally cost 50 or 100 times the price of the Yuma.

Razors bring nothing to the table, good technique does. I was on the hunt for the "Goldilocks razor" for over 15 years. Never found it. Lost lots of money in the process only to find that the usual suspects like the Merkur 34C and Mühle, are just fine. Oh, and the Yuma.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking for something a little less efficient than the r41, only slightly but smoother. Would the Lupo 1.27 or Karve CB G-plate, fit this description ?

Razors bring nothing to the table, good technique does.

I would have to disagree with this statement. I've said this in many other threads here, so I'll try to be brief. I have thick whiskers that lay flat against my skin on either side of my Adam's Apple, along with a swirl growth pattern. Many razors that are highly recommended here just don't work for me because of the blade chatter I experience in those areas.

The best razors for me are ones that clamp down on the blade very well near the cutting edge. Good examples include the Fatip Piccolo, Gillette New LC, Karve CB, Blackland Sabre and Vector, and Timeless Ti oc.

While you may be able to get a good shave from any razor if you use the proper technique, that's not the case for everyone. Razor design definitely matters in the quality of shave that I can achieve.

I'm looking for something a little less efficient than the r41, only slightly but smoother. Would the Lupo 1.27 or Karve CB G-plate, fit this description ?
Depends. The R41 has way less blade gap than the ones you are referencing to. In addition I would say that blade exposure is also larger than the R41 although the R41 can be a little deceptive in that sense.

I find the Karve CB OC-C parts to work really so giving plenty of effectiveness without the potential 41 harshness. The Rocca mentioned in an earlier reply is very good as well.

I am surprised you find the Piccolo too mild. Almost sounds like you are using the Gentile baseplate rather than the open comb?

There are vintage options as well if that is your taste. And of course there are your higher end options too. But I have to admit that absolutely nothing shave like a R41. Pairing it with specific blades increases its smoothness and I have also read good stories about replacing the cap with a RR SLOC or Yaqi Mellon which reportedly also increases smoothness.

Cheers,

Guido

I would have to disagree with this statement. I've said this in many other threads here, so I'll try to be brief. I have thick whiskers that lay flat against my skin on either side of my Adam's Apple, along with a swirl growth pattern. Many razors that are highly recommended here just don't work for me because of the blade chatter I experience in those areas.

The best razors for me are ones that clamp down on the blade very well near the cutting edge. Good examples include the Fatip Piccolo, Gillette New LC, Karve CB, Blackland Sabre and Vector, and Timeless Ti oc.

While you may be able to get a good shave from any razor if you use the proper technique, that's not the case for everyone. Razor design definitely matters in the quality of shave that I can achieve.
What I meant to is that almost all DE razors are the same by design. So the differences between them are never going to be such that one razor totally sucks while the other is brilliant. That at least, has not been experience over the years and the many razors I have had.

The only exception to the above, is a slant. And there's a lot more to them than you'd think, as explained in this thread on a German shave forum. A slant should put the most torque on a blade and offer the least chatter, so you may one to focus on slants with your specific problem.Otherwise I'd look at other types of razors that have a more rigid blade.

What I meant to is that almost all DE razors are the same by design. So the differences between them are never going to be such that one razor totally sucks while the other is brilliant. That at least, has not been experience over the years and the many razors I have had.

Once again, I would have to disagree. They absolutely aren't all the same by design. A Henson mild and an oc Blackbird have nothing in common other than that they hold the same style blade.

I don't mean to pick on the Blackbird or Blackland (I very much like the Sabre and Vector), but the BB is one of the highly regarded razors that just doesn't work for me. And it's not a question of technique. No matter what I did the BB would have blade chatter in places that the Timeless and Piccolo didn't.

The BB clearly works well for a lot of folks and is a highly regarded razor. Still, given my unique whisker characteristics it didn't work for me while the Sabre and Vector did, along with DE razors that securely clamp the blade near the cutting edge.

The BB is great for a lot of people; for me it truly sucked. I returned mine under Blackland's generous return policy. The Timeless .68 oc and .95 oc, on the other hand, are great for me.

I suspect a lot of others here also have some DE razors that are great and some that suck. They aren't all the same.

The best razors for me are ones that clamp down on the blade very well near the cutting edge. Good examples include the Gillette New LC
Doesn't the New LC have a clamp point that's quite far back? You can push the blade all the way down to the guard.
Something like a Tech clamps down at the tip so you can't move the blade (SC too? never used one of those)

Strangely the LC New family gives me the smoothest shave around, despite blade chatter and swirling neck growth (Short strokes, low angle, who knows?)

The Lupo 95 is in between the FaTip and Muhle R41. I have all three and can verify that statement.

I'd never considered the Lupo 95, I didn't know it was so efficient. The Game Changer 1.05 is also meant to be comparable. I'll have to research these ..........

Thanks

Doesn't the New LC have a clamp point that's quite far back? You can push the blade all the way down to the guard.
Something like a Tech clamps down at the tip so you can't move the blade (SC too? never used one of those)

Strangely the LC New family gives me the smoothest shave around, despite blade chatter and swirling neck growth (Short strokes, low angle, who knows?)

The New LC clamps pretty close to the cutting edge. A lot closer than many razors. Here's a picture of my example.

IMG_2610.jpeg

^That's a very nice looking Short Comb New. :thumbup: They're quite different (LC would be too mild for the OP)

Top Bottom