What's new

Impulse bought Christian Dior Sauvage. Regret

I really enjoy most of Dior's line-up but Sauvage was not on my good list. IMO, it's a shame that Dior maintained a similar name/nomenclature of this recent release with it's classic Eau Sauvage fragrance.

Habit Rouge Eau de Parfum. I let myself buy it blind due to the mystique surrounding it. Too feminine for my taste. I only tested it out so I want to trade it for a bottle of Tom Ford Grey Vetiver or Givinchy Vetiver. PM me if interested.

Sorry, Eau Sauvage is my 20 year favourite AS
"A man wearing Eau Sauvage will never feel out of place, out of time or out of luck"

Don't have any clear losers....

Sorry, Eau Sauvage is my 20 year favourite AS
"A man wearing Eau Sauvage will never feel out of place, out of time or out of luck"

Don't have any clear losers....

OP is talking about this....which is garbage....

proxy.php

Not this, which is lovely....

proxy.php

Interesting. I haven't yet sampled Sauvage and am in no real hurry to do it. Seen lots of comments about how crappy it is and I'll hazard a guess why: Ambroxan. This amber fume in Sauvage is also in Prada Luna Rossa and it's like a warhead. A little and it smells good, a little more and it's over the edge and nasty.

Sauvage is a clubbing fragrance like 1 million or Amen to me. If Johnny Depp were still under 30 or married to Amber Heard, he'd be using this. I've been good at avoiding blind buying lately. If I can't get samples, it's off my list. However, I did essentially blind buy Eau Sauvage aftershave and am pleased. The jasmine note was a bit funky, but I like it now. It's refreshing and classy. It doesn't smell old to me. I tried it a few years ago and didn't like the dirty note in the EDT. But now, I like the aftershave.

Sorry guys, not with you on this one - I love Eau Sauvage, has been my #1 for 20-odd years. Still love it. Once in a blue moon I like to wear something else, just to smell different and to feel the rejoice of coming back to my beloved ES :thumbup1:

My #2 pick is Aqua Velva.

I am really picky about buying scents as I don't like the majority of them.

I've not too long ago taken a serious interest is developing a fragrance collection. It had been quite a few years, so I started out by re-obtaining fragrances I enjoyed in the past. Added, on a whim, Qourum to the online cart. It was cheap, had good ratings... not too big of risk, but when I got it, hoo boy... that's just going to be a big nope for me! :bored: (Not to offend anyone who has or enjoys it)

So, I learned early on in building my collection, at minimal expense, a good lesson. Now I try to follow self imposed guidelines. I'm actually quite enjoying the process of vetting fragrances now. Learning as I go and taking my time. :thumbup:

1. Blind buying is not a good idea. Seems the risk is quite a bit higher than blind buying shaving soap/AS.
2. Go to the department stores, sample, and hone in on something I like.
3. Check comprehensive reviews (YouTube, Basenotes), take notes, pay attention to performance consensus and mention of similar fragrances.
4. Obtain samples of the scent I most like as well as those similar, wear them, and be honest how I feel about it irregardless of popular opinion.
5. Consider price minimally. Better to have only a few that work really well, even if more expensive, than a lot of "eh" and "so-so" scents in the collection.
6. Add the scent to the collection only if I truly enjoy it.

Yup...quite a few. Fortunately, all of them were under $20, and are at least "wearable."

Sauvage might grow on you. I didn't like it when I first smelled it, but now, a year later, I own a 100ml bottle.

Top Bottom