What's new

Impressed with Shaving Cream

I need to by honest; I never wanted to give shave creams a chance. I always wanted to stay "old school" and use only soaps to get my lather. However, a friend of mine sent me some to try out and I have to say, I really like it!! I not only find the cream really easy to lather, but I love the shave it gives and the comfort on the skin afterwards. I tried Derby Lemon and Palmolive so far and I will no doubt be trying more!

For one reason or another, creams seem less popular among shaving enthusiasts. But it's a matter of product quality (vs form), ime.
The lather of my best cream, easily compares with that of my (best) hard soap.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Ditto. It's about good and not-so-good, not about soap vs cream.

Cheers, Steve

Soaps dry my skin out. I need a balm/gel/moisturizer if I shave with soaps. Soaps are wonderful - but I prefer creams and get a better 'after shave' feel to my face with them. And my grandfather used creams all his life (he died age 75 in 1987) so yes, creams are old school! :001_smile

For the greater part of three decades I've been a soap guy for three reasons. The first reason is frugality. Hard soaps last an awfully long time. The second reason is happenstance. Many years ago when I was starting our wet shaving, between the very small selection of creams I tried and the small selection of soaps I tried, I found a soap that worked amazingly well for me. The third reason is history. My dad, who has always wet shaved, used Williams Mug Soap and only Williams Mug Soap. So, I considered myself a soap guy and shunned creams.

But, times have changed. I use creams and soaps now, as my whims will have it. I have learned to enjoy shaving and am now willing to spend more on it. I've learned that there is wide variety of properties among products regardless of whether it is a soap or a cream. I've also learned that I enjoy variety, and my dad is a stick in the mud regarding shaving products.

Soaps dry my skin out. I need a balm/gel/moisturizer if I shave with soaps. Soaps are wonderful - but I prefer creams and get a better 'after shave' feel to my face with them. And my grandfather used creams all his life (he died age 75 in 1987) so yes, creams are old school! :001_smile

+1. Agree on all the mentioned benefits and caracteristics. I am 99% cream.

Thanks guys. And I stand corrected, I really did not know that creams have been around that long. At this point, I'm using creams about 80% of the time I shave.

For one reason or another, creams seem less popular among shaving enthusiasts. But it's a matter of product quality (vs form), ime.
The lather of my best cream, easily compares with that of my (best) hard soap.

yeah_that.gif

There are good creams and bad creams and good soaps and bad soaps.... it's all what works for you...... I have a tube of Speick and a tube of Nivea that I bought when I first started and didn't get good results from .. haven't used them in a long time...but the VIA Men cream was my go-to until it ran out...If I re-visited the Speick and Nivea now, I'm sure I'd have a revised opinion...
Like Einstein said, Shaving is Relative.

I've been a cream guy since I started wet shaving. I did order a couple of soap samples from Stirling to give them a try. I keep hearing about the slickness that soap gives you that creams generally don't provide. I look forward to finally having a head to head comparison with these samples.

I started out a cream guy. Didn't try a soap for about a year until very recently. I'm now trying 4 Stirling Samples and am waiting on delivery of pucks of Mitchell's Wool Fat and Haslinger Shafmilch. I really like the Stirling Barber Shop soap. I think as time goes on I'll be 50/50.

I use creams 90% of my shaves. I have several reasons;
1.Mostly because most creams I use are locally available.
2. Last shorter than soaps- I hate that soaps last that long, once I was irritated with Palmolive stick that I flushed it, although it was 1/5th of whole soap left.
3. I started with creams and get used to it.
4. More convenient to pack it for a trip.
5. Our domestic shaving products are creams not soaps

Although I do like soaps, for me it's quallity over type of product, for example I'm not fan of nivea sensitive shaving cream, so the same store that keeps nivea and palmolive creams also keeps wilkinson soap and palmolive stick in that case I'd rather buy stick. So in palmolive case it's rather soap than a cream.
In a case that store keeps both domestic and foreign products I'll buy domestic because I'm used to it, I like scent and performance.

Top Bottom